Decisions ..... - welshy
Help needed please guys , Im on the look for a new (used) car . Must be diesel , for the money I have Im looking at either a 2004 mondeo tdci 130 , or a mercedes C class diesel new shape . The merc will have a lot more miles than the mondeo , but will the merc be more reliable as Ive heard the Ford diesels can be troublesome . Another choice is an Audi A4 new shape 51 plate again pretty high miles .Help please .
Decisions ..... - cheddar
By recent reputation the Mondeo will be as reliable as the Mercedes and more so than the Audi irrespective of mileage, it will be much cheaper to service and, assuming you are talking about C220CDi and A4 1.9TDi 130, will be more punchy and have better handling/road holding than both, the Merc will be less economical, the Audi and Mondeo pretty much on a par in that regard. The Mondeo TDCi and Merc CDi engines are more refined than that in the TDi A4. Not many manual Mercs around, autos suffer further on economy/CO2.

Must say though the C220CDi estate is a very nice car and the 2001 - on A4 is much better looking than the new 2005 model.
Decisions ..... - No Do$h
Mercs are not the bastions of reliability they once were. Ditto Audi, although better. With the latter there have been issues with the AFM failing on the TDis. There have been numerous posts on the quality of service offered by VAG and Merc dealers too.

By 2004 Ford seem to have sorted out most, if not all, of the problems with the Mondeo TDCi.

Your post suggests that image may be an issue. You need to ask yourself if you would really be happy with the Mondeo of your heart says you want the image that a Merc offers. I bought an Alfa because my irrational heart took precedence over my rational head. I don't regret it, but the cold maths of it make me look a right 'nana. But then, if we all did it by the head we'd be a nation full of white, base model japanese hatchbacks.

Have a look at the car by car breakdown for more info on the things to look for.
By 2004 Ford seem to have sorted out most, if not
all, of the problems with the Mondeo TDCi.

Very few problems over 93k miles with my 2002 Mondeo.
Decisions ..... - No Do$h
[vic reeves mode] You wouldn't let it lie! [/vic reeves mode]
[vic reeves mode] You wouldn't let it lie! [/vic reeves mode]

Not for the first time ND you have lost me there?
Decisions ..... - Blue {P}
I reckon the Merc looks a lot better than the Mondeo, but any Merc that you will get for the same money will be a lot more leggy, older and much higher mileage. There may also be an element of the pverty spec versus the well equipped when comparing Merc and Ford.

As for the Audi, it's nice looking, but I wouldn't say that it's significantly better than the Mondeo, and again, it will certainly be a lot more leggy, and probably poorer spec than a similarly priced Mondeo.

Blue
Decisions ..... - welshy
Looks like a tdci mondeo then , any other thoughts on the Nissan Primera diesels ?
Decisions ..... - Dynamic Dave
Hey Welshy,

How about a Vectra ;o)

::ducks and leaves::
Decisions ..... - blue_haddock
Hey Welshy,

How about an Avensis?

::Hides behind Dave::
Decisions ..... - Adam {P}
Hey Welshy,

How about a Focus (saloon)?

::Jumps over Dave to hide behind b_h::
--
Adam
Decisions ..... - welshy
Thanks for the comments , dont like the new vectras friend has one nothing but problems . Toyota avensis not keen on them , focus to small .
Citroen are doing good deals on the Xsara Picasso .
Decisions ..... - Adam {P}
Too small? TOO SMALL?!? It has a cavernous boot for God's sake man!
--
Adam
Decisions ..... - Avant
You could have a Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI for the price of a nearly-new Mondeo. The image of Skodas is much better than it used to be and the number of reactionaries who wouldn't be seen dead in one is falling. (Unfortunately, much as I love her, that number still includes SWMBO!)
Decisions ..... - Bagpuss
I had a C220CDI as a company car for 3 years. I picked it up in June 2000, so one of the very first of the new shape to leave the assembly line. It was fitted with pretty much every option (Automatic, Command, Xenon, Climate Control, Telephone, etc.) and I did 85000 very hard driven kilometres in 3 years, during which time it was 100% reliable and inside and outside looked as good when I gave it back as the day it left the factory. There was almost no stone chipping on the paintwork, no rattles or creaks from anywhere and all the toys worked perfectly, it was also very economical.

Since opting out of the company car scheme, I've driven most of the usual medium sized cars on rental (e.g. Mondeo, Vectra, Laguna, 3 Series, A4). For long journeys the C Class would still be my choice as it's much more comfortable to drive than the others, though doesn't handle as well as a 3 Series.
Decisions ..... - barney100
I am on my second c class diesel and can say that apart from one bill they have been very reasonable to run. Mercedes have taken a bit of flak recently from the likes of Mr Clarkson but many taxi firms in europe use merc diesels. These cars do starship mileages and taxi firms are pretty good judges of quality, some of the drivers of these cars in Madiera etc give them the foot to the floor treatment day in day out....get the Merc ...it will do the job for you.

Ask Honest John

Value my car