MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - cheddar
Had wife's Clio MOT'd on Monday, on one hand I did not want it to fail, on the other hand I hoped that they would find anything that might require urgent attention, particularly if safety related.

They were pleasingly very thorough however it occured to me afterwards that they only took a cursory glance in the boot, perhaps the spare tyre is not covered by the MOT now that run-flat tyres etc are a legal alternative?
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - Armitage Shanks {p}
If you offer the tyre for test it will be checked. If you leave it at home it won't be (obviously) - there is no legal requirement to carry a spare; indeed some cars don't have them supplied (Porsche etc)
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - RichardW
Spare tyre is not, and never has been, part of the test. You can present without, or with flat, bald, chopped to pieces etc. If it's visible and obviously unserviceable the tester might point it out, but you won't get a fail. Of course, if the spare tyre is fitted it must conform - so a space saver will result in a fail!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - BazzaBear {P}
99% sure you're wrong there Richard. As said before, if you have a spare wheel in the car, it must be road legal.
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - BazzaBear {P}
Although everything I can find on the 'net agrees with you.
In the past I've only ever heard that if there is one, it should be checked.
Maybe it has changed?
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - local yokel
Put it the other way round, if you think the spare is illegal/unsafe, why mess about? A new tyre for a Clio suitable as a spare is only going to cost £25-£30, surely? Bear in mimd that the MoT req for tyre safety has been said by some experts to be too low.
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - martint123
I agree - spare tyre not and never has been tested
The only thing that a spare tyre could fail on would be if it was an undermounted one and the mounting was insecure.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm

This inspection applies to
Tyres fitted to the road wheels only. The vehicle presenter should be informed when it is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a spare wheel.

MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - L'escargot
<< A new tyre for a
Clio suitable as a spare is only going to cost £25-£30,
surely?

I like my spare to be as safe as the other tyres, and preferably to match the other tyres. For this reason I specified a full width spare as an optional extra on my current car.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - Dalglish
spare wheel has never been part of the test.

here is the official word;

www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/carlgvowners/mottesting/carco...m

Wheels and Tyres
Condition, security, tyre size/type and tread depth. Spare tyres are not inspected.

Thanks for the replies, seems to be quite clear then that the spare is noty covered by the MOT. On another point made above, I can't see how a space saver is illegal, I have one in the boot of my Mondeo and the tester certainly looked at that when it had it's first MOT in May.

By the way, the spare in the Clio's boot is brand new unused, it was just that the guy opened the boot though did not lift the cover so as to even see if there was a spare wheel there.
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - Dynamic Dave
I suspect he only opened the boot to check the latch was working correctly.
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - RichardW
From the manual (at motuk.co.uk):

On all the tyres fitted, check the
1. Nominal size and aspect ratio.

Reasons for rejection:

1a. One tyre is of a different nominal size or aspect ratio to any other on the same axle.
b. Special lightweight or space saving wheels and tyres fitted as road wheels

So even if the spare is, say, 165 vs normal tyres of 175 (A Citroen favourite) it should fail if the spare is fitted. Presumably there is a grace period in the Const & Use regs for using an undersized spare as an emergency measure.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - Stuartli
The boot area is checked for any possible signs of crash damage that may affect the vehicle's overall condition.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - Number_Cruncher
Stuart,

Where did you get that information from?

Number_Cruncher
When I had my Bora tested last November. I asked the tester the reason for examining the boot area as I was aware the spare tyre played no part in the test.

He explained that it was to check for possible damage or damage repair (presumably from a rear end shunt or similar) that might affect the vehicle's roadworthiness.

Incidentally the tester was a former VAG franchised dealer technician and passed on some interesting tips and tricks about VW models whilst conducting the test.

In return I gave him the URL of this website as he was looking for a new Golf TDi at the best possible price....:-)
----8<------

He explained that it was to check for possible damage or damage repair (presumably from a rear end shunt or similar) that might affect the vehicle's roadworthiness.

----8<------

IIRC, testers can't remove carpet trim, or take off things like hub caps and covers. So I don't see what can realistically be inspected inside the boot which can't be seen from below.

Does the boot even need to open to pass the MOT. i.e., if you welded it shut, would your car fail?

Number_Cruncher
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - Civic8
>>Does the boot even need to open to pass the MOT. i.e., if you welded it shut, would your car fail?

I would think it would fail.As it has to open to check the latch is working correctly-but thats the only reason it is opened
--
Steve
I don't make it up as I go along...:-)
Other than as a nervous customer hoping for an easy, cheap, pass, my, peripheral, involvement in MOT testing is now 15 years out of date. As the MOT has been tightened up significantly during that time, I am curious about what, exactly, is tested nowadays.

Having had a quick look at the testers manual which is frequently linked to from posts in threads like this, it appears that a welded up boot lid is a reason to refuse to test - so, not a fail, but not a pass either!

Number_Cruncher

not a fail, but not a pass either!
Just proves it has to work.Or no MOT
As for a spare wheel.never known them to be looked at..But I thought law said carrying one that is illegal is with intent to use -meaning if you get caught your nicked
--
Steve
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - Hugo {P}
As for a spare wheel.never known them to be looked at..But
I thought law said carrying one that is illegal is with
intent to use -meaning if you get caught your nicked

But a counter arguement would surely be that the tyre will be changed before the wheel is used again, officer.

For example, you go into a tyre depot to have your tyres checked and they identify the problem with the nsf or whatever. But they don't have your size/brand in stock, so safest thing to do is change it for the good spare, and come back when they have one in stock.

H
But a counter arguement would surely be that the tyre will be changed before the wheel is used again, officer.

Illegal tyre to my knowledge is not illegal to carry.Only use- So if someone already changed a puncture for spare thats below limit.They are driving on an illegal tyre..Again not certain on the law.But think it should be made illegal to carry a tyre not fit for road use.Which should also be part of MOT/would make it clearer to most people then
--
Steve
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - none
In my days as a tester, the only reason for opening a boot was to check for corrosion, especially around the damper mounts.
If you can't check 'em you can't test the vehicle.
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - rebel
There are no legal issues with spare wheels except for the fact that if you choose to carry one it must be secured.

If it were to be made a legal requirement for a spare wheel to be roadworthy, compact or space saver wheels would be illegal to start with. As would cars with different front to rear sizes - not uncommon.

Now consider - you get a puncture, so you put on your nice new shiny legal spare - what the hell do you do with your now unroadworthy punctured one - you can't put it in the boot because it's illegal!
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - Avant
Clearly if the law doesn't require you to carry a spare wheel then it won't have any requirements as to the tyre's condition.

What the law could and should do is ban the use of different sized wheels and tyres on the same axle. That would end this silly space-saver fad once and for all. Someone soon will ignore the 50 mph maximum with one fitted and have a fatal accident.

L'escargot - what sort of car have you got? To have an option of a full-size spare is a good idea, so that people can agree to disagree on this one.
MOT, is spare tyre checked now. - rebel
"What the law could and should do is ban the use of different sized wheels and tyres on the same axle".

That law has been in force for longer than i care to remember (and i can almost remember the introduction of pneumatic tyres!!) which means that using a space saver on the road is, and has always been strictly illegal.

The situation is that provided that the space saver is used only in an emergency - to get the car off the road and to the nearest repairer, the police usually turn a blind eye to it.
"What the law could and should do is ban the use
of different sized wheels and tyres on the same axle".
That law has been in force for longer than i care
to remember (and i can almost remember the introduction of pneumatic
tyres!!) which means that using a space saver on the road
is, and has always been strictly illegal.
The situation is that provided that the space saver is used
only in an emergency - to get the car off the
road and to the nearest repairer, the police usually turn a
blind eye to it.

I don't think the police need to turn a blind eye to a proper space saver. There is a difference between using diffence sizes/widths of wheel/tyre on the same axle and using a designed-for-purpose space saver within it's quoted speed and load limitations.

However there are some cars are supplied with an odd sized spare that is not a designed-for-purpose space saver. For instance I had a Vectra V6 Estate as a company car a few years ago, the road wheels were 16" alloys with 205/55 tyres where as the spare was a 15" steel with a 195/65.

Not sure how the law relates to the use of this as a spare.
L'escargot - what sort of car have you got? To
have an option of a full-size spare is a good idea,
so that people can agree to disagree on this one.

2003 2 litre Focus Ghia. Steel spare in a depression in the boot floor; road wheels are alloys. It came with a sheet of hard foam spacer (with a hole in the middle to accomodate the increased width of the tyre) to make up the difference in width between a full size spare and the standard spec spacesaver, so the boot depth is affectively reduced by 2". I don't know whether this option is offered on the current Focus.
--
2003 2 litre Focus Ghia. Steel spare......

Cost approx £30 c/w matching tyre. One reason I went for it was that the space-saver on a similar car caused an annoying mild activation of the traction control (even at a steady 30 mph)when fitted to the front. Presumably a small difference in the rolling radius compared to the full size tyre made the traction control detect that the two front wheels were rotating at different speeds. I later realised that one answer was to switch off the traction control but I was never satisfied with this solution.
--