New dangers when driving in London - Roger Jones
I am always very wary and sceptical about security warnings that arrive by e-mail, but this one comes from an impeccable source who says that it originated within the emergency services:

Warning - We have received a warning from the Lndon Ambulance Service of activities in their area.

The London Ambulance service have units closely associated with the Police based in South London who are basically fighting gang crimes. The 'street gangs' in London (particularly South London at present, but it is sure to spread) have initiation tasks which new gang members have to carry out to be admitted to the 'gang'. The latest craze is to drive around, deliberately with no lights on their cars. The first person who 'flashes' them, points at them or sounds their horn at them, has to be followed by that new gang member in their car, who then has to fire a shot into that vehicle with no regard as to who is inside.

Our official instruction is that if we see a vehicle with no lights on, we are NOT to 'flash' it etc. and the advice to friends and family is that you should ignore any vehicles you see without lights. I would ask that you pass this info on to all your family, friends and colleagues and who knows, it may save a life.
New dangers when driving in London - Blue {P}
I think that's an Urban myth, it even featured in a horror film that I saw a couple of years ago, but I can't remember the name...

Unless they've copied it off that film of course! :-)

Blue
New dangers when driving in London - AngryJonny
www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/lightout.asp
New dangers when driving in London - Galaxy
E34kid, you've just beaten me to it!
New dangers when driving in London - chris_w
As with all of these things, do a quick search on google before posting - this is how they propagate, people posting or forwarding on info before checking it out.
Thanks for that link. I'll send it to my source to see what he has to say.
New dangers when driving in London - Dynamic Dave
I thought this thread sounded familiar.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22794
New dangers when driving in London - No FM2R
comes from an impeccable source

Seemingly not quite as impeccable as you thought - especially since the grammar, together with errors, is the same as a year ago.

Do ask your "impeccable" source where he got it from, you might find that its worth knowing his criteria for credibility for the next time.
New dangers when driving in London - Bill Payer
There's always a danger that some lunatic will decide this is a good idea!! That's it, I'm not flashing any unlit cars in the future :-)
New dangers when driving in London - AngryJonny
I'm not going to knowingly let someone drive unlit because of some stupid urban myth that I might get shot. It's obvious which approach is going to result in greater loss of life. What if they crashed or ran someone over, and you could have done something to stop that?
New dangers when driving in London - Thommo
Well the email may be an urban myth but I wouldn't be flashing my lights or shouting at anybody in Gotham City (London). Its just too risky.
New dangers when driving in London - TheGrocer
9:00PM,M25 - Middle Lane 80MPH Renault Senic, Old man driving - 3 kids in the back, not a light to be seen. Quick flash and 1 blip of the indicator lights result...not a bullet in the win dow just the middle finger...What a pratt

--
\" Keep doing the same old thing, youll get the same old thing, try something different today!\"
"Seemingly not quite as impeccable as you thought"

It's the person who handed this thing on to me whom I regard as an impeccable source, not the author of what was quoted. I think that's reasonably clear from what I wrote.
New dangers when driving in London - martint123
It's the person who handed this thing on to me whom I regard as an impeccable source

I'm afraid my opinion of people who forward these on in blind faith woulnd't pass the swear filter.
New dangers when driving in London - codefarm
My wife gets these from her ex-boss and forwards them to me. Every single time, within a few minutes, I reply back to the ex-boss with a snopes.com link debunking the myth. And yet still they keep coming.

New dangers when driving in London - Bill Payer
My wife gets these from her ex-boss and forwards them to
me. Every single time, within a few minutes, I reply back
to the ex-boss with a snopes.com link debunking the myth. And
yet still they keep coming.

Yep, we have someone at work who's been told NOT to forward these things by our IT Manager, but she does it because 'one of them might be real'! She sends them to everyone in her *huge* address book, including customers and suppliers - she's going to get us into trouble eventually.
New dangers when driving in London - chris_w
Can we close this thread now so it dissapears and worries no one else?

{Done. DD}