renault espace 2.2 engine replacement - qz
Hoping someone can give advice on my renault espace 2.2 td - have been advised the engine needs complete replacement after the water pump has gone and woodruff key missing from keyway on cam?? obviously new engine costs fortune - not sure whether this is viable for age of car. have also been told that maybe other types of engines can be fitted (cheaper alternatives). the cheapest quote i have had is £1600 for a recon. thanks
renault espace 2.2 engine replacement - Xileno {P}
Alas, on the older 2.2dTi engines, the crankshaft thrust washers could work loose. I suspect this is what has happened.
Fitting a different type of engine is rarely feasible, you will have trouble linking everything together. I don't think you have any option but to source a recon engine.

Fortunately the 2.2 dCi engine seems to be fixed.
renault espace 2.2 engine replacement - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
With the right engineering facilities and know-how anything is possible but not really feasible in your case. £1600 sounds reasonable as changing the engine on one of these beasties is a long (and painful) job, I know, I did it on mine - twice! Breaking down the cost, how much are you paying for the engine and for the fitting? Its around 15 hours labour. Does the cost include a new clutch and possibly a new dual mass flywheel and regassing the A/C afterwards? Also while its in bits and you can get to it fit a new clutch hydraulic system (modified) and replace the cabin filters. Fit a new starter motor regardless and wash out the heater matrix.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
renault espace 2.2 engine replacement - qz
The £1600 is for the engine only (with a quote for approx. £700 for labour)- this does not include the cost for the clutch and is not re-con. It is a turbo diesel (basic with no air con - not dci or dti engine). Seriously thinking about selling car as it is - although the car is otherwise in mint cond. debateable whether change of engine is financially viable. You said you've fitted espace engines before any recommendations where I can get my hands on one (cheap and reliable!!) - think people can sense how green I am on this one. Thanks
renault espace 2.2 engine replacement - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
The price you have been quoted seems realistic. The car is worthless as is but how much is the replacement going to cost? Far more than the cost of replacing the engine. Other options may be to have your own unit reconditioned as long as the thrust washers havent fallen out and allowed the crank to beat up the block it is a viable option. Check locally for a reconditioner who is affiliated to the Federation of Engine Reconditioners (FER) and seek his advice.
I rebuilt my engine so didnt source a recon but worth trying Renault.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!