How do I remove Rain-X? - Blue {P}
I used the windscreen wipers for the first time today and I'm gutted to see that the previous owner has used Rain-X or something similar on the screen, it's working great on the side windows, but it reduces visibility to zero when using the wipers on the front. :-(

I know that the stuff wears off eventually, but does anyone know of a way to speed this up? Obviously the formula is designed to resist general cleaning with glass cleaner etc. so I was wondering if anyone knows of a household chemical that may start to remove it? I was thinking White Spirit perhaps or does it not have to be as strong as that?

I don't really want to just let nature take it's course, I'm too impatient!

Blue
How do I remove Rain-X? - doctorchris
Glass cleaner should work or ,if not, meths.
How do I remove Rain-X? - El Hacko
did not "old wives" always say that vinegar and old newspaper was the way to clean glass properly?
How do I remove Rain-X? - Oz
I was thinking White Spirit perhaps or does it not have to be
as strong as that?

I don't know whether white spirit will work or not on Rain-X, but it's really quite a weak solvent compared with the likes of e.g. cellulose thinners (avoid the latter unless absolutely necessary).
White spirit easily dissolves grease, tar, etc., which water and detergent don't do successfully. Short of long-term immersion in the stuff, it won't do any harm.
Oz (as was)
How do I remove Rain-X? - Aprilia
Go to a car paint factors and get a litre of 'panel wipe' - that should shift it.
How do I remove Rain-X? - Stuartli
Buy a packet or liquid version of Soda Crystals at modest cost and make up a solution with water - it's perfect for removing grease etc from glass and a wide variety of surfaces (only proviso is not to use it on aluminium).

Afterwards your other half will appreciate its value for cleaning purposes around the house, kitchen and in the washing machine....:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Some information about Soda Crystals:

www.dripak.co.uk/sodacrystals.htm

www.cleaning-up.co.uk/
How do I remove Rain-X? - sierraman
You could apply a fresh coat,then it would work properly.
>>You could apply a fresh coat,then it would work properly.>>

My motto has always been to NEVER put anything on the windscreen on the lines of RainX - it's one of the reasons I use a wax-free car wash shampoo, as the wash 'n wax type leave enough on the screen to cause annoying smearing for some time afterwards.
How do I remove Rain-X? - tack
Careful with the white spirit. I saw a news story today (The Metro) about some poor woman murdered by having a quantity of white spirit poured over her. The substance caused such severe burns it killed her. I have used white spirit to clean grease or paint off my hands. Not sure I will do now.
How do I remove Rain-X? - artful dodger {P}
Hello Blue

A wholesaler of glass once told me the best way to clean smears of any kind from a windscreen was to use a 0000 wire wool (I prefer Liberon wire wool as it is the finest available). It will not scratch the glass, but is just abrasive enought to remove anything on the surface of the glass. The only thing you have to be careful about is to clean away any dust from the wire wool with a vacuum cleaner othersie rust marks will appear in a short while. I can testify that cleaning with wire wool works exeptionally well.
How do I remove Rain-X? - adverse camber
My patent cleaner for windscreens is toothpaste. It's a very mild abrasive and cuts through grease. need to rinse thoroughly afterwards though. (spitting optional).

Leaves a nice smell as well.

How do I remove Rain-X? - Big Bad Dave
"use a 0000 wire wool"

Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!

I cleaned the fungus off the inside of my sister?s fish tank with wire wool and completely ruined it. Couldn?t see the fish.
How do I remove Rain-X? - artful dodger {P}
Hey Big Bad Dave,

Are you sure you used 0000 wire wool? Most manufacturers do not supply a good 0000 grade. I did mention Liberon 0000 as their grade 000 is the equivalent to other manufacturers grade 0000. This means the Liberon is very soft, I do use quite a lot of wire wool at work and can vouch for the superior quality.

The glass fitted in most fish tanks is a different formulation to regular float glass, let alone a windscreen. It is usually made with a softer surface - hence it will scratch easier. The same applies to the glass in many scanners and photocopiers.
How do I remove Rain-X? - bert-j
I was stupid enough to use Rain-X once on an older Passat. I tried everything to remove it; all I did was make my hands raw with various aggressive cleaners. In the end, believe it or not, I was so desperate that I had a new windscreen fitted!
How do I remove Rain-X? - drbe
Silly question?

Is rain-x not all it's cracked up to be?
How do I remove Rain-X? - Altea Ego
I agree with stuart rarely, but he is right. Nothing, including wax, should go on to the windscreen.

Blue? I think a stone should hit your windsceen.

How do I remove Rain-X? - adamj23
I made the mistake if trying RainX, its terrable stuff left my windscreen very greasy and difficult to see out of when raining. I applied it carefully following the instructions on the bottle - which went in the bin!
How do I remove Rain-X? - Tim Allcott
I agree with some of the problems people have experienced: However, I once drove through a French Thunderstorm (proper Mediterranean variety) with freshly applied RainX. I could see: the rain was so heavy it had most of the French stopped on the hard shoulder.
Tim{P}
>>I agree with stuart rarely, but he is right.>>

Reminds me of the Bob Dylan song, the one on the lines of the times are a changin'...:-)
How do I remove Rain-X? - BobbyG
I think the general consensus is that Rain X is good for side windows but no good for windscreens. Basically it is designed to put a layer of film on the glass and the air turbulence to blow it off at speed. The problem is you need to be doing speed, there is no point in trying to get out the supermarket car park without using your wipers. So as soon as you use the wipers - the smearing begins.....
How do I remove Rain-X? - Altea Ego
>>I agree with stuart rarely, but he is right.>>
Reminds me of the Bob Dylan song, the one on the
lines of the times are a changin'...:-)

Dont get carried away, its a one off
How do I remove Rain-X? - Pugugly {P}
Blue,

Newsprint initially, followed by the newsprint and Vinegar. Change the wiper blades wall as the dreaded wax might be on them.

PU
How do I remove Rain-X? - Tony Bee
Try Silvo silver polish. DO NOT use Brasso.
Apart from a solution containing Soda Crystals which I mentioned earlier as excellent for safely removing grease or similar deposits, I am very keen on AutoGlym's Glass Cleaner which is probably the best product of its type I've used in 41 years of four-wheel road use.
Well, the wipers do need replacing anyway as I've noticed the rubber has split on one of them.

Today I've tried scrubbing neat washing up liquid into the screen in case it is a greasy film, then I tried vinegar, then I tried Turps Substitute, then I finished off with Auto GLymn polish. None of it made any difference at all.

Tommorow I'm going to try boiling water (when the screen is warm of course) and very, very careful application of cellulose thinners to the screen if that doesn't work.

Failing that I may leave it to wear off by itself. Can anyone remember how long it lasts if left to it's own devices? I was thinking about 6 months would be right before it starts to disappear.

I know this stuff is useless, even when applied as per instructions it never works on the front screen, only ever good on side windows.

I'm a bit nervous about the wire wool idea in case it leaves a hazy finish on the glass, I may try getting some panel wipe first, but is that any different to cellulose thinners?

Oh, and does anyone know what Rain X is actually made up of?

Blue
>>Then I finished off with Auto GLymn polish>>

Surely not?

Side and rear windows yes, but not on the windscreen....:-)

How do I remove Rain-X? - Pete M
My two cents' worth: I've been using Rain-X and similar products for about twenty years now. I first used some of the product made for aircraft windscreens before the commercial product was available, but Rain-X or Rain Racer works just as well. There is also a liquid that is added to the washer bottle that helps preserve the coating. I have never had a problem with 'horrible smearing' or such like. You can get interesting effects under street lighting, but a flick of the wipers clears the droplets. In cold weather, when wiped, the droplets can form a sort of misty effect as they are so small. A touch of windscreen demist to warm the glass clears this immediately. For those with smearing problems, did you replace your wiper blades at the time you applied the Rain-X? Was the screen absolutely clean when applying it? Did you give it the second coat? I apply mine with a bare hand (remove rings first) as it is easy to feel when the glass becomes slippery. It's always interesting to see how much dirt comes off the 'clean' windscreen when polishing the Rain-X coating. When it gets a bit patchy under the wiper arcs, I just re-apply to restore clear vision under all circumstances.
Applied as directed, especially the 'second coat', it works like magic. Water congregates in tiny droplets at lower speeds, but with the wipers on intermittent, these are cleared before they are distracting. At normal speeds, the water just races up the screen without disturbing the vision, with the wipers turned off. I suppose there will always be those that hate it, but perhaps they've never seen it working correctly. In the UK, where I lived for five years, I used it on all my cars, and found it invaluable when driving on motorways in driving rainstorms, especially behind lorries kicking up spray. Clear vision, more relaxed driving, improved safety.
Maybe I haven't ever seen it work right then, but I've seen it work badly so many times that I'm just not prepared to risk a second coat of this stuff, that would surely only prolong it's life on my windscreen. I should add that I'm only guessing that it's even Rain-X on the screen, but that seems to be the most popular one on the market so I'm huessing it's what was used.

I'm off to buy some new wipers shortly and hope that they help go some way to restoring vision.

Blue
How do I remove Rain-X? - road runner
Now I know this is going to sound silly, but the best stuff for keeping windscreens smear free is car upholstery cleaner.
Just spray it on the wet widscreen following a wash & no smears.
A friend I use to drive Taxi's for use to do this & I promise it's 100%.
OK we use to wash the car at least once a day, but day, night, rain, snow & fog it was clean & clear.
Like the liquid spray on cleaner I assume?

I'm willing to try virtually anything!!!

Blue
How do I remove Rain-X? - road runner
That's the stuff we use to buy it from the £1 shop.
We never used it on the upholstery (unless someone was sick,) but a quick squirt on the wet windscreen & it drys smear free.
I may have had a little luck!

I cleaned the screen with cellulose thinners and changed the wiper blades and the vision seems to have improved enough for me to not want a new windscreen. Still not perfect though.

It must be an amazing formula that they use in this stuff, even the cellulose thinners didn't break it down much if at all, as I was wiping the thinner over the screen I could see the formula repelling it just as easily as it repels water!

I have a sneaky suspicion that it may be Rain Wizard and not Rain X as I seem to remember that Rain Wizard was a longer lasting formula, I know one application seems to last about 6 months on my gran's car.

Blue
How do I remove Rain-X? - cheddar
>>did not "old wives" always say that vinegar and old newspaper was the way to clean glass properly?>>

The "old wives" bit is the newspaper, vinegar is great for cleaning glass.

Re Rain-X etc, use T-Cut, it does not abrade glass though will anything applied to it, even an overspray of paint or laquer can be removed from glass with T-Cut.

Be VERY careful with cellu thinners, it will damage paint, window rubbers and the glue that most windscreens are bonded in with if spilt.
>>The "old wives" bit is the newspaper, vinegar is great for cleaning glass.>>

It IS a very old method of cleaning windows and, surprisingly, still quite widely used.

I would have thought the newspaper ink would cause more problems than it cures though.
How do I remove Rain-X? - Dacia warrior

I used rainex and my window wiper went hard, 1 month old. I used vinegar to wipe the rubber and windscreen, now working again as it should. Rainex is excellent for side windows.

I knew that the thinners were a bit iffy, so I got a big wedge of ctton wool and applied a small amount to that in the garage, well away from the car to avoid any spills, then i just wiped that over the central bit of the windscreen and let it evaporate.

I was still nervous about it so I made sure that once I'd finished I threw a bucket of water over the windscreen and then stood and hosed the whole area down for ages to ensure that not even a trace of the thinners were left, and after that I used Fast Glass to get the windscreen nice.

I was quite amazed after that to see that the coating is still there! Although it's powers have weakened slightly.

Blue
How do I remove Rain-X? - Adam {P}
I think you should take it back.

I mean it's not on. You buy a nice looking Focus with all the kit - the perfect spec you were looking for, and the moron seller decides to put wax of all things over the windscreen.

Goods not of merchantable quality = refund.
--
Adam
Noooo!!!

I couldn't even contemplate giving it back, it's my precioussss! :-)

Fortunately apart from the windscreen he has done a superb job of looking after it.

Blue
How do I remove Rain-X? - Adam {P}
Face it Chris - you never inspected it hard enough did you ;-)
--
Adam
T-Cut.
If it continues to pose a problem I'm going to use T-cut, I was vaugely thinking about using it this morning nut then I didn't bother, wish I had now.

I didn't inspect it anywhere near well enough I suppose, I'm afraid I forgot all of my training when confronted with a shiny black motor fir myself! Must remember in future, check no. 39 inspect windscreen for traces of Rain X :-)

Blue
How do I remove Rain-X? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Time worked for me and the vinegar and paper method a bit.
Keep wiping the blades with meths as well.
Mine are fine now reckon it took a month to restore visibility.
Good stuff on a bike visor though.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
How do I remove Rain-X? - grn
I always found using neat (as in undiluted) windscreen washer additive with a paper towel made a good job of cleaning such unwanted chemicals from the screen.
How do I remove Rain-X? - Tony Bee
Maybe my message was invisible.

Try Silvo silver polish .DO NOT use Brasso.
How do I remove Rain-X? - Red Baron
New to this forum...so here goes

Rain-X is silicone based.

The only thing that will shift silicone is sodium hydroxide or some such similar caustic stuff.

White spirit or alcohol or trichloroethylene willl NOT shift it.

Thus...I would get some soda crystals or other strong alkali, dissolve in water (wear rubber gloves) get a rag and use elbow grease. That should get it off.

Red Baron
>>I would get some soda crystals or other strong alkali>>

I've already mentioned Soda Crystals - twice...:-)
Thanks for the suggestions, sorry, I had forgotten the one about Silvo, there are so many different ideas floating about.

If it causes any further trouble I will try out some of the other ideas, but at the moment the screen seems to be acceptable so I'm tempted to let sleeping dogs lie for a while.

Blue
Lot's of complex suggestions here, it is easy, T-Cut will gently abrade away the coating without effecting the glass underneath, gently apply it with kitchen roll, wash it off with soapy water then when dry de-grease with vinegar/kitchen roll.
How do I remove Rain-X? - Red Baron
Blue,

If you havn't got it off by now, then you never will.

Other caustic stuff to try is dishwasher powder, but rinse thoroughly afterwards and don't get it on the paint...

Red Baron
How do I remove Rain-X? - tyro
Blue

Have you tried the panel wipe yet?
How do I remove Rain-X? - Quinny
Sell the car to someone who may like Rain-X
How do I remove Rain-X? - kenl
Surely this stuff is not permanent?

I've sent an email to Rain-X asking them how to get it off.
How do I remove Rain-X? - daveyjp
I've been using rainex for years and never had a smearing problem when using wipers, it does what it says on the tin and gets rid of the rain. At speeds above 40 in heavy rain I don't even need to have my wipers on full time, intermittent wipes are more than enough - at motorway speeds wipers can be left off altogether.
How do I remove Rain-X? - AR-CoolC
Hi Blue.

To shift Rain_X or the like use acetone.

When we repair chipped screens all traces of coatings have to be removed to get a good finish. Acetone will remove it no problem at all, use cotton wool, just make sure you keep it off the paint and rubbers. It evaporates away very quickly so there is no need to worry about hosing down the car afterwards.

(Glass-Tech)
How do I remove Rain-X? - glowplug
I used Cerium Oxide, which I bought as part of a kit from Machine Mart.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18842&...e

Steve.
How do I remove Rain-X? - Rafdriver

Edited by Rafdriver on 22/07/2017 at 17:03

How do I remove Rain-X? - bailgate

I had the same problem - rainx works OK for a while, but then suddently you cannot see a thing when the wipers are on!

I tried everything - meths, white spirit, hot water and detergent, glass cleaner etc. and no improvement. Then someone said try BAR KEEPERS FRIEND which is £1.99 at Sainsburys. It is a powder that you sprinkle on, and then use a damp cloth to rub up a paste. Had to leave on the windscreen for one minute and then rinse. Tried the wipers and at first the smears still showed slightly, but after wipers and water spray for a few minutes it seems perfectly clear again.

How do I remove Rain-X? - ianhad2

I googled it try, Cerium Oxide.

I guess the 1st thing to find out is what Rain X is actually made of. Once that is established you can work out what chemicals desolve it.

Apparently its a hydrophobic silicone polymer , so maybe a silicone remover might get at it.

My company used the product in the early 80's on corporate jet windshields that had no wipers, (Lear Jet etc). I think when used on vehicle windshields with wipers the slight abrasion of wipers causes a microscopic breakup of the coating thus causing the viewing problems later on.

On aircraft there is a lot of air friction that abrades away the coating and requires re-coat quite often.

I'm going to try Screwfix No-Nonsence sealant remover 100ml gel. £5 (just under) Says it will remove silicone...will report later

How do I remove Rain-X? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Not too difficult. I removed it some years ago. Iirc meths first then a glass cleaner and wash as usual. Repeat as necessary snd avoid getting meths etc. on paintwork and the windscreen sealant. And clean the wiper blades ditto.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 22/07/2017 at 18:53

How do I remove Rain-X? - Ethan Edwards

I tried rainx on the screen. But only on the passenger half. To see if it was any good.

Found that half the screen was opaque now and then. Don't like it for beans. Ok on side windows though.

I just let it wear off. Then stick to using Autoglym glass polish.

How do I remove Rain-X? - galileo

I tried rainx on the screen. But only on the passenger half. To see if it was any good.

Found that half the screen was opaque now and then. Don't like it for beans. Ok on side windows though.

I just let it wear off. Then stick to using Autoglym glass polish.

If you really want to remove RainX completely you need to use cerium oxide glass polish - its a white powder you mix with water and use on a pad - kits are available on line which include a small pad to use in a power drill.

Personally, I've used RainX for years and don't have a problem with it.

How do I remove Rain-X? - RT

Personally, I've used RainX for years and don't have a problem with it.

I've not had issues with the Rain-X that's applied to the windscreen - but the Rain-X washer additive causes problems with the level sensor fitted on VW Group cars

I tried the Screwfix gel on a old windscreen that had the treatment and it didnt remove it, seems like if you let it age it becomes hard lacquer like.

How do I remove Rain-X? - galileo

I tried the Screwfix gel on a old windscreen that had the treatment and it didnt remove it, seems like if you let it age it becomes hard lacquer like.

As advised above, cerium oxide glass polishing kits will remove it. Google will find them for you, not expensive.

How do I remove Rain-X? - blindspot

cerium oxide used it on badly cratched polo with good results

How do I remove Rain-X? - blindspot

cerium oxide used it on badly cratched polo with good results

How do I remove Rain-X? - Bolt

Meths or alcahol will remove it,used it many a time

How do I remove Rain-X? - FoxyJukebox

Neat screenwash. Spray on liberally, wipe off with a cloth. Spray again and wipe down with k****** paper?

How do I remove Rain-X? - Robert Collier

Agree with comments on here that Rain X is good for side windows but TERRIBLE on windscreens as it causes hazing/misting when the wipers are used and also wiper judder.

I tried Rain X on my 6 month old car whos windscreen I like to keep free of traffic film and the results were terrible. Once you try to get it off it makes things worse as the parts of the screen where it has come off are a great contrast to the areas with the Rain X still on, and the wiper judder and noise was driving me mad!

Tried everything to remove it. Thinners, Meths, Simonize glass polish, Vinegar, and eventually plucked up the courage to use Autoglym Paint Renovator a mild form of T cut which is abrasive but didnt scratch the glass on my nearly new car or have the ammonia smell of T cut. I believe bathroom cream cleanser Cif etc is the alternative but didnt try this.

I now have a perfectly clear screen and none of the dreaded wiper judder without having to renew my nearly new wiper blades!

Given the number of threads on the internet on how to remove rain X this is a widespread problem. I have learned my lesson now and will ONLY USE ON SIDE WINDOWS

Edited by Robert Collier on 10/09/2017 at 15:35

How do I remove Rain-X? - daveyjp
12 years since I posted about this I am still using it on all windows, including two applications to both cars windscreens a couple of weeks ago.

No problems with streaking or juddering wipers on the odd occasion I need to use them as the water just rolls off the screen.
How do I remove Rain-X? - RT

As I can't get the butler to do it!, my valeter uses some sort of coating on the windscreen and front door windows when he does the annual Winter Protection Valet - I'll ask him what he uses - it's certainly very effective and lasts all year round

How do I remove Rain-X? - Cyd

https://youtu.be/Ru0eyjGcI9c