Scenic II Oil change - BobbyG
I have a Scenic II, 1.9dci engine with 18,000 mile services. After reading various threads on here and other forums, reckon I should get the oil changed just now, 12000 miles, as the car is used for a lot of stop / start journeys.

Now my technical knowledge could be written on the back of a grain of rice! I have read the sticky oil thread but a couple of questions.

1. Manual says use 10W40 or 10W50. I believe the best oils are fully synthetic, do these come with the same name ie 10W40 or is it different?

2. Any particular oil I should look at, bearing in mind it will get changed again at 18000 miles?

3. Where is the cheapest place to buy the oil - my local independent can physically do the work for a tenner or so I am sure. I assume I should buy a filter from the dealer to avoid any problems with warranties etc? Or will one of the fast fit places do it cheaper? Manual says it takes 4.8 litres.

Any advice (in lay man's language) would be appreciated.

Scenic II Oil change - big davey
10/40 semi synthetic will be fine, no need for fully synthetic.
I would get a genuine oil filter from the dealer or, if you have a Euro carparts near you, they sell genuine renault oil filters, we buy 50 at a time from them. If you were near South Shields, you could come and get a filter from us.
Scenic II Oil change - Dave N
You may want to satisfy yourself with the accesibility of the oil filter first. Even if you're happy getting your arm right down there, you might not be so happy with the oil slick on your blockpaving.
Davey, sorry live in Scotland. How much are the filters? Excuse the stupid question but what make are the Renault filters?
Also, does it make any difference if I get one of them or just go to Fast Fit place and get their semi-synthetic and filter?
Scenic II Oil change - Ivor E Tower
Is there an engine under-tray with an unscrewable cover under the sump plug, as per the Scenic Mark I ? Don't understand why some manufacturers make you take the entire engine under-tray off just to get at the sump plug. With garage labour rates as around the £100 per hour mark, £50 just to remove and replace a piece of protective plastic seems escessive to me.
Update to this, National were able to do oil and filter change for £15 with a semi-synthetic oil. But won't use a Renault filter, even if I supply it and foot the bill.

I asked Renault if this would invalidate the warranty and their response was:

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the servicing of your Renault Scenic 1.9dci.

I can confirm you are entitled to take your vehicle to a fast fit centre to carry out your service if you wish to do so. However, please be aware that any servicing must be carried out to Renault standards and using genuine Renault parts to prevent any implications on your warranty.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Renault and if you would like any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated Customer Services department on 0800 072 33 72. Our department is open from 8.30am to 6.00pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank holidays) and is committed to providing the best service in the industry.

So my car has done 13,000 miles. If I leave the oil in it till 18,000 as recommended by Renault and there is a problem, I will be covered by warranty. If I change the oil and filter just now (as recommended by a lot of experts on here) and something goes wrong, then I won't be protected!

Doesn't make sense!
Scenic II Oil change - xxx
I to have recentley had a 18000 mile service on my 2.2dci laguna they used shell helix plus 10w 40 which when investigated is used and recommended by Turbo Technics which have had a long good reputation with turbo chargers so if its fine with the manufacturer and the tuning experts its fine with me.

Remember they put semi in from the factory when new.
Scenic II Oil change - Altea Ego
BobbyG

There is nothing wrong with 18,000 mile service regimes on Renault 1.9Dci. If there is any long term problem it will be well after you have sold the car.

However

If you feel yours needs more regular servicing, you dont have to wait till 18000 miles, you can have it serviced by Renault as and when you like.

So why not decide on a 12000 mile service regime with Renault during its warranty?
Doing a 12,000 miles service with x and a 18,000 miles service with y sounds like a recipe for agravation and disaster.

IMHO of course
Scenic II Oil change - PhilG
My Scenic's just had it's 18000 mile service, and to be honest, I think you'll be fine. Mine does upwards of 250-300 miles per day, and about half of that is stop-start M25/town driving.

Having said that, I did notice a definite performance increase once the service was done. The car seems more responsive now, and for the last thousand miles before the service, seemed a bit unwilling and slow.
Scenic II Oil change - Xileno {P}
But if you're covering 250-300 a day, then if my sums are right, your Scenic is getting an oil change every 12 weeks. But if the 18K is covered over a much longer period, then my view is that 18K is too long. The Renault manual says something along the lines that if you do a fair bit of urban driving or short journeys, then change it earlier (or words to that effect).

My dCi gets its oil changed every 10K since my annual mileage is quite low.
Phil, out of curiosity, how much was the service and what got done? Mine will need its 18,000 within the next couple of months or so.
Did they do any warranty work? On various websites there are long lists of "faults" with these cars and engines, some of which supposedly have a "fix" by Renault. Can't say my Scenic has any of the faults mentioned, other than maybe rattling sunroof when cold outside!
Scenic II Oil change - Xileno {P}
Rattling sunroof when cold is easily fixed. My Megane did this and the dealer adjusted the runner or something. Not had the problem since.