Radios in "Grey" imports - Accidental_mick
I recently bought an imported Mazda6. I am very pleased with both the car and the deal I got.

However, it has a radio straight out of ther 1970s. The FM band only goes up to 90, there is no station identification/tracking (which means I have to retune every few miles along the road). The CD player is great with a 6 disc capacity built into the dashboard.

Anyone who knows the Mazda range knows that the radio controls are part of the dashboard and the display is part of the heater display.

So, anyone got any ideas about companies who could offer an upgrade?

Please help a Radio 4 Addict.
Radios in "Grey" imports - blue_haddock
Most firms who import Jap cars usually offer to sell you a bandwith expander which is what you need to receive the full spectrum of UK radio, although you may be better off getting a decent quality after market stereo instead.
Radios in "Grey" imports - Aprilia
Has this car come in from Japan then? I think its only Japanese domestic market cars that are fitted with these radios - 'export' cars wouldn't have them.

The item your require (a 'band expander') fits in the aerial lead and also requires a 12V feed. You can get them off Ebay for about £10. I have one I won't need soon (if you're prepared to wait a week or two).
Radios in "Grey" imports - Altea Ego
It has to be a Japan import as Europe radios are all to the same specs.

Bear in mind that a band expander wont change the display to the correct band display, just allow you to receive them, and your AM search will miss out stations as the channel spacing is different.

Sometimes, all radios are the same, and there is a hidden menu to change the country spec.
Radios in "Grey" imports - Aprilia
If this is a JDM car then presumably it has to go through ESVA? Has this been done? I'd be interested to know, or is there a way around ESVA?