MOT failure (tyre) query - smokie
The Omega failed it's MOT yesterday on nsr tyre (which happens to be the newest one, only a few months old) - the tyre is wearing around the inner edge and has a bulge. They suggested a four way tracking as well as a new tyre.

Anyway, the question: my spare is virtually new but on a steel rim (and is a different size). If I'd thought quickly enough, could I have replaced the wheel with the spare, left the spare round the corner to collect later and had a successful retest? (I understand a spare isn't part of the test if it isn't present)

It's a PITA now as I have to have a full retest done (albeit free) which is another hour hanging around a grotty garage. Within 24 hours they told me that they'd only need to retest the failing part.
MOT failure (tyre) query - mfarrow
could I have replaced the wheel with the spare, left
the spare round the corner to collect later and had a
successful retest?

In a word, yes, but I think the only wheels that are tested are those attached to the car, so you can leave the spare in the boot anyway.

What make is the tyre? It seems very odd that it's developed a bulge after only a few months, unless you recall it suffering a severe bump at some stage, which may also explain the tracking problem.

--------------
Mike Farrow
It was a Goodyear.

A local place "did me a deal" so for £100 each I now have 2 new rear Dunlops.

The tyre was worn unevenly across the tread. The inner side inch or so was v smooth, and it was in that area that it was bulging. Although the tyre was no more than 6 months old I've done quite a few miles in that time.

The MOT guy said 4 way tracking because the front whees might be out of lne with teh back. That is, on each axle they are correctly aligned but axle to axle they may be offset.

!------!

>!------!

Like that, if it makes sense. The problem tyre was nsr but the front offside has similar wear on the inner band of tread (not illegal though).

It was 4 way laser tracked about 14 months ago and no problem found. I had that done when pursuing a noise problem.

I feel I just have to accept the cost of tyres every so often. The car isn't costing me too much anyway now...

MOT failure (tyre) query - martint123
Anyway, the question: my spare is virtually new but on a steel rim (and is a different size).

If your spare is a different size then it would be a fail if it was fitted.
www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm

Reason for rejection

1a. One tyre is of a different nominal size or aspect ratio to any other on the same axle.
b. Special lightweight or space saving wheels and tyres fitted as road wheels
Thanks. Odd that it's fitted as a spare then really. Obviously it's on a steel rim (the rest are alloys), and with directional tyres it has to be able to be fitted either side. I guess that's why it's different.