Long wave in my car - The Lawman
I have a vw with a radio that does not receive long wave. I am getting serious withdrawal symptoms from the cricket. I have tried using a big portable radio in the car, but the interference is too high and I cannot hear anything except fuzz.

Is there a solution to my dilemma? This is the most exciting test series I have ever seen, and I do not want to miss a ball if I can help it!

P.s. I am not going to shell out on a digital radio for the car, but would a portable digital radio avoid the interference problem? They can be had for about £40 now I think.

{Moved from the current IHAQ thread as motoring related. DD}
Long wave in my car - cheddar
Does your mobile have a radio built in?

Don't think so, and it is in a bad way at the moment due to being dropped in the river Teme on a recent (and unsuccesful) barbel fishing holiday....
Long wave in my car - spikeyhead {p}
There wasn't LW shown on my Audi car radio, but switching to AM and searching down to 198 produced Radio 4 LW loud and clear.

I was very relieved when I found it.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Long wave in my car - Pezzer
My BM is the same - keep pushing AM and it toggles through LW. I was too !
Long wave in my car - daveyjp
Is this a modern VW? Have you searched the complete MW band? LW is sometimes incoporated in to the MW tuning system. Alternatively swap the head unit for one with LW.
Long wave in my car - daveyjp
spikeyhead beat me to it!
Long wave in my car - Round The Bend
Wish I'd found that out during the 3 years I had a VW!

Best alternative is 720 on MW which transmits same output as Radio 4 LW. Perfect reception in the south east - rubbish here in Norfolk.
Oh great IanS, guess where I live!
Oh great IanS, guess where I live!>>

Bad luck Lawman!

You'll find the 720 reception starts to fade out by the time you pass Stansted Airport on the M11 heading north.

Alternatives are to move or change cars. I'm doing both!

Long wave in my car - Collos25
I get perfect 198 reception on MB Becker radio in when I visit friends in Cromer,in fact perfect reception upto Dortmund and is still audible in Eisenach but is terrible in Huddersfield
Long wave in my car - drbe
I have a vw with a radio that does not receive
long wave. I am getting serious withdrawal symptoms from the cricket.
I have tried using a big portable radio in the car,
but the interference is too high and I cannot hear anything
except fuzz.
Is there a solution to my dilemma? This is the most
exciting test series I have ever seen, and I do not
want to miss a ball if I can help it!
P.s. I am not going to shell out on a digital
radio for the car, but would a portable digital radio avoid
the interference problem? They can be had for about £40 now
I think.

Have you tried 720 AM?
Long wave in my car - No FM2R
P.s. I am not going to shell out on a digital
radio for the car, but would a portable digital radio avoid
the interference problem?

I dunno, but since I have one I'll try it at the weekend and let you know.
Thanks for that.

I will try 720 anyway and see what I get.

And no, Ian, i am not going to (a) move house or (b) buy a new car just so I can listen to the cricket!

I scanned my AM band and i cannot seem to get 198 I am afraid.

Thanks for all the help, and come on England!
>>i am not going to (a) move house or (b) buy a new car just so I can listen to the cricket!

JUST so you can listen to the Cricket ? *JUST* ?? I think you nedd to have a sit down and review of your priorities and then ring the estate agent when you come to your senses !

Just ? Hah !
Long wave in my car - Deej
603MW works in NE England. I know you're not there but maybe worth a try if 720 doesn't work.
Long wave in my car - Stuartli
Are you pretending to be the Queen...:-)

I have a VW with the Gamma system - I pick up Radio Four on 198 on the AM waveband (there are two available to allow maximum preset usage if IIRC).

You probably just need to try scanning manually and then saving the frequency on a preset when you come across it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Before we get shut down for "inane babble", I'm not moving because of the lack of LW cricket on the car radio (although it IS a consideration) ..... if there is a SW Backroom meet next year I'll explain.

Absolutely zilch on 720. My Am band only goes down to 530, so no joy there. I will try the other frequency that someone mentioned.

As to moving house/buying another car "just" to listen to the cricket, I can anticipate the conversation with Mrs Lawman. She has been badgering me to move to suffolk, and so far I have resisted on the basis that the fishing is not so good, I will have to leave my pub darts team and will have join another golf club.

She won't get the long wave/TMS thing at all!

Sounds like a portable digital is the way to go, with the added benefit that I can take it to the riverbank as well.
Long wave in my car - Altea Ego
Lawman.

Look at this way. Your pub darts team is rubbish anyway, you can lie about your handicap (bandit) when you join a new club, and its an excuse to go away at weekends "becuase the local fishing is not very good dear"

Re the Gamma. Its a model of VW radio, Some VWs of certain types and vintages and periods of time never had LW.
What's teh Gamma system? I wonder if I have it.

To confirm, I have 2 AM bands (so I can do 12 presets) but the lowest it will go is 530, whereas i need to get down to 198.
Long wave in my car - Stuartli
>>What's teh Gamma system? I wonder if I have it.
>>

It's the better system of the two offered by VW (at least at the time my car was manufactured in 1999); it's a high quality radio/cassette unit that also controls the six-disc CD player in the boot. It feeds a total of eight built-in speaker units.

Gamma is the model name of the system and an operating manual is included in the vehicle manual's leather case.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Long wave in my car - quizman
What's teh Gamma system? I wonder if I have it.
To confirm, I have 2 AM bands (so I can do
12 presets) but the lowest it will go is 530, whereas
i need to get down to 198.

My Passat has the Gamma radio which is excellent, except when trying to listen to the test match and travelling in France.

My radio goes down to 530, then up to 1610. It does not matter how many buttons I press, it still won't get R4 long wave.

If I want to listen to the test match I have to go in the wife's car.

Does anyone know whether the new Passat can get long wave?
FWIW -

My Landcruiser suffers from a huge amount of interference on its radio when the engine is running and it is tuned to LW or SW to thepoint that the stations or not usable.

I took the portable Digital Radio out for a drive and it was unaffected by the interference - it worked fine for the 2 or 3 miles I drove around to test it.

Your mileage may differ, as they say.
Thanks No FM2R. It looks like I am going to have to buy me one of those portable digital jobbies.

Quizman, it seems you have the identical radio to me.
Long wave in my car - Altea Ego
Mr No, did you use an external aerial, an aerial patch, or did it work fine ok as is in the car?
Mr. Family,

Its a digital radio for the house, kind of like a ghetto blaster. I simply unplugged it, filled it with enough batteries to power a small town, and plonked it on the passenger seat with simply its own aerials. It worked fine.

Yrs,

No.