BMW remote locking - avi
Hi - Please advise. My car's is a 5 year old 316. I am having trouble with the remote locking. It opens the doors and boot alright, but when i try to lock the car, nothing happens, tried the duplicate and the same problem. But i can lock the car manually with the key
Now i will be calling the BMW dealer tomorrow, but i am just scared thinking of the huge bill that i will have to pay.
Please help
BMW remote locking - Adam {P}
Nowhere near car specific but I had a problem with my Ford key a while back. I could unlock the car (just) and open the boot fine but I couldn't lock it. I took the key to bits and found that the gold contact beneath the lock button had worn away.

Worth checking?
--
Adam
BMW remote locking - avi
BUt even the duplicate key remote given when i bought the car is doing the same thing
BMW remote locking - Adam {P}
Ahh. Sorry. I've just got up - what more do you want?!?
--
Adam
BMW remote locking - Dynamic Dave
I take it you've tried the obvious - that being replacing the fob batteries?

Maybe there's a fail safe that if the batteries are nearly flat it will unlock the car, but not lock it. I know you've also tried the spare fob, but how often does it normally get used? If left in a drawer a lot of the time, then maybe the batts are also flat in that fob as well. Just guessing of course.
BMW remote locking - Cyd
Look in the handbook to see if there are any instructions for re-syncing the remotes to the vehicle and try that.
BMW remote locking - elekie&a/c doctor
I assume you have the 3 button diamond shape key remote.It is possible the remote needs re-synchronising by the following method.Sit in the car with all doors, boot & bonnet closed;cycle ignition on & off;press & hold unlock button ,at the same time press lock button 3 times & release unlock button on the third release of the lock button.The battery on these is not replaceable ,it is recharged thro an inductive system when key is in ignition lock.(similar to a cordless toothbrush)
BMW remote locking - avi
Nope tried the sync, but still doesn't work. But on a rare occasion it tends to work. I am puzzled.
BMW remote locking - Cyd
A-ha, so the problem is intermittant. Now I'm thinking dodgy electrical connection or ecu problem (dry joint, split track on the board....).

Try finding the ecu and unplug and replug all the connections to it. Check harnessing for damage.

Do you know anyone into electronics. If you do, see if you can get them to check the ecu over for any obvious faults like broken tracks or dry joints.

BTW - is the remote system RF or infrared? If IR is it the sort with three IR recievers? If so do you get the same results no matter which reciever you use?
BMW remote locking - Pugugly {P}
Are you anywhere near a transmitter aerial ? Had the self same problem near a Police mast...
BMW remote locking - catsdad

I think the BMW key fobs re-charge while they are in the ignition - I seem to recall reading that in my 3 series handbook but as I no longer have it I cant check. If thats the case it would be worth using the spare for a trip to see if it works after a charge up. It would mean however a pretty unlikely co-incidence that its gone flat and the original gone faulty at the same time. Worth a try though before you spend out at BMW rates.