exhaust holes (any car) - Chris S
The pipe out of my silencer (ie the one that discharges gasses into the air) has a few holes in it.

Is this part of the exhaust MOT-testable as all the silencing and emisssions functions have already been performed?

Also is there anything to stop me from just cutting the rusty bit off? It would save mesing about with exhaust putty.
exhaust holes (any car) - martint123
Depends how far from the edge of the body the cut is. If the pipe does not extand past the bodywork then there is potential for poisonous fumes to get into the car. Also if you have plastic trim or bumper it will melt.
exhaust holes (any car) - Cliff Pope
I think any section of pipe that doesn't actually protrude beyond the edge of the bodywork or bumper has to be un-holed.
If it just has a few small holes you can patch them - the beauty of the repair is not part of the test. I've done bodges with bits of tin can and jubilee clips in the past, just to keep one section hanging on until it becomes worth while replacing the whole system.
But any gas emerging under the car will be a fail.
exhaust holes (any car) - Dynamic Dave
If there's still enough of it sticking out of the backbox, why not cut away the worst of it & fit a chrome tailpipe on what's left sticking out?
exhaust holes (any car) - madf
There is a repair kit consisting of a piece of aluminium, some paste and wire or jubilee clips to mend such holes.
About £3.50 in our local motor factor,,,,

madf

exhaust holes (any car) - Chris S
Thanks - Id forgotten about the possibility of exhaust gasses leaking into the car.
exhaust holes (any car) - Cymrogwyllt
I've got past many MOT's using Gun Gum and opened out oil tins with Jubillee clips