Pungent new car smell - Renault Megane - alapppy
HI

I bought my wife a new Renault Megane The interior has a really pungent smell. Not sure if its from all the plastic or carpets. When the car stands in the sun for a while its even worse! Any idea how to reduce or eliminate the smell!! I have bought new cars before but this is in a league of its own

Thanks
Alan
Pungent new car smell - Altea Ego
Unusual,, new renaults are one of the less smelly cars.

Pungent new car smell - Mordroc
My wife bought a brend new Skoda Fabia and it also smelt bad inside to the point of actually making you feel sick :(
We pinpointed it down to the screenwash that was collecting near the air vents and smelling something rotten. It worked for us so it may be worth a look.
Good Luck
Pungent new car smell - Renault Megane - volvoman
Try putting some fresh cat litter in a cloth bag or something (e.g an old pillowcase and leave it under one of the seats.
Pungent new car smell - Renault Megane - BB
SWMBO Renault Migraine still has the bad smell inside. It is an 03 plate.

Even with us smoking heavily inside for two years (gave up 3 weeks ago though!) the pungent smell is still there and masks any tobacco smell.
Pungent new car smell - Renault Megane - Xileno {P}
Mine, an 04 model - no smell at all. Used to smoke in it but when I gave up a few months ago had it professionally valeted.

I am sure there are lots of people who would long for the smell of a new car though...
Pungent new car smell - Renault Megane - frmarcus
As well as cat litter, perhaps you could try something like Febreze on the upholstery and even the plastics - but there's bound to be a professional product that can be used to treat the surfaces... I got a little device that attaches to the air vent and plugs into the lighter socket from Halfords - producing ozone - so it claims - when activated by the vent, so making the interior 'fresher'. Good luck!
frmarcus
Pungent new car smell - Renault Megane - Stuartli
Neutradol is far superior to Febreze - it kills bacteria rather than masking the smell for a while. Air fresheners also mask rather than actually get rid of the cause.

There are now variations on Neutradol such as Oust or the Dettol equivalent, but Neutradol is the original (IIRC).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Pungent new car smell - Renault Megane - Stuartli
By the way, my initial reaction to such a query is that the catalyst is the cause.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by