Power Steering - Volvo S60 - Audikid

Bought an '04 plate S60 a couple of months back as a second car - first Volvo after a series of Audis and I love it. Smooth 5 cylinder engine with 5 speed auto and all the toys for less than a price of a 1 year old Golf.... anyway...

After the 1st week of driving I noticed that the pipe coming out of the bottom of the power steering resovoir was leaking very slightly and was low on fluid. Straight into dealer who replaced pipe, resovoir and fluid.

Checked a few weeks later and low on fluid - topped up and the level has remained okay so assumed just an air pocket. However I do notice that when the engine is hot and I'm parking the steering does lack some assistance and appears heavy at parking speeds - but only when hot. When I take the top off the PS resovoir it seems under pressure and I can feel air being released - a bit like taking the top off the header tank of a hot engine.

Tried this in my A4 and there is no pressure hot or cold. Does this point to air leak somewhere on the power steering system or is this normal. Should take it back to the dealer but the local one is awful and its a long trek across town to the other....

Any ideas would be welcome!
Power Steering - Volvo S60 - WipeOut
I've had exactly the same problem with mine.

Hot days, lack of power of power steering. Initially Volvo thought it was cracked reserviors causing the problem. But when I was on my third I asked Volvo to replace the pump. This seemed to solve the problem and it's been fine since. I suspect that a pressure valve or something failed in the pump and was sending pressure to the reserviour which would then crack, and not to the wheels (hence lack of power assistance).

Hope this helps.

Had any problems with your cruise control?

Power Steering - Volvo S60 - Audikid

Thanks for your prompt response - I'll get it booked in again and see if they fancy changing the pump under warrenty!!!

No problems with cruise!!