Audi A4 2002 model rear wash/wipe prob.. - mechanisedmyth
Hi,

Thanks for reading my query and I'll be ecstatic if you can help me solve my problem. I've just bought a used A4 Avant and the hose feeding the rear wash/wiper would appear to be loose as, when activated, I get water dripping out of the tailgate panel. There are four screws retaining the panel on the underside of the boot lid near where the warning triangle is housed but, after removing these screws I can't get the panel off to get to the back of the wiper mechanism.I don't want to apply too much pressure in case I break the panel off......any ideas please? and does anyone know where I can get SLX 0W30 oil cheaply...Halford is nearly £40. for 4 litres!

Andy T.
Audi A4 2002 model rear wash/wipe prob.. - Alec
I had an MY98 Avant and the lower tailgate panel was secured with the 4 screws and then just clips. Looking at the parts book yours is the same. You need to be brave and just pull, or lever with something that will not scratch the paint. It feels very tight....
I bought SLX II (506.01) from German & Swedish. It was not much cheaper as I remember.There are other suppliers of 506.01 like Millers, you just need to find an outlet in your area.
Rgds
many thanks for the advice, I'm still working up to it!!
regards Andy
Audi A4 2002 model rear wash/wipe prob.. - Roly93
Thanks for reading my query....

If its the Castrol SLX Longlife II you are talking about for the 1.9 diesel engines, our local SavaCentre filling station is now stocking it at £12.99.
It is the Longlife II OW30 but I assume you mean that's the price for 1 litre. Audi main dealer is about the same.
Thanks for your response anyway,
regards Andy

Audi A4 2002 model rear wash/wipe prob.. - Aretas
Andy T,

Please advise if you were able to solve the rear washer problem. I have exactly the same problem on my 2002 A4 Avant, and the trim does not budge, but have been frightened of breaking something
Thanks

Mike H
Audi A4 2002 model rear wash/wipe prob.. - El Dingo
It's secured by metal clips - basically, just pull!!!

El Dingo.
Thanks for the advice, I'm still working up to it.
regards Andy.
Mike,
I haven't had time to try out the advice yet , or the guts, if I break the panel I'm in for big trouble as we've just bought it and it was my idea in the first place!. Have you done yours yet and what was the problem ? . I'm assuming the hose end has seperated from the back of the squirter housing.

Let me know please.
Regards Andy.
Took the advice and unscrewed the 4 retaining screws then put my hand inside and pushed down increasing pressure until the bottom 2 sppring loaded clips prised apart. Reached up inside the back and located the lug on the end of the hose which was just loose and clipped it back on the housing on the inside of the washer mechanism. Think I broke one clip in doing so but the 4 screws hold it all back in place well enough. Watch out for the electrical wire feed to the boot light, mine came loose and had to put it back on before screwing the panel back on again - make sure the lights working. Good luck and thanks to those who gave the advice.
regards Andy
Audi A4 2002 model rear wash/wipe prob.. - Aretas
Thanks everyone for the advice.

This afternoonI took to courage to pull trim harder and problem is now solved. The hose had separated from the junction, possibly when I used it in the winter when the nipples were probably icebound and the pressure from the pump caused it to separate.

Mike H
Audi A4 2002 model rear wash/wipe prob.. - DL
You ought to try removing some modern-day dash items if you want to be scared of levering some plastic bits and bobs!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....