I don't know why I bother... - Happy Blue!
Coming home tonight, I am at the head of a small queue of cars in a narrow side road, waiting to turn left into very busy and nose to tail main road.

I have just reached the threshold of the junction when a big black and debadged BMW 5-series comes up on my outside and with a good proportion of his car over the centre line of the narrow road. I assume he wants to turn right -- but oh no, he butts his way into the line of cars and turn left, cutting me up.

He then continues to barge his way through the traffic, overtaking through the zigzags on a Pelican crossing and generally being a bully. Three men in the car; large, white and with shaven heads. But they don't act like policemen.....

Why do we bother being polite and paying our taxes when the Govermnent does nothing about these people who make our lives a misery?

Sorry for the rant - I'm just annoyed as this is the fourth or fifth time I have experienced this type of behaviour in the last couple of weeks.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
I don't know why I bother... - Sofa Spud
I saw a Parcel Force van doing this sort of thing recently in Bath. Couldn't believe my eyes - it sped down the right hand lane in a one way street towards a traffic light controlled T-junction then cut across to the left in front of the first car in the line waiting to turn left, just as the lights changed to green, very nearly causing an accident.

Cheers, SS
I don't know why I bother... - Civic8
happens all the time round my way,I really cannot be bothered to worry about it.if I did I think I would be looking at an early grave,these drivers are not worth getting worked up about IMO
--
Steve
I don't know why I bother... - bikemade3
Don't complain about them here, complain to your local plod.
Did that once before and got nowhere.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
I don't know why I bother... - islandman
----He then continues to barge his way through the traffic, overtaking through the zigzags on a Pelican crossing and generally being a bully. Three men in the car; large, white and with shaven heads. But they don't act like policemen.....

And then a great big Hummer with blackened windows came over a bridge and squashed them!! see, your story does have a happy ending after all!
I don't know why I bother... - Aprilia
Don't complain about them here, complain to your local plod.

LOL! Even when I was rammed in the back by a 4x4 the police didn't want to know. Fortunately I managed to get some cash off the owner - one advantage of living in a rural area, you get see the same cars and people every day....
I don't know why I bother... - bikemade3
Exactly my thought isn't it nice to live in a rural area. Travellers in local village were yesterday refused by the deputy PM retrospective planning permission for their caravan park and served 12 months notice to quit the site.

What happens last night, someone in a large 4x4 drove thru' the village comittee chairmans driveway gates and played dodgems with their 2 cars. Result 2 written off cars and smashed up gates.

Obviously this would not have anything to do with the deputy PM's decision would it?

I don't know why I bother... - Civic8
>>Travellers in local village were yesterday refused by the deputy PM retrospective planning permission for their caravan park and served 12 months notice to quit the site.

Would not have made any difference.they have laws of there own.our laws are totally different to what they call Law,very much doubt this will change.Unless the law is brought in ie in police force to remove,I suspect the do gooders who sit on rear ends do nothing apart from preach will prevent it happening,in the mean time we all or most suffer
--
Steve
All this lawlessness is one of the reasons why so many of my business acquaintances are looking at moving to Oz or NZ.
--
I don't know why I bother... - Aprilia
All this lawlessness is one of the reasons why so many
of my business acquaintances are looking at moving to Oz or
NZ.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need
a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?

LOL! A friend of ours moved to Oz and started up a body repair company. He had no end of trouble - things continously getting stolen (mainly be his employees!) and vandals breaking into his compound etc. He came back after three years, poorer but wiser.
NZ is nice, but they drive somewhat 'lawlessly' - in fact I have heard it called the 'road rage capital of the world'. I believe the NZ road death rate is about 4x that of the UK (per mile driven).
I don't know why I bother... - Pete M
Erm, NZ is nice. Up until recently the driving has generally not been up to UK standards as far as courtesy and co-operation. Things are changing, however, and the very strict speeding controls mean that I, for one, have slowed down a little, partly for safety, but also to stop the government getting its hands on my money. On the weekend I took drive with my local car club to a small town known for its thermal springs. In a distance of 280km, I saw nine police traffic cars and had numerous alerts on my radar detector. There is some level of public criticism that our police force is more interested in generating revenue from the motoring public than they are in fighting crime. Anyone driving 'lawlessly' in New Zealand will come very rapidly unstuck these days.
As for the road toll, the roads here are basically rural "A" roads between cities, and in the countryside, all 'B' roads. The only motorways are within or around the five major cities. The only median barriers are on those motorways, much of which would be called 'dual carriageway' in the UK. This means that driving will always be more dangerous than in the UK, where you can usually make a good proportion of a long trip on a six-lane motorway.
Road rage does occur, but I'm not sure where the information about it being the 'capital' came from. It's fairly rare, and we haven't had any 'Noyes' type incidents that I can remember. Quite a number of accidents are caused by tourists who are not used to driving on roads with curves, or keeping to the left.
Finally, there were a large number of Camper Vans hired by rugby enthusiasts from the UK during the British and Irish Lions tour of New Zealand earlier this year. Bar one tragic (and fatal) road accident, they were excellent ambassadors, and behaved and drove very well. It was a pleasure to have them in our country, and I hope that they will come back soon, perhaps to stay.
I don't know why I bother... - codefarm
Agreed - I was lucky to have the opportunity to move to the US where things are much better regulated. Where I live is a nice town of 100,000 people which is spotlessly clean, with very little crime, excellent schools, parks with no chavs, druggies or alkies, and plenty of places to park (free)!

And if a bunch of 'travellers' moved onto somebody's land here, I very much doubt they'd get 12 hours notice to quit, much less 12 months.

I don't know why I bother... - uk2usa
Agreed - I was lucky to have the opportunity to move
to the US where things are much better regulated. Where I
live is a nice town of 100,000 people which is spotlessly
clean, with very little crime, excellent schools, parks with no chavs,
druggies or alkies, and plenty of places to park (free)!
And if a bunch of 'travellers' moved onto somebody's land here,
I very much doubt they'd get 12 hours notice to quit,
much less 12 months.

Well, the US can be a mixed bag. I'm not sure about the excellent schools. No druggies or alkies? I used to get heckled all the time by these folks in Phoenix. Even in affluent Santa Monica & Santa Barbara, CA there are loads of them. On the other hand, good suburban areas seem relatively safe and trouble free. I really like the US, but like everywhere else, it has its share of social problems too.
I don't know why I bother... - codefarm
>>Well, the US can be a mixed bag.<<

Definitely no argument there. But fortunately, as I have found, there is a great deal of good in the bag as well!

I don't know why I bother... - uk2usa
And if a bunch of 'travellers' moved onto somebody's land here,
I very much doubt they'd get 12 hours notice to quit,
much less 12 months.

I do agree about this though. The travellers are likely to get shot, or at very least get their caravans peppered, if they hang around too long....
I don't know why I bother... - Vin {P}
"I don't know why I bother"

You bother because you are a civilising influence. Your adherence to the rules is quietly (and unknowingly, perhaps) acknowledged by the 999 in 1000 who are like you, who appreciate that rules make the world run a little better.

The Buddha says that we should accept the world as it is, not as we would wish it to be. The driver you saw will probably always behave the way he did. That's the way the world is, so it needs accepting.

Once you've accepted that this is the way the world is, you'll find your anger levels go down about these incidents: why would you get agitated about seeing just what you expect to see?

Finally, what will happen to him in the long run? Well, if the Buddha is right, it looks like he's in for a few lifetimes of suffering before achieving enlightenment. That'll learn him.

V