strange vibration 1986 Volvo 360 - pettaw
Hiya,

Strange vibration/resonation noise only happens at lowish revs, quite specific though, once about 1200 ish and once about 1400 ish. Not related to loads as far as I can tell.

I've tried shorting out each of the plugs in turn and its still there. also have removed all belts with no change. I tried running with the timing belt cover off to see if there was any vibration in the belt. Its not there when cold though.

Any other ideas where to look? I know the exhaust vibrates a bit, but thats a different type of lower pitched rumble, this is higher pitched.

Oh, its also there when you dip the clutch.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
strange vibration 1986 Volvo 360 - Peter D
Jam a piece of wood bettween the tunnel and the exhaust about .5m after the down pipe and try it again, I think you ahve a loose baffle in the exhaust. Regards Peter
strange vibration 1986 Volvo 360 - pettaw
Thanks for the suggestion Peter, I put the car up on stands and did as you said, unfortunately the noise is still there.

It sounds as though its coming from the front of the engine lower down, but I can't get anything to stop it even pulling out each plug lead in turn.

I've made a recording of it, in case that helps at all.

All I'm doing is gently raising and lowering the revs with the clutch depressed (not that it makes any difference clutch up or down), so there is minimal load on the engine.

www.pettaw.dsl.pipex.com/360noise.mp3