"Clicking" brakes - jonbenj
I drive a Fiat Seicento sporting. It's a 2000 model which has done approx 4000 miles. If the car has been parked up for any length of time (i.e. overnight, or left at work all day), when you first apply the brakes there is an audible click from the pedal as it moves through the first centimetre or so of travel. This "click" is also felt through the pedal. It only happens once, and isn't heard or felt until the following morning, or later in the afternoon. When mentioned to a salesman, he suggested it was because it's new, which sounds like flannel. Can anyone suggest the real explanation? Car does not have ABS, but brakes are servo-assisted.
Re: "Clicking" brakes - Don Cox
I'm not familier with this type vehicle, but in my experience this effect is caused by the brake pads moving in their calipers. What usually happens is that the last brake application during parking drives the pads as far as they can go in one direction and the reverse rotation of the discs when moving away causes the pads to move to the other extreme, when they reach their stop a click is heard. If this is it, it's just a noise. You might be able to prove it by using the hand brake to park with.If this stops it from happening I would think it's fairly conclusive.

Regards Don Cox.
Re: "Clicking" brakes - jonbenj
Thanks for your suggestion Don, but I don't think that's the cause. If it was, I would expect to get the "click" every time I press the pedal after parking up. I wondered if it was something to do with the master cylinder. I'm fairly certain the noise is coming from around the pedal itself, and certainly not from the calipers. It's frustrating because it won't do it on demand, only after the car has been parked for what would appear to be 4 or 5 hours. Any other ideas?
Re: "Clicking" brakes - richard turpin
I agree with Don, although I don't understand how using the handbrake can help. I think it's on the rear in the 600 but I'm not sure. Even if it's the front I still don't see how the handbrake can help diagnose the cause.
Re: "Clicking" brakes - Don Cox
Richard
Sorry, I was trying not to write an essay. If you use the hand brake for the final application of the brakes prior to parking the front pads, which are the probable cause, won't be driven hard against their stops, not having been used. Hence when you move off again they will probably be in their "neutral" position and won't click. I only suggested its use to help prove the cause, not cure the fault.

Regards

Don Cox.
Re: "Clicking" brakes - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
I don't think it's anything serious, just a bit of "sticktion" in the pivot or operating linkage. Try a little careful and sparing use of WD40 or GT85 (smells nicer!) around the area and see how you get on.
Good luck
Re: "Clicking" brakes - Barry
I've got exactly the same problem with my 8 year old ZX diesel. The "clicking noise sounds like it's coming from the front of the car and is more audible with the windows open. I've no idea what it is - it's passed an MOT which renewed the rear wheel cylinders and linings, the clicking noise persists. The front pads are also recent. I can feel the click through the brake pedal and suspect play in the front calipers. It seems more noticeable when the car is thoroughly warmed up.I've stopped worrying about it as I've done 15000 miles since I first heard it and the brakes still work OK (or at least as well as a ZX can!)
If you find out the problem, please let me know!!!

Barry
Re: "Clicking" brakes - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Barry
I think your problem is more likely to be due to the pressed steel tensioning springs or the anti-squeal shims are missing from the front brake pads. These parts are not always ncluded in aftermarket pads and can be missed out allowing the pads to move in the caliper. Hence the clicking noise.
Re: "Clicking" brakes - Ron Stynes
Hi

If the sound comes from above the pedal and sort of behind the dash, its one of 2 things. 1/ (Most likely) its the non return valve on the brake servo or 2/ its the washer at the rod end of the master cylinder which is getting momentarily stuck! (Very unpredictable) If it is the vacuum valve I would have it seen to fairly quickly as this could fail on you at the wrong time.

Regards

Ron