Whistling Accord - Pat O'Halloran
My 2000 Honda Accord 2.0 Auto makes a whining whisling noise as it accelerates thro' the gears (sounds like a jet engine). When it reaches top gear a low whistling can be heard above the engine note. My local dealer has readjusted the cam belt tension to no avail. The dealer offers vague possible causes and says that its normal but admits some same year cars do not make this noise. The dealer is telling the truth as I have driven several. Has anybody out there had this problem cured which spoils an otherwise great car ??
Re: Whistling Accord - Malcolm
my honda civic 1.6 SE which is brand new also pruduces a noise which matches your description, I find this noise irritating. My previous 1.5 civic vtec was quiet. I intend making a visit to the dealers about this, but in the meantime will be following this thread with interest
Re: Whistling Accord - John Slaughter
Is the noise related to engine speed or road speed? If it drops off in top, then it sounds more like transmission noise to me.

Regards

John
Re: Whistling Accord - Malcolm
In my case it is related to engine speed .
Re: Whistling Accord - honestjohn
ALTERNATOR OR PAS PUMP?

HJ
Re: Whistling Accord - Pat O'Halloran
My local dealer admits to possible alternator whine but discounted PAS pump because this whistling also occurs when the engine is revved while the car is stationary. I'm going to contact Honda UK again and mention some of the points that have come up. Thanks to everybody who has mailed.
Re: Whistling Accord - andrew smith
I noticed a similar noise when I test drove a '00 Toyota Celica. It was enough to put me off buying the car. I wonderered if it was characteristic of the variable valve timing engines that both the celica and the accord have.