Mondeo's remote central locking - Matt
Dear all

I have recently brought an R reg mondeo which comes with remote central locking. However, the remote (the key has an extended handle with two buttons on it) does not work. The red light on the key, light's up when the button is held for 2 seconds which indicates that the battery is OK. My local ford dealer has suggested that the code/memory for the remote has been wiped, and it will need to be reprogrammed at a cost of £60 + VAT! From what I understand it is a case of pressing the buttons in a particular order to reprogram it. Is this correct and can anybody help?

Thanks in advance

Matt
Re: Mondeo's remote central locking - Adrian
If its the same Infra-red key as supplied on the early Ford Pumas then the procedure for re programming can be found under the Frequently Asked Questions section at www.pumapeople.co.uk/index2.htm

Regards
Adrian
Re: Mondeo's remote central locking - TJ
I've got exactly the same problem. I had a look at the Pumapage and the system seems the same although when I tried, it didn't work! Any suggestions?

TJ
Re: Mondeo's remote central locking - Matt
Thanks for the suggestion Adrian, but as with 'TJ', unfortunately it didn't work. If anybody else has any idea's I would love to hear them. I'm sure someone out there must know the secret key/lock combination!

Matt.
Re: Mondeo's remote central locking - Adrian
Having never tried this method I can't say I was speaking from experience,I only remembered where I had seen the procedure laid down!

If you haven't done so already try changing the battery.The red LED used to signify the battery condition would only draw a very small current to operate but the battery might not still be man enough to supply the load to operate the system.As such the LED may not be a accurate indication of battery strength.

As far as I remember you only have about 30secs to change the battery before the memory is wiped,so be quick!

Regards
Adrian
Re: Mondeo's remote central locking - honestjohn
Changing the battery on these Ford remotes won't do any good. The specific instructions are that you have 10 seconds to change on old live battery for a new one or the fob loses its code. So if the battery is flat, it definitely has lost its code.

But the £60 charge is a racket. My local Ford dealer tried to stiff me for this when all I had asked was that he change the fob battery as part of a service. Since i've done it myself successfully I told him I wasn't prepared to pay for his fitters incompetence, but I reckon there could eb a standing instruction out there to service managers telling them that remote fobs can be a good source of service income.

HJ
Re: Mondeo's remote central locking - John Slaughter
Sounds like a real rip off! Why can't Ford do what Vauxhall do, and give the recoding sequence in the instruction book? My Vectra lost the coding in a couple of seconds when I changed the battery, but it can be recoded in about 10 seconds.

Mind you a friend who didn't read the book was told it was a long job, lost the car for half a day, and was charged about £20 for the privilege by his local dealer, who could have done it while he waited on the forecourt. Maybe they see customers who don't read the manual as fair game!

Reards

John
Re: Mondeo's remote central locking - Dave N
If you email me at dave@autoair.co.uk, or call me on 0850 656355, I will fax or read you the instructions for 97on mondeo. It is different from the puma, and is quite long.
Re: Mondeo's remote central locking - Matt
Thanks Dave. I will try it tonight.

Matt.
Re: Mondeo's remote central locking - trevor
hi matt
the two button remote has been upgraded to a three button remote if you have latest radio transmitter and not earlier infra red ( look on remote should say wireless licence exempt or something like that if it is radio)
maybe the dealer was planning to upgrade your remote for the price quoted
if not I agree it is a rip off as it should only take few minutes usually.
regards Trevor.
Re: Mondeo's remote central locking - richard turpin
Main dealer ripping people off? Surely not!