Problems with Rover 75 - bbroomlea{P}
Hi

Its coming up MOT time and my rover has a few niggles. Was wondering whether someone could shed some light on them and if they will fail the MOT...

here goes

1. Clunking on the front suspension, think it is coming from the drivers side..was like this last year and seems not to have got any worse. Only notice it when going over rough broken surfaces.

2. Rumbling noise when I brake, has all new pads front and back and the discs are still ok, this seems to be coming from the back brakes

3. Although not going to fail its MOT on it but the engine rattles at 3000rpm under full load up to around 4000. Would this be the timing chain or something else less serious...Rover dealer did say it could be a fuel issue as they havent heard of chains needing replacing and its had 5K oil changes.

Car is 1999 Diesel with 210,000 on the clock!

Any ideas would be great!

going to book the car in for the end of this week and get it over and done with! is it wise to let them rev the car to the limit if the rattling is the chain... dont really want to go engine shopping!!
Problems with Rover 75 - Dave N
going to book the car in for the end of this
week and get it over and done with! is it
wise to let them rev the car to the limit if
the rattling is the chain... dont really want to go engine
shopping!!

>>

You don't really have much choice in the matter. Surely you've taken it to the redline before now? At the end of the day, if it goes bang, then it would have gone bang in the not-to-distant future anyway.
it does get regular visits to the red line...try to do it a couple of times a week to keep it healthy!! Probably panicing over nothing but i like timing belts as at least you know when they need changing...sometimes feels like a ticking time bomb..quite literally!!
Problems with Rover 75 - Chris S
The suspension on my Metro clunks as well. It's got through two MOTs though.
Problems with Rover 75 - blue_haddock
The suspension on my Metro clunks as well. It's got
through two MOTs though.

It's a totally different suspension system on the metro though.