Leaking rear shocks - MOT Failure? - UncleR
I put my car (1999 BMW 318ti Compact) in for a service at a main dealers 3 months ago. On the list of faults they provided, one was that both rear shock absorbers needed replacing. The service lad said they were both 'leaking'. They quoted £157 plus vat.

I didn't get this done because I knew my MOT was coming up so thought I'd wait until the MOT confirmed it. It passed the MOT.

I assumed that leaking rear shocks is an MOT fail - or am I wrong? If so, it would seem that I may need further advice on how to tackle this eager-to-do-work dealer. But first, I need to check whether the apparently leaking shocks should have failed the MOT.

Thanks
Leaking rear shocks - MOT Failure? - nick
If they were leaking, they should have failed. I'd get a rear wheel off and have a look myself. Either MOT tester is myopic or the dealer is looking for work.
Leaking rear shocks - MOT Failure? - Galaxy
A very slight leak could give you a pass but with a warning.

Were you given a warning about them at the MOT?
Leaking rear shocks - MOT Failure? - UncleR
No warning at all. The MOT place I go to is a very well established business and I would be surprised if they made a mistake. I'll have a look myself (or try!).
Leaking rear shocks - MOT Failure? - Armitage Shanks {p}
You might find this link useful if you need shocks and dont want the price to be a shock!

www.gsfcarparts.com
Leaking rear shocks - MOT Failure? - Colonel Panic
Maybe the water or dirt made the leaks hard to spot.
Like the other poster says, go to GSF or Eurocarparts, and get BOGE/SACHS OEM ones, see if you can get mounting parts to (boot, bumps stop etc... and get these from dealer if not available)
, and then have them fitted at a tyre/exhaust/shock place for £20 cash or so. They really are easy to fit on most BMWs.
Leaking rear shocks - MOT Failure? - John S
Could well be that it was a minor leak and the first garage wiped off the oil. At the subsequent MOT there was therefore litle evidence on which to fail the car. Depends how fast the oil is leaking out, but visible leakage is a sign of impending failure, both of dampers and MOT.

JS
Leaking rear shocks - MOT Failure? - Spannerman1962
Shockers have to leak excessively which means the oil has to be running down the shocker the other criteria or reason for rejection is excessive rebound
A tester should have issued an advisory notice to this effect
Incidentally I am a tester in classes1/2/4/5/and 7

{Post edited to remove SHOUTING (ie, posting solely in upper case letters) DD}
On a slight tangent, spannerman, does the rubber boot on a strut have to be sound to pass? The ones on my old Triumph are in tatters, no leaks though.
Leaking rear shocks - MOT Failure? - jc
Do what I did ,trim them straight with a pair of scissors.
Leaking rear shocks - MOT Failure? - Spannerman1962
On a slight tangent, spannerman, does the rubber boot on a
strut have to be sound to pass? The ones on my
old Triumph are in tatters, no leaks though.

the rubber boot is not a testable item but the bumpstops are if fitted
if u have a nearside u must have an offside
if they are both missing thats ok CRAZY but true
Thanks for that Spannerman.