Incar CCTV - pdc {P}
Does anyone know if "in car CCTV" exists? If not it should!

I was in court last week at the case of the driver who pulled out into the side of my car on the M62 in March. Although the magistrate said that I was a credible witness, and that the defendant was inconsistent, there was not enough evidence to convict him beyond reasonable doubt.

Overnight someone has driven into my car outside my house, and caused damage similar to that of the March accident, which means another claim on the insurance, as it was a £1200 repair.

Given the size of cameras, and cheapness of electronics these days, someone (maybe even the car manufacturers) should develop a system of in car cameras which monitor the outside of the vehicle, so that evidence is available to determine who is responsible for accidents. 4 would suffice at a minimum, mounted at the B pillars, pointing forwards and backwards.

Maybe it's time I made use of my electronics degree.
Incar CCTV - AngryJonny
I've noticed that taxis in Holland have some sort of CCTV camera system fitted called "snapshot" or suchlike. The idea being to get a good shot of the passengers should they attack the driver or nick something and run. Maybe they only take photos periodically or something, but I'd imagine something similar could be rigged up with cameras pointing forwards and backwards.

The irony, of course, would be if someone broke into your car to steal it.
Incar CCTV - Colonel Panic
All you would need is a DVR system taht records to HDD and a few cameras, however, good quality cameras with lenses that will give a usefull picture in difficult lighting would be very expensive. CCTV footage can't be used in small claims court either.
Sorry for any typos Im very long sited
Incar CCTV - smokie
Something like this tinyurl.com/cfxp6 or this tinyurl.com/7jhuh or tinyurl.com/9pjy4?

Saw soomething like these on one of those American Police Camera Action - footage from inside an ordinary car taken on one of these kinds of devices immediately before an accident. IIRC they are currently being fitted voluntarily in the US but once piloted and their usefulness proven, they may become standard equipment.
Incar CCTV - nortones2
I thought I'd seen something about a serious attempt to use CCTV in-car: www.obsusa.com/news/media/autoexpress_march05.txt

One relevant bit: "Called Insight, the system is coming to the UK ? and we met up with importer Martin Booker, from Electronic Product Distribution in Maidstone, Kent, to see if the gadget could help us catch a thief."

And the bonus: Tailgating close behind and waving my anger, l was an easy target. "Even if you press the button after the incident, you'll still catch the other driver thanks to the pre-record." explained Martin. Had he wanted to, Martin could have handed this damning evidence of my bad driving to the police!

I'd love to present incontrovertible evidence against our local lunatic driver next time she drives 6" off the back-bumper.
Incar CCTV - mare
Really good idea. Along with a black box (which can't be too expensive can it?) it should cut out all the nonsense of insurance claims when people claim it wasn't their fault when it so obviously was.

You never know, it may cut insurance costs!
Incar CCTV - mare
I forgot, cue "loss of privacy" argument from stage right in 3, 2, 1.....
Incar CCTV - codefarm
In car video like the police use is a good idea. Would certainly have shown I was not to blame in the one accident I have had.
Incar CCTV - Big Bad Dave
Couldn?t you fix one to the wall of your house and point it at your car overnight. Surely Innovations catalogue has ?em.
Incar CCTV - tack
B&Q does a fairly cheap CCTV for home use. You can purchase a seperate transponder thingy with it to connect more than one cam to. Total cost I think is a penny short of £100. I think they react to movement too. That would sort out things for home use.

No idea what you can do for the car.....maybe a cheap lappy and web cam connected? Indiscreet though and a nuisance having to disconnect and hide it every time you stop.
Incar CCTV - injection doc

In car CCTV does excist ! unlike my post that just dissapeared !

I have them fitted in my cars and it has resulted in a sucessfull prosectution as a bonus! I also leave mine on when parked in tescos' in case of a ding !

http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/shop/cat_1.html

I have used for a few years now

Incar CCTV - Avant

I do apologise, Injection doc: I had to hide a post above yours which was trying to advertise its author's product. Nothing wrong with quoting a website where you as a customer have had satisfaction, so it shouldn't have disappeared.

Incar CCTV - injection doc

Thank you Avant, no problem. I was sure I had posted and read it back and the next thing was it had gone ! LOL