Warranty rip off - Torquay Phil
My wife has an 03 Clio which has a manufacturer/dealer warranty valid until March 06. As the windscreen washers have packed up I told her to just book it in to the local dealer - "i'm sure it will be covered under warranty".

Not having owned a car with warranty that has needed work, she casually checked that there would be no costs incurred for the work. We were staggered to be advised that a charge of £60 would be made to diagnose the fault, and this was non refundable whether covered on warranty or not. I have subsequently looked on the GSF website and a new pump (which I suspect is what is required) is £8.50 + VAT!!!!!

Is it me, but what is the point of the warranty, and is this common practise??
Warranty rip off - Altea Ego
This is utter rubbish. There is no charge payable of any kind if the washer has a genuine malfunction.

May be a bit of communication issue at work here, they probably said its 60 quid if we find nothing wrong with it.
Warranty rip off - Dynamic Dave
probably said its 60 quid if we find nothing wrong with it.

Or if the washer bottle tank needed cleaning out.
Warranty rip off - Xileno {P}
Or even filling with water!

Don't laugh, SWMBO has had this problem...
Warranty rip off - Altea Ego
That was the scenario I had in mind.....
Warranty rip off - Nsar
Blimey guys - you're sticking the boot in a bit here aren't you?
Warranty rip off - Dynamic Dave
Torquay Phil,

I think you need to contact Renault Customer Services (details in the link below) and ask them to clarify whether or not what the dealer has told you is correct. I *suspect* it's as RF suggests, it's a communication issue and they'll only charge if what ever is wrong isn't covered by the warranty.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=34...4
Warranty rip off - Torquay Phil
Hi all

Thanks for the advice everyone. After a moan, the renault dealer eventually agreed to waive charge, but, their policy is definately pay for up to an hours labour charge to diagnose fault at £57 + VAT per hour whether the fault is covered by the warranty or not!

Phil
Warranty rip off - martint123
I'd check to see who is really providing the warranty. Insurance company, manufacturer, dealer. Does the warranty document mention this 'diagnostic charge'. This strikes me as a blatant ripoff.