Windscreen Mist Film - Deryck Tintagel
Now that the damp mornings are becoming more frequent I have noticed that I am getting a film of mist on the windscreen that refuses to go with the wipers. It will disappear once the car has been moving for a while but takes about a half mile! This is not so good when the sun is low in the sky.

Does anybody else have a problem with this?

I changed the wiper blades at the start of summer and have tried using glass cutting polish on the screen to remove any residue. Would water dispersants help, I wonder?
Windscreen Mist Film - Altea Ego
Yes I have this, goes away when the screen is warmed a bit.

DO NOT put dispersants on the windscreen.
Windscreen Mist Film - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Basically just press the demist button. The aircon shifts it very fast. Noticed this in SWMBO Mazda and my Passat.
I was trying to save fuel by driving with the aircon off.
Took a while to notice the very slight misting.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Windscreen Mist Film - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Sorry - was talking about interior of screen.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Windscreen Mist Film - Pete M
Yes I have this, goes away when the screen is warmed
a bit.
DO NOT put dispersants on the windscreen.

Oh come on RF, lots of people are very pleased with Rain-X and other rain repellents. It snowed here yesterday, and the snowflakes were just bouncing off the screen without sticking, I didn't even need the wipers. Aircraft have been using this technology for years. If you don't like them, fine. But it doesn't mean they don't work very well for most people. At least rain repellent is something to try out.
Windscreen Mist Film - Altea Ego
Pete M,

there are EVEN more people who would curse the day they ever put a dispersant on the windscreen. MAny many posts on here from people tearing out hair about trying to get it off.
Windscreen Mist Film - Clean_Image
There is a knack to applying dispersants... I can't give advice because it varies from brand to brand. But some you need to use very spaingly, others you need to put loads on - either way you need to make sure you buff the excess off properly. De-misters are very good. They don't seem to stop the mist totally, but they make the windows de-mist far quicker. They are good enough for the RAF!
Windscreen Mist Film - steveo30
i get the film you talk of...i think its just a matter of waiting that 1/2 mile

as for rain x ...i use it on the side windows to great effect, not so keen on having it on the screen, ive found it works differant on differant types of car..i.e older vs newer etc
Windscreen Mist Film - Red Baron
Yes, I know exactly the film you mean - its on the outside of the screen and most of the time it is almost as if patterns of (dirt, bird droppings, smears etc) are etched into the glass.

The simplest quick fix is to pour warm water over the screen. One litre at 40°C is warm enough.

Any dispersant would soon be worn away by the wipers or leave you with other side effects (Rain-X).
The thing about Rain-X and the like is that they reduce the amount you need to use your wipers anyway, so it doesn't get worn off as quickly as you would think. I generally get about three months out of a front windscreen treatment.
From some comments, are there different types of glass used for windscreens now? I know about toughened/laminated but assuming all are now laminated, someone said that some have different glass types. I thought glass was glass...
Perhaps that's why some curse Rain-X, whereas I've had no trouble with it.
Windscreen Mist Film - Deryck Tintagel
I tried the use of the front demisters this morning and it certainly removed the misting quite quickly. I didn't expect the interior demister to help on the outside!

I'll give the windscreen another good polish this weekend to see if that helps.
Windscreen Mist Film - pmh
....They are good enough for the RAF!.....

Thats probably because they are subject to winds at several hundred mph that disperse the thin film that gives so much trouble in light rain conditions!

I would probably refuse to buy a car that had had Rain X on the windscreen, (unless a replacement new screen came with it!)

Terrible stuff, except on side windows. I think you will find that balance of opinion on this site agrees.

--

pmh (was peter)

Windscreen Mist Film - Clean_Image
I would probably refuse to buy a car that had had Rain X on the windscreen, (unless a replacement new screen came with it!)

We apply it to a lot of our customers cars, doing all the glass wear including wing mirrors and lights. We collect feedback from our customers, yet we have never had a single complain about these products. Its one of those things that we sometimes throw in for free to our regular customers... we only get good feedback!

Honestly, I put it on everything - I have it on my specs, and my bathroom mirror!
...I'm not here to plug Rain-X, in fact I think it is too expensive (trade prices) and we now import a similar product in bulk from a manufacturer in the US.

I have made some enquires amoung our guys who actually apply the stuff, and they tell be that you should ignore the instructions on the bottles that says wipe on, buff off... they say that you CAN buff the stuff off, but you need a machine going at 2000rpm to do it!
Instead, you put it on with a small sponge, and then wipe off with a damp cloth, only then you can buff it if you need too.

You should also note that there are other brands such as Aquapel and Jewelultra, I know from experience that the latter is easier to apply.

And by the way, if you do have problems with these products, there is no need to replace the screen, meths, surgical spirit, dry cleaning fluid, or de-icer are all strong enough to remove it.
Windscreen Mist Film - Dr Rubber
The military version of Rain-X is a different animal to the stuff you buy in your local car accessory shop. For starters it costs several hundred pounds per small bottle, and second its a pig to put on (I know I used to do it). Works a treat though! On cars it lasts for years when properly applied, Aircraft around 12 months.
The key for all these products is to get the glass very clean (cerium oxide polish, followed by an alkaline detergent), then rinse off with water. They often need to glass to have a molecular layer of water present to "stick" to the glass.

Joe
p.s. One rain storm at 300+ mph can erode a plastic screen badly! Its not just for passenger comfort they avoid storms.
Windscreen Mist Film - patently
Can anyone help with the red mist that appears from time to time?

;-)
Windscreen Mist Film - Bromptonaut
Have experienced this on the last few mornings. Simply dewfall (condensation) re forming on the cold screen, though for some reason it forms more readily in what look like patches of road splash or bird poo residue. As others say it's soon cleared by application of demister heat.

Directing cold air con output via the demister vents may exacerbate the problem by further lowering the temperature of the glass.

Ahh! Red mist!

The best way to clear this is to put the air con on very cold and / or open all the windows and tune in to Classic FM.

Watch that mist clear... :)
Then again, just hope that they are not playing Wagners Ride of the Valkyre!
Windscreen Mist Film - $till $kint
Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet (LSO c. Previn) is doing a fine job for me at the moment.
Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet (LSO c. Previn) is doing a fine
job for me at the moment.

Oooh, when I hear that, I always wish I was driving a tank. The power, the power!
Sorry about that, I think I was affected by the music.
Good thing I can rely on Rain-X for a clear windscreen.
Windscreen Mist Film - Cyd
The greyish film you see on the inside of your windscreen that seems to show up most when you've just got in the car (breath condensation) or driving into the sun is in fact airbourne plasticisers settling on the screen surface after 'evaporating' from the vinyl in your trim (mostly the facia, which often has acres of vinyl). It is the loss of these plasticisers that eventually leads to vinyl (and other soft plastics) going hard and cracking. To prevent this manufacturers put even more plasticisers in the mix leading to more film on your screen. You should clean it off with any cleaner.

Personally I use Rain-X on my screens and side windows and love it. The rain just runs off allowing less use of the wipers. Vision is also much improved because the water beads and so sits on less glass area leaving you more glass to see out of. I also find bugs are easier shifted by the wash wipe system.