Druggies Plough Into Schoolkids - DSLRed
This morning a couple of druggies ploughed into the front of a car park at our local high school at very high speed, scattering kids all over and hitting (so I'm told) about 9 of them. Miraculously none were seriously injured.

Both were stoned out of their heads. One attempted a runner and was caught quickly by a couple of teachers on the scene. The other was too stoned to get out of the car - they did not know where they were.

No doubt they'll get a community service order, 12 month ban (which they'll ignore anyway) and, in our crim friendly society they'll be able to sue because they could have been injured when the school put bollards in their way (which they knocked flying).

Druggies Plough Into Schoolkids - TimW
No doubt they'll get a community service order, 12 month ban
(which they'll ignore anyway) and, in our crim friendly society they'll
be able to sue because they could have been injured when
the school put bollards in their way (which they knocked flying).

Unfortunately that wouldn't suprise me at all.

Let us know the outcome though, maybe the law will get tough this time.
Druggies Plough Into Schoolkids - codefarm
Maybe those druggies would benefit from the type of policing practised in Boynton Beach, Florida:

www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/news/video/tase...l

Druggies Plough Into Schoolkids - trancer
Those things work great don't they?. About face attitude adjustment in 0.00005 seconds. Bet she will think twice before mouthing off to another Officer.
Druggies Plough Into Schoolkids - BobbyG
www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5040119.html

I will let you form your own opinion of this in today's paper. For your info, this was the road that was raised in a thread recently about why does it have so many speed cameras. It is also the first road in Scotland to get SPECS.
I think that there should be a 3 strikes and you're out rule with regard to driving - accumulate 3 bans and the third is for life.

Get caught driving a car again and you get long prison stretch. Get caught again and the stretches just keep getting longer.

When will the authorities create sentences for such driving that recognise the fact that a car is a lethal weapon. You can get a jail sentence for simply being in posession of a firearm, why is a car any different.
Druggies Plough Into Schoolkids - Adam {P}
But bans don't mean a thing to these people.
--
Adam
But a 10 year jail term for the offence of "driving a car whilst serving a life ban" might.
I agree with you - just playing devil's advocate.

Do you really think that they'd get 10 years for driving whilst serving a life ban? I could turn over 2 banks and a few off licence's with a shotgun and not get 10 years.

The jail sentences for taking drugs doesn't seem to deter them.
--
Adam
Of course they wouldn't - that's the country we live in. Even if they introduced changes in sentencing policy that allowed sentences up to that limit the average would be 6 weeks.

But that doesn't stop me from wanting it to happen though!!
I'll agree with you there :-)
--
Adam
Druggies Plough Into Schoolkids - No Do$h
I'm trying very, very hard to picture how this will return to being a motoring thread and not a flog em, hang em and grind their bones to dust rant.

Please help me realise this crazy dream.

No Do$h - Alfa-driving Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Oh come on Al - I even threw in a mention of a life ban for driving as did Mile Muncher. Do you want blood?

;-)
--
Adam
Druggies Plough Into Schoolkids - Sofa Spud
>>I think that there should be a 3 strikes and you're out rule with regard to driving - accumulate 3 bans and the third is for life.

Not even 3 strikes1 More use should be made of permanent revocation of driving licences. Many people don't drive because they've failed the test several times or because they have a medical condition. Yet many such people would probably be safer on the road than some reckless licenced drivers. There should be a campaign to get the really bad drivers off the road -permanently!

cheers, Sofa Spud
Druggies Plough Into Schoolkids - teabelly
Without traffic police how are you actually going to keep them off the road? On average most drivers are stopped once every 6 years so that is plenty of driving time before you get banned again.

The only solution is lots of traffic patrols so if you drive illegally you'll get stopped much more regularly. Unless you imprison all banned then drove while banned drivers it is difficult to physically prevent them from driving without having a policeman sat outside their house all day.

I could buy some old wreck for cash and drive it around without much bother around here as I don't think there is a traffic police division any more. Avoid town centres on footy days and late nights and you basically won't get seen. The anpr vans tend to lurk on main routes so if you drive the B roads then again you are free to go about your business unhindered. A cloned plate would keep off casual observances (have to choose a reg that is taxed and insured obviously!)

The only possible way of preventing someone from driving without locking them up would be to have some sort of cast that went round the knee so they couldn't bend it properly so it was physically impossible for them to drive while they were wearing it. It would also be a right pain in the rest of their life so perhaps it might prove effective. The carrot approach would be to make all public transport free at the point of use for everyone so the temptation to drive whle banned would be less as there was free transport around.
teabelly
Druggies Plough Into Schoolkids - J Bonington Jagworth
"I could turn over 2 banks...and not get 10 years."

Actually, you probably would, as property seems to count for more than people. Valerio Viccei, the Italian bank robber who famously robbed a safe deposit centre in Knightsbridge, got sent down for 23 years without shooting anyone. He claims he was only caught because he hung around to arrange the shipment of his beloved Testarossa...

(See, it is about motoring!)
Druggies Plough Into Schoolkids - turbo11
I think amputation of the hands would work well.At least it would stop them driving.