Bedford Rascal Damp Starting. - pawlatta
I am having problems with the starting of my 1988 Rascal van in the damp. At first it is difficult to start as it dies as soon as the ignition is released. Then when it is under load/pulling away the engine seems to be misfiring and lacking power, usually causing it to cut out again. The same happens when changing gear.
Once it has been going for a while it seems to sort itself out a bit.
I have checked all the usual: points, plugs, timing etc.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

NB: all upper case is regarded as shouting on the internet. I have amended your note, but please bear that in mind. Thanks - Mark.
BEDFORD RASCAL DAMP STARTING. - tmech
More than likely to be the leads breaking down and tracking to the outside of the lead. Made worse by damp conditions.
BEDFORD RASCAL DAMP STARTING. - Xileno {P}
I would give the leads a good clean with a rag moistened with white spirit. If no better, then replace them.

We're not deaf BTW!
BEDFORD RASCAL DAMP STARTING. - helicopter
I agree it sounds very much like the leads tracking.

Find a windowless garage or wait until dark and get someone to start for you and look for sparks from the leads. If its Blackpool illuminations , change them

However I would give all the electrics a good spray of WD40 as well, it sometimes can work wonders.
BEDFORD RASCAL DAMP STARTING. - SjB {P}
At some traffic lights a few weeks ago I sat behind a tatty old Suzuki equivalent to the Rascal and thought something was wrong with the engine from the erratic idle, and that the exhaust had a major hole in it from the flatulent boom.

When it then came crisply on cam and howled away from the lights - leaving the car alongside for dead - I realised that it almost certainly had a sports bike engine fitted.

This is the second time I have come across such a device.
Just great! :-))

Beats the Gixer 1000 engine Smart Car hands down for effect.