RAC Competition Licences - Andrew
I think I am right in believing that as from Jan 1 2002 anyone applying to the RAC for a Competition Licence as a novice will have to attend a days training and testing in basic safe driving skills as well as a written test based on specific areas (presumably safety) from the Blue Book - the competitors bible. the training/test days are to be held at nominated competition driving schools and will cost £130. Until the course is passed in full the applicant cannot hold a Competition Licence.

What I am trying to find out is that as a Competition Licence holder for a number of years, competing in both seats on rallies with a few pots as souveniers, but going into retirement in 1997 - ' family forces sale,' and seeing no requirement to renew my licence. Would I have to undertake this training should I wish to renew my licence after I win ' the rollover'?

Anyone any knowledge on the subject? Stuart B might even be interested!!!!!

Andrew
Re: RAC Competition Licences - David Lacey
As a MSA licence holder - I'm not aware of anything - or have I missed something somewhere?

David
Re: RAC Competition Licences - Andrew
They have been banging on about it in Motoring News for ages, its in this week Motoring News.
Its for those wishing to go stage rallying only. First time licence applicantants apply to the MSA and for £39 they get a pack including a video and the Blue Book. I assume ther are also details on how to contact one of the British Association of Rally Schools to arrange for the course. And its £180 not £130 as I previously stated.

Andrew
Re: RAC Competition Licences - Flat in Fifth
It's a good question Andrew, I don't know either.

Presumably with the "time out" you have also allowed your licence grade to lapse from whatever level it was to whatever it would be now. My international stage rally licence status has also been allowed to lapse and I guess would need to be requalified. Have not worked out from which level I would still qualify automatically.

In all honesty I think that is fair enough, after all if Lancelot and set of balls 4 came good then I would not begrudge a day plus £180 methinks. Mind you it would help if I did the lottery in the first place, hey ho.

BTW note the new nick! You know it makes sense....not!
regds,
Stuart
Flat in Fifth!!!!!!!

Love the title. £180 is not a deal in comparison to the overall costs. It just seems a bit of a pointless expenditure of both time and money when you have already competed and have demonstrated the ability to safely compete within the regulations.

BTW????????? Give us a clue.

Andrew.
Thanks for your reply. Dug out the old licences and blew the dust off.

NON RACE NATIONAL B. Not EV ( whatever that means?)

Andrew
Re: RAC Competition Licences - The Ox
Andrew

I have a new Blue Book and checked into the regs a bit - and am a tad confused!!! Nonetheless it seems it may be possible to avoid the video/test etc route, depending on exactly what licence it was you previously had.

So, a few questions to help me...

Was your licence National or National A Rally? (Other options are International Rally or International Historic Rally)

If so then per E 2.15.3 as long as you can provide proof, then you can get a new one.

The stricter rules for retention seem only to apply if you had a Race licence rather than a Rally licence.

Hope this helps - if not, just holler!

Ox
Re: RAC Competition Licences - Ronnie Courtney
Ox - IMHO this stands for "By The Way"....

OK?

Ronnie
Re: RAC Competition Licences - Ronnie Courtney
MHA (My Humble Apologies) Ox - I should have said Andrew!

Ronnie
Re: RAC Competition Licences - Mark (Brazil)
> Ox - IMHO this stands for "By The Way"....

or even "In My Humble Opinion"