New car tax rules?? - franco
Does anyone know what would happen if your tax was up for renewal, but your car didn't have an MOT on it?? The way I understand it you have to renew your tax straight away, but you also need an MOT certificate to renew your car tax.

I have both coming up soon and I don't want to be running around trying to get work for the MOT just because of this new law. Do they make exceptions or is it just a stupid rule??
New car tax rules?? - borasport20
You can't tax the car without a valid mot, nothing new about that.

Nothing in the world is stopping you getting the Mot done in advance

New car tax rules?? - mare
I don't think it's a new law. It's been the case in the 16 years that I've owned a car!

Can't you use last year's MOT, or are you saying that the MOT's ran out?
New car tax rules?? - artful dodger {P}
A car can be MOTed up to 30 days prior to the expiry of the existing MOT and dated to run from the existing MOT expiry. This should give you plenty of time to get your MOT done prior to Road Tax expiring.

Hope this helps and also spreads the cost slightly.
--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to add to the thread.
New car tax rules?? - Armitage Shanks {p}
You can get a year's tax, on say 1st October, with an MOT that expires on 6th October. That is the tax sorted for a year but you will be, technically speaking, illegal when the MOT expires. I imagine that if you have to tax the car but, on the due date, you can't 'cos of no MOT then you would have to declare SORN on it until it was MOT'd.
New car tax rules?? - franco
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I will have to get it done sharpish then or risk being fined. I was waiting for a family member to do some work on it, hence wanting to delay it, but will have to pay to get the work done.
New car tax rules?? - Bromptonaut
If tax and MoT are both already expired you need to get them sorted sharpish if the car is still being driven. If not you'll buy a packet of trouble.

If it's off the road for long you need to SORN it. If it's only off the road for a few days and you don't SORN it you'll still need to tax it from the first day of the month following expiry.

The (relativley) new bit is the fine if the car is neither retaxed nor SORN'd a month after the old tax is up. This kicks in if (for an August expiry) it gets to 1 October and you've done nothing.
New car tax rules?? - Dwight Van Driver
...... and not forgetting that you can drive to a Test Centre without Excise and Test Certificate PROVIDING that a pre arranged test has been booked and after test back home.

dvd