Golf Mk IV front end "creaking" - Jakester
My 2001 TDi creaks like a comfy old rocking chair. The sound appears to come from the front wheel area, though to my amateur ear feels like it could be the suspension. Seems to be heat-related, often not occurring on short journeys but getting progressively louder and more frequent on longer distances. Hot weather also seems to exacerbate it. It's loudest when turning tight corners & especially when going over speed humps. At annual service a few weeks ago the dealership said it was due to worn-down tyres, which were replaced. But as soon as the recent warm weather hit, it was clear the problem was not fixed. It's booked in again at the dealer, but has anyone got any bright ideas?
Golf Mk IV front end "creaking" - mjm
Assuming that the dealer has checked for broken road springs, etc, it could be the warm weather. It is a fair time since we have had any rain(down south, anyway) and the rubber bushes/spring seats have probably totally dried out. You could try carefully hosing the front suspension areas down and going for a test drive to see if it has improved. Be aware that the brakes will be wet.
Golf Mk IV front end "creaking" - mfarrow
Sounds like the creaking-from-front-especially-when-turning syndrome I had in the Summer last year. Look at this thread: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23369&...f

Try bouncing the front of the car when stationary and steering on full lock. Confirmed for me that it was the suspension.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Golf Mk IV front end "creaking" - mare
Bit of a guess - ball joints?

Only suggest it because my Octavia TDI had worn ball joints and creaked and groaned terrible.
Golf Mk IV front end "creaking" - Chas{P}
Sounds to me like worn anti-roll bar bushes and/or links.

Had exactly the same symptoms on my Mondeo until last week when I changed both sides.

Car is now silent and handles better.
Golf Mk IV front end "creaking" - 547HEW
My 2001 TDi PD has just started to do this at 103,000 mls. As yours , only there when weather hot, and at end of long drive.
Is mainly suspension movement related, slight influence of steering. Its due an oil service soon, so I'll inspect in detail then.