This may not be a Hoax - Dwight Van Driver
As a member of a Retired Plod Organisation (NARPO) I do, from time to time, receive various circulations from Branch Office.
Currently being circulated is the following informative warning, which at face value could possibly IMHO be a Hoax, but if not the consequences could be fatal. Any member with connections to the Met Police/Ambulance Service may be able to could confirm.

For once, a serious message:

We have received a warning at the London Ambulance Service and have been asked to pass on the information to all our
families and friends.

The LAS have units closely associated with the Police 'D.A.R.E.' squads based in South London who are basically fighting Gang Crimes. The 'street gangs' in London (particularly South London at present, but it is sure to spread) have initiation tasks which new gang members have to carry out to be admitted to the 'gang'. The latest craze is to drive around, deliberately with no lights on their cars. The first person who
'flashes' them, points at them or sounds their horn at them, has to be followed by that new gang member in their car, who then has to fire a shot into that vehicle !!! with no regard as to who is inside.

Our official instruction is that if we see a vehicle with no lights on, we are NOT to 'flash' it etc. and the advice to friends and family is that you should ignore any vehicles you see without lights.

I would ask that you pass this info on to all your family, friends and colleagues by phone or e-mail, and who knows, it may save a life!

Message ends.

If this is true what a insult to those who gave their lives this very day 60 years ago.

DVD
This may not be a Hoax - teabelly

www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/lightout.asp

Total hoax as are 99% of all email scare stories.
teabelly
This may not be a Hoax - Dwight Van Driver
Thanks for that TB. Quick too.

Just shows how much I regard members of the Forum.

DVD

This may not be a Hoax - Kuang
It may well be the exception to the rule but that did actually happen to my guitarist a few months back. They didn't fire at the car, but he did end up with a broken nose. They later tracked the driver to a local taxi company in Leicester, but he denied all knowledge, and that he had any passengers in the car at all (rather than the three ape like thugs present with shoe sizes in excess of their IQs).

After that, my take on the issue is that if someone is dozy enough not to realise they don't have their lights on then stuff 'em - I'm not prepared to put myself at risk.
This may not be a Hoax - Jane
As seen on the film Urban Legends. However, if the studies that show that people are influenced by what they see on TV are to be believed, it wouldn't surprise me if this particular myth became fact.

--
If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished
This may not be a Hoax - BazzaBear {P}
However, if the
studies that show that people are influenced by what they see
on TV are to be believed, it wouldn't surprise me if
this particular myth became fact.

I remember reading a quote from someone related to Nintendo when computer games were accused of the same thing. Something along the lines of:
If computer games affected peoples behaviour, we'd all be running around mazes eating pills now.