Unstable Vectra. Handling improvements? - welshy
My Vectra now has 111,000 miles on it . Its a new shape Vectra and has gradually seemed to be very unstable at speed and cornering . I have replaced the rear shocks and thats all .I want to spend a few pounds replacing items , but where to start 1st . Im guessing springs and shocks ? Any other items that should be changed as a matter of course ?

{Subject header amended to make less vague. DD}
Replace what ? - Adam {P}
Jeeez - you racked those up quick didn't you!?
--
Adam
Replace what ? - cheddar
Jeeez - you racked those up quick didn't you!?
--
Adam

Not really, I did 69k in 22 months in my Mondeo before changing jobs, mainly commuting, not on the road all day. It is now on 93k and is 39 months old, if I had continued at the previous rate I would have done 122k in 39 months, or 113k in 3 years, chances are Welshy's car is an early 'new' Vectra so is about 3 years old.
Replace what ? - Adam {P}
I suppose. When you break it down it doesn't sound like much. It's just when you hear the whole figure.
--
Adam
Replace what ? - Cyd
You should also change the front shocks as a matter of urgency. With worn at the front and new at the rear your car will be unstable under load. Your cars braking distance in a straight line and stability under tricky conditions (eg wet corners) will be seriously compromised.

Springs are unlikely to need replacing unless damaged or excessively corroded

Also check the condition of suspension bushes. Any that appear split or sloppy or perished should be replaced. Worth checking ball joints too, but these are very good quality these days so only change if there's any slop or split gaiters.
Replace what ? - welshy
Thats why the car feels so odd ? new shocks on rear and old 111,000 mile shocks on the front . Springs are not damaged , just thought that they have gone week .
Replace what ? - Dynamic Dave
I would go with Cyd's suggestion of new dampners on the front. At 111,000 miles they've had a lot of work to do in that time.

Also it might be worth considering having all the suspension and antiroll bar rubber bushes replaced as well.

For added stability, you could also fit a strut brace to stiffen up the front end a bit.
Replace what ? - tr7v8
from experience more likely that its bushes rather than the shocks as they'll have a greater influence. Although the shocks should be changed to even things up.

Jim