Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - THe Growler
From yesterday's Sunday Times

THE British have enjoyed a leap in IQ unmatched by anybody else in the developed world over the past 60 years, a study has revealed.
James Flynn, a professor at the University of Otago in New Zealand and a leading authority on intelligence quotient, says he has found an ?exceptional and unappreciated? rise.

Last year the professor announced a worldwide increase in IQ after demonstrating that we are generally brighter than our parents, but are outwitted by our children. He suggested that the complexities of modern life were stimulating the brain.

Now a comparison of data from thousands of tests in universities and the military in 20 countries has shown that this so-called Flynn Effect is greatest in Britain, with a 27-point increase in average IQ since the second world war.

While differences in the way countries measure IQ make it impossible to compile a league table of intelligence, America?s average score has risen by just 24 points since 1918.

Much of the British advantage comes from speaking English, the standard tool of communication in commerce and culture.

The British also benefit from IQ-boosters such as lower truancy and better nutrition than in America.
--------------

Ehere this wretched professor must have been looking for comparisons I don't know. Since he speaks from NZ, possibly he has people confused with sheep.

Absolutely nothing I experience on my occasional trips to UK support these assertions, from airline checkin attendants through car rental agents and oh-mi-god those call centers. And definitely not many of the drivers I encounter. These columns' contents support the contention that idiocy remains a thriving human condition.
Re: Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - Richard Hall
Perhaps IQ tests, like A levels, have been made easier...
Re: Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - ChrisR
As I understand it, the "average" IQ, on both the commonly used scales, is 100. So in fact, if average IQ has risen, IQ tests have become more difficult.

The problem with them is, that you can learn the protocol and get "better" the more IQ tests you do. I was tested for a psychology experiment a few years back. One test was aimed at Americans, the other for Brits. I scored worse on the American test, because some of the questions depended on cultural understanding. This is more of a problem with "emotional intelligence", because one country's compliment is another's insult. Hand gestures whilst driving are a case in point.

Chris
Re: Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - ian (cape town)
www.private-eye.co.uk/dumb.htm
Re: Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - Brian
What a shame that the alleged IQ increase is not reflected in driving skills!
Re: Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - Moosh
What about the goo old 'common sense'.

Can it be measured like IQ ?
Re: Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - Andy
I think IQ tests are extremely iffy. When I was 10 or so, a group of people came into our school 'to carry out an IQ test' on our age group.
the test seemed to consist of nothing more than a memory test with complicated rules which I could not grasp, and I scored very poorly.
A year later I flew through my 11-plus, and an estimation based on this showed an IQ of 136.
So am I thick or above average?
Re: Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - Phil P
Andy, find two more points from somewhere and you can join MENSA!
Correction - Phil P
Sorry, it's IQ of 148+ for Mensa, not 138 as I had implied.
Re: Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - Brian
Or lose a few points and you can join DENSA
Re: Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - ladas are slow
i cant understand how carol smillie is very high up in the mensa group, as she just seems to be a bit of a bimbo.
Re: Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - Mark (Brazil)
If she is the lady that used to do that quiz show with anagrams and maths problems, then you are SOOOOOO wrong.

Big surprise there.

However, unless they totally fiddled the recording of that programme, and assuming its the same person, that is one seriously smart woman.
Re: Correction - Carol Smillie
Chris,
I think so very highly of you and your stimulating contributions to this forum.

Love

Carol
Re: Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - Carol Smillie
Thank You Mark, as Andy said in another thread "it takes one to recognise one."

But you really must not upset CW by contradicting him, he is undergoing therapy.

CS
Re: Britannia Rules the Brainwaves - ian (cape town)
Excuse me! Haven't any of you brainy types noticed that the title has been wrongly spelt throughout this thread? :)
Re: Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - David W
And of course Carol Vorderman is the maths brainbox from the "quiz show".

Carol Smillie is more likely to do up your Porsche!

David
Re: Britannia Rules the Brainwaves - ian (cape town)
If Carole Vorderman is such a maths whiz, how come she can't work out that a size 16 body won't fit into a size 12 dress?
Re: Britannia Rules the Brainwaves - David W
Ian,

Guess you're relying on distance for safety here.

I think the girls had better answer that post.

David
Re: Brittania Rules the Brainwaves - Mark (Brazil)
who's Carol Smillie then ?
The real Carol Smillie. - David W
>who's Carol Smillie then ?

Mark I think you've been away too long. But you were up to speed on Geri Halliwell so is this selective research on your part?

Carol Smillie is an ex-model, game show hostess, boat show presenter and now TV presenter of DIY makeover type shows and other light entertainment stuff. She's good at that and is on a great deal hence attracts some critisism for....well being on a lot.

I hope we're spelling your surname correctly Carol.

David
Re: The real Carol Smillie. - Mark (Brazil)
> But you were up to speed on Geri Halliwell

Oh, with half a chance I would be.............

> Carol Smillie is an ex-model, game show hostess, boat show presenter and > now TV presenter of DIY makeover type shows...........

No, no idea.

I did see one garden makeover type show, but it was introduced by some kind of hippy girlie in a t-shirt. I saw it twice and the same thing was distinctive, and surprising on early television. It was, I am trying to say this delicately, obviously frequently cold in front of the camera.

British Television here is limited to Frost, Morse, Prime Suspect and that sort of thing with occasional runs of Black Adder or AbFab, although we do get Antiques Roadshow each Sunday Morning.

Plus, or course, BBC World.

We do get the teletubbies every morning, in either Spanish or Portuguese....

"abrazo grande, oh oh " and most impressive of all "La La quisiera tubby la tostada".

M.
Re: The real Carol Smillie. - Brill
Geri Halliwell ... Tubby Custard.

Nuuurse!