New car paint protection package - jaun27
When buying a new car these days the dealer often offers a "protection package" including some kind of treatment for the paint work.

My question is are these worth the extra £300 or so? Or are they just a way of the dealer getting a bit extra on the deal after negotiations are over....
New car paint protection package - daveyjp
They are worth it if you can get them free. £300 is a lot of car shampoo and polish!
Owt for nowt's always good of course but if such a package is at all worthwhile why don't at least some (ie premium brand) manufacturers do it in the factory and/or offer as an "official" option. This not being so leads me to believe its a bit of a scam.
New car paint protection package - blue_haddock
My question is are these worth the extra £300 or so?
Or are they just a way of the dealer getting a
bit extra on the deal after negotiations are over....

No their not really worth £300 and yes it is a way for the dealer to make a bit extra on top of the deal. The dealer probably pays out around £50 for the kit and having it applied by a valeter - the rest is pure profit. You can buy similar kits off the net for around £50 then you either need to apply it yourself or pay a valeting firm to do it.

If your interested in it i'd tell the dealer that you'll have it but only if he does it at £99.
Got a URL for kits?
a quick google and ebay search shows up

ultrashield.co.uk/
www.autokote.com/
www.paintprotection.co.uk/
tinyurl.com/ar2jz
tinyurl.com/99n3w

Hope that helps.
New car paint protection package - Stuartli
...and if you wash and polish the car yourself regularly you'll quickly spot anything untoward, as well as enjoying it and saving money....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
New car paint protection package - Dr Rubber
You can get the kits off ebay for less than £20. They do work, as my seats and paint are easier to keep clean with Lifeshine on than my old Touran without.

If you do do it yourself you need to set asside a while for it to work properly (the Lifeshine kit says 4 hours). I would sooner to get a dealer to put it on at less than they originally ask!

Joe
New car paint protection package - kithmo
I would sooner to get a dealer to put
it on at less than they originally ask!
Joe

But how do you know they HAVE put it on, it's invisible. I know a valeter who works at a dealership and he told me that they don't even apply the stuff sometimes, just give the car a good wax polish and the punter knows no difference.
But how do you know they HAVE put it on, it's
invisible. I know a valeter who works at a dealership and
he told me that they don't even apply the stuff sometimes,
just give the car a good wax polish and the punter
knows no difference.

And that Kith is a very good point.
New car paint protection package - Bill Payer
I was put off by the pack that comes with it so you can reapply it etc - what's the point of that if it's supposed to last 3 yrs.
Having said that, my daughters metallic black Seat Ibiza really shows bird poo marks (despite being regularly AutoGlymed) - if it would have prevented that then might have been worth it.
New car paint protection package - J Bonington Jagworth
I rather doubt that these 'kits' contain polish that is significantly different from Autoglym. If better chemistry was available, Autoglym (or Mer or the others) would use it.
New car paint protection package - madf
I had Ultrashield on my A4.
I would not bother again.
It worked as well as an annual polish and after 2 yearsthe effect seemed to have worn off.

Rightguard on the seats was good.

Never again: DIY if you have the time is far more cost effective.

Bet it's a good way to improve dealer margins tho...

madf

New car paint protection package - chuck
They do work - I had a car which must've had some poor quality laquer coz it kept fading after a few (3) months. I polished it (again) then applied TOUGHSEAL which I bought from e-bay and it hasn't faded since (12 months later)
New car paint protection package - chuck
PS Don't expect it to keep beading water though!
New car paint protection package - steveo3002
i work at a vauxhall dealers that sells the protection, most of it is comision for the salesman , and the polishes/scotchgaurd hardly ecers gets put on properly..sometimes not at all!!

id advise to get a kit from ebay and take your time doing it well...or weekly wash with a polish now and then will keep it just as good

New car paint protection package - Leon on Derv
Did one of the cars yesterday.

Autoglym Tar remover - removed previous wax coats and tar spots including on alloys

Autoglym super resin polish - to take out minor swirls & put the shine back on.

Simoniz hard wax - Two coats to lock in that shine.

My arms ache a bit this morning - car is four years old now - gets this three times a year - looks as good as those in the showrooms.

Cost of polishes - no more than £30. Did take almost all day yesterday though.

Appreciate not everyone has the time or interest in automotive apperearance. But being a desk pilot five days a week - I find it most relaxing and like to see my cars transformed to near showroom condition.

Surely upholstery and carpets are scotchguarded at the factory - why pay for another protectant on the interrior?

Leon
New car paint protection package - L'escargot
Rightguard on the seats was good.

I thought Rightguard was a personal deodorant.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
New car paint protection package - Roly93
You can get the kits off ebay for less than £20.
They do work, as my seats and paint are easier to
keep clean with Lifeshine on than my old Touran without.
If you do do it yourself you need to set asside
a while for it to work properly (the Lifeshine kit says
4 hours). I would sooner to get a dealer to put
it on at less than they originally ask!
Joe

I did this, and it isn't that hard to do, in fact about 1 1/2 times as hard as giving the car a thorough waxing.

If I had paid £300 for this treatment at a dealer, I could have never lived with myself afterwarsds, knowing I'd been so ripped-off !!!!
New car paint protection package - Dr Rubber
I just didn't have time to do it myself unfortunately. Anyhow, the smell from the interior protection was bad even after a couple of days to wear off. I would not want my kids in the car immediately after applying it!
Joe