best small car economical and reliable - corkball
my vectra diesel has become uneconomical and i wish to replace it with a smaller car which is economical and RELIABLE i have a budget of approx £4000, annual mlg 12000mls any suggestions
best small car economical and reliable - bimmer-driver
Yaris.
best small car economical and reliable - volvoman
Mazda 323 - 2nd most reliable car in the UK according to Parkers reliability survey (combination of the top 3 UK motoring surveys - Fleet News, JD Power & Which). Yaris placed 6th. Honda Jazz 1st.
best small car economical and reliable - Xileno {P}
You won't get a Jazz for 4K.
best small car economical and reliable - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Mazda 323F owned by SWMBO was a very good buy for £4000 last year. 2001 1.6l GSI model.More a medium size though.
Only fault is the engine warning light coming on occasionally.

BTW they all say 323F on the tailgate so why call it a 323?
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
best small car economical and reliable - local yokel
The best small car is a Yaris, and even HJ agrees with me on that. Know of several, and all their owners are very happy.
best small car economical and reliable - volvoman
Wasn't suggesting you could get a Jazz for £4k - only mentioned it as it seemed churlish not to name the overall winner.

As regards the 323 v. Yaris - they're obviously both very good cars but the 323 is a good deal bigger so if size does matter....

Horses for courses really.

A neighbour has a Y plate Suzuki Ignis 1.3 which she loves. It's got 5 doors and loads of headroom. It's been cheap to run/insure and very reliable to date.
best small car economical and reliable - JamZ
if you want ultra-cheap but still reliable, you could investigate a Hyundai Getz. A while back you could pick up a brand new one (1.1L petrol) for 5,999 with 3 years free servicing, 3 years free RAC cover, unlimited mileage 5 year warranty and I think with a years free insurance! They don't look too bad either I don't think! Standard kit is fairly good also (PAS, Elec front windows, CD player etc.). I bet you could get a one or two year old one for that sort of money, no problems.

best small car economical and reliable - Happy Blue!
Just what I was going to suggest. They even do a derv drinker that will proably do 65mpg. May get a 2nd hand one for £4k.

The equivalent Micra is too new for £4k.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
best small car economical and reliable - frazerjp
If you're not bothered with bootspace, try a Ford Ka ford are doing some good deals on new ones at the mo especially on the base spec if you not bothered with equipment!

Its just a shame they dont do a diesel version!!!!!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
best small car economical and reliable - expat
I have had a Mazda 323 for 6 years now. Great car. For someone looking for something smaller than a Vectra it fits the bill without being so much smaller as to be a bit of a shock to the system. The 323 has a reasonable amount of rear legroom and a decent size boot. In addition the roof line is more like a station wagon than the usual hatchback resulting in a useful increase in space.