Golf GTI IV respray & cigar lighter q's! - perleman
Guys,

I've been enjoying my golf IV gti turbo 150 for all of 4 weeks now (with only the airbag, air mass meter, throttle body & cigarette lighter going wrong), and have now scrapped the rear wheel-arch (nearside back) on a concrete post - several layers of paint have come off, but the body part itself is not damaged, so do I need a complete panel respray and if so, what should I expect to pay when I take it in? I've had a very wide range of quotes so far - any suggestions appreciated.

Secondly, the cigarette lighter is not working (for power or for lighting smokes!), and it worked to start with. I've checked the fuse & connector at back, has anyone any ideas what else I could look at - I can't face being without the car for another whole day while VW sort this out!

Thanks!
Golf GTI IV respray & cigar lighter q's! - mare
Secondly, the cigarette lighter is not working (for power or for
lighting smokes!), and it worked to start with. I've checked
the fuse & connector at back, has anyone any ideas what
else I could look at - I can't face being without
the car for another whole day while VW sort this out!
Thanks!

I have an Octavia (same car underneath). Check that you haven't disabled the rear electric windows. In the Octavia, doing so also disables the cigarette lighter.

Not even the Skoda garage could suss that out...
Golf GTI IV respray & cigar lighter q's! - perleman
Ridiculous! Is that to prevent exposure of children to the effects of passive smoking, or a design fault??!!!! I'll check that out in a few minutes when I go outside!!!
Golf GTI IV respray & cigar lighter q's! - mare
Ridiculous! Is that to prevent exposure of children to the
effects of passive smoking, or a design fault??!!!! I'll check
that out in a few minutes when I go outside!!!

No, as (on the Octavia at least) the cigarette lighter is located under the armrest and between the front seats, BUT within easy grasp of little fingers, i guess they thought it was a good idea to be able to disable it. If you have to disable the rear windows, then it's a fair bet they'll go for the lighter.

Good solution to a compromised design IMO
Golf GTI IV respray & cigar lighter q's! - steveo3002
from what you say , it sounds like a bodyshop would sand out the scuff and color the damaged area then laquer the whole panel, and depending on colour they may need to blend ajoining panels to make a perfect match
prices wise £180-£350 with the higher price being a dealer and for color blending

please get it done a quality place, not one of these mobile chip repair bandits
Golf GTI IV respray & cigar lighter q's! - Halmer
Mare

I've just cottoned on why my lad's DVD player has stopped working when he plugs it in to the rear cigarette lighter on my Passat. Thank you.