Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Dave_TD
Hi all, long time no post but I've been rushed off my feet (well, wheels) with work over the last year or so.

Anyway, we are in the process of costing out a 2-year contract to take a piece of medical equipment from Milton Keynes to Glasgow every night, 5 nights a week and bring a similar one back. These units weigh 25kg and are very delicate, needing to be bolted into a special permanently vehicle-mounted cradle for the journey. The customer has tried conventional overnight parcel services with unsatisfactory results, and would prefer to pay a premium for a 100% reliable service.

We are looking to source a brand new vehicle for the job, either a small van or a car, as the cradle could be mounted in either. The main things we are looking for are economy, range, reliability and driver comfort. Depreciation isn't a major concern as the vehicle will be covering 800 miles a day, ie 200,000 miles in a year, so we know how little it will be worth at the end of it. Using good quality oils and parts we intend to service it every other Saturday, ie every 8,000 miles. Performance, too, isn't everything as long as it can keep up with the flow of motorway traffic.

We would be looking at the van versions (ie 3-door hatchbacks minus seats and rear side windows) of the Fiesta, Punto and 206, the old-shape Astravan (now built in SA), also at cars such as the Fabia and Octavia, and maybe a last-of-old-shape Focus or Astra. Should we try to run something for two years or change it after one? Which vehicles would give us the best real-world mpg figures at 70-80mph? Can anybody suggest any other vehicles which might fit the bill? All comments appreciated.

Dave.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Altea Ego
SWB Transit connect, very comfy

Volkswagen caddy (may be some old shape ones about - very cheap) the newer one is very comfy too,

Advantage of both - they are both availble in diesel NON turbo versions
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - No Do$h
The ubiquitous mini-cab (round our way at least) is the Octavia SDi. Again, it's non turbo, seems very hard wearing, offers decent mpg at sensible motorway speeds and is very comfortable. Parts easy to come by too. Given the distances being driven perhaps this, rather than a Fabia, would be better suited. More of a market for a stratospehric mileage Octavia than for a Fabia, again with the minicab market in mind when it comes to disposal.

Really nice to see you back on here DTD.

Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - cheddar
Advantage of both - they are both availble in diesel NON
turbo versions

Why non-turbo, no more economical, slower, no likelyhood of being more reliable under such conditions?
"Why non-turbo, no more economical,"

Probably would be

"slower"

yes but then its motorway work so accelearation is no issue

"no likelyhood of being more reliable under such conditions?"

could be

"Why non-turbo, no more economical,"
Probably would be

Less economical if anything, less torque meaning more rowing of the gear box etc.
"slower"
yes but then its motorway work so accelearation is no issue

>>

As per above much better when the traffic slows to be able to put your foot down and keep up rather than row the gear box and rev the guts out.
"no likelyhood of being more reliable under such conditions?"
could be

As per above rowing the gear box etc = more wear and tear.

Sorry? where is all this gearbox rowing coming from on 800 miles of motorway a day?
Sorry? where is all this gearbox rowing coming from on 800
miles of motorway a day?

>>

Reckon you can do 80mph all the way from MK to Glasgow and back, no jams, no road works, no stops?
Of course not, but you have to accept that 800 miles of motorway a day (and at least half will probably be at night) means that clutch and gearbox wear is the least of your worries.
Of course not, but you have to accept that 800 miles
of motorway a day (and at least half will probably be
at night) means that clutch and gearbox wear is the least
of your worries.

Yes though more so with a nice torquey TD.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Mapmaker
Oh come off it. Modern clutches & manual gearboxes don't wear out! Certainly not within 150k miles of 'normal' use over a decade.

Who last changed a clutch on a modern car?
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Rishab C
I would have thought a larger car such as a Volvo or Renault Vel Satis would be nicer for the driver, and give a good ride.
What the hell is this thing? Davros?
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - GreatestDancer
I'm sure you already know this but for a disel car / van you're looking at an extra £500 a year in fuel savings for every ONE mpg difference...

So I would have though that going for the most comfortable, efficient diesel would be a good idea perhaps.

How about a Citroen C3 1.4 HDI 16v SX? Nice powerful engine and a quoted 64mpg on the combined cycle is pretty good....

Or perhaps a Skoda Fabia VRS - slightly lower quoted mpg but with a 6 speed box it does 70mph at 1800 rpm so you may get a better high speed mpg than the C3... Not much in the way of driver comforts though or soft ride for the dalek in the back...

How about a Volvo V50? Not bad mpg but very comfortable interior for the driver....

Rich
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - DavidHM
Assuming it meets the requirements for space, my money would be on a Micra dCi, as it's likely to be more reliable than the equivalent Clio, with which it shares an engine, but built to Nissan standards, while still returning close to 70 mpg.

Price from about £8k, although the 82 bhp version is slightly more economical but about £1,500 more expensive.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - C82N
I am slightly biased because I have one myself, but I think that the best car for a combination of economy and real world MPG at speed has got to be an old shape Astra 1.7DTI ECO4. I have the version and use it for regular journeys from Sussex to Newcastle and at 80-85mph it returns 65MPG brim to brim calculations. The ECO4 version is basically set up for high speed motorway cruising. It has higher gearing than the standard version and as a result it is only doing 2600RPM at 80mph as opposed to over 3000rpm. This makes it very relaxing to drive as it is pretty much silent at these speeds. They also lowered the suspension and did a few other mods to give it better economy at speed.

It has a reliable Isuzu engine, which although is no ball of fire it is quite capable of keeping up with the traffic - much better than its 75hp would suggest. It is not as quiet or smooth at low speeds as a pug/citreon HDI, but its ok at speed. I would also put money on it being a lot cheaper to fix if things went wrong. I am still not convinced of the durability of common rail fuel systems.

However I think that this version only comes as a hatchback which could be a disadvantage if you are loading and unloading delicate items.

If you get a van then bear in mind that you would want a full height bulkhead and to plyline the back so as to reduce noise levels. Without this there is a hell of lot of road noise in my experience.

I would also go for an engine with a turbo rather than a naturally aspirated engine. This is due to the fact that turbo diesels are normally geared much higher due to the increased torque that they produce. This will translate into much better MPG figures at motorway speeds. I can't see a turbo giving any trouble with the sort of use and maintenance schedule that you describe.
Is there any benefit WHATSOEVER in servicing every 8k miles, rather than 12k miles? If that's another 8 services a year at £50 per shot, that's a lorra cash!

You're looking at 4 new cambelts over that period as well.

Probably scarcely any new tyres or brake discs, though.

That new Vauxhall Van (it's name excapes me for a moment) is supposed to do nearly 800 miles on a tank of fuel.

Just a thought, but 200k miles in a year... cannnot you get somebody to sponsor you for this? Anybody else ever done this sort of mileage? This must be the ideal opportunity to get something approaching a million miles out of a vehicle.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - artful dodger {P}
>Just a thought, but 200k miles in a year... cannnot you get somebody to sponsor you for this? Anybody else ever done this sort of mileage? This must be the ideal opportunity to get something approaching a million miles out of a vehicle.

One of the major manufacturers might be interested as they do have road test vehicles doing set routes to test compnents. I used to know someone who drove a Transit 5 days a week over exactly the same route to test new engine components. So it may be possible for some sponsorship.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Nickdm
As posted earlier in the thread, VAG group do a 1.9SDI (non-turbo) diesel which should be available in a range of VWs, Seats (?) and Skodas.

I put 25000 miles on a Polo SDI up and down the M40 over 7 months last year - 50mpg and 90+ mph cruising was easily achievable. Variable servicing intervals - if you trust 'em - meant that it didn't cost me a penny in servicing during this time either (25k miles service intervals).
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - borasport20
Nothing constructive to add, but nice to see you still around Dave !

and here's me, just noticed that in two years, I've put 24'000 on my Octavia....

Got a 2001 "X" Fiesta 1.8td van at work, still going strong at 185k miles.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Kevin
Welcome back Dtd,

I think my choice would be one of the Citroens. Comfortable, very good discounts at the moment and likely to be very reliable with your useage pattern.

A service every 8k is overkill and a waste of money. Once the engine is bedded-in and with an occassional run to the red line it should be good for at least 20k between changes.

Kevin...
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Avant
I'd go for the Skoda Fabia estate TDI - lighter (so more economical with the same 1.9 engine) than the Octavia, and plenty of room for the cradle if it would fit in a Fiesta.

It's a long boring journey and the drivers are only human - a bit of oomph is needed to pick up speed when slowed by other traffic, and to keep going up motorway inclines.

I agree with the comments about diesel being preferable - less stressed at motorway speeds as well as being economical.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Hawesy1982
I was in an Octavia Estate TDi (the 105bhp i think) minicab the other day which had covered 198k on an 02 plate, and looked to be in excellent nick both internally and externally - if i hadn't known i was in a cab or been able to see the odometer i'd have believed it if the driver had told me it had done just 20k.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - MichaelR
All the people suggesting Micras and Fiestas - lets just remind ourselves on thing.

This car is doing 4000 miles a WEEK. Somebody has to drive that. Would you really want to do that sort of Motorway mileage in a Nissan Micra? You want a car designed for massive motorway mileages and not for bimbling around town if you want your employees not to quit with stress.

Something Mondeo sized - with the comforts, space and stability/comfort at speed to make a journey like this more pleasant.

Yes, it'll cost more but its cheaper than hiring new staff every 5 minutes becuase London to Glasgow and back, frequently, in a Micra, is NOT my idea of fun.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Frogeye
How true. I have an 02 Pug 406Hdi estate and SWMBO has an 04 Polo 1.2. Both will cruise at 70-80mph, probably use similar amounts of fuel but the Polo needs far more concerntration to drive compared with the 406, which just wafts along the chosen route. Yes, they will both get you there but I know which car I would chose to drive the next night and the next.....
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - P 2501
Got to agree with that sentiment. 4000 a week in a fiesta would drive me mental.

I think with the amount of motorway miles being done, 15-20k oil changes would be about right.

Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Cliff Pope
Nobody has costed in the driver time, which must be considerable.
Why not send by air courier?
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Air freight almost certainly wouldn't meet the "delicate handling" requirement referred to in the original post IMHO!
Can see a "What's the best route from MK to Glasgow" thread coming soon ....
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - The Gingerous One

I have had the same experience in the old-shape (N - Y reg ?) E-class Mercs. Used by a taxi firm for the airport/London runs in the SE and it amazed me how one day I'd be in a 3 week old 8000 miler (just as the S plate had come out I seem to recall) and then the next week there'd be an 18month old one with 150k+ miles on and they all felt the same. Again, the mega-miler one felt like it had done 20k.

The taxi firm concerned used to run them for 2 years/200k and serviced them to their own schedules and threw Mercs' recommendations out of the window.

I'd be tempted by an E - class for this and it will still be worth 'something' once the 2 years is up.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Stuartli
There used to be (may well still be) a taxi firm in Nottingham who used to advertise for Mercedes diesel models that had done up to 100k.

They paid proper prices for the cars that were offered because they knew that both the vehicle and the engine were good for many, many more miles providing they were properly serviced.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Ex-Moderator
>>Hi all, long time no post

Hi. Welcome back, its certainly been a while.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - local yokel
Everyone seems to be assuming that it's got to be a new vehicle - how do the calculations look (I'm assuming you've drawn up a speadsheet with all the variables) if you source s/h vehicles and run them for a shorter period, say six months, for example? You might find an Octavia diesel was even more compelling on this basis.

On a similar vein a Merc with history could handle that mileage very easily, and a C series diesel might give more driver comfort?

Nobody has mentioned how old the vehicle should be at the start.

Given it's going to be worth nothing very much at the end of your 2 year contract, then I'd suggest starting out with a 1 year old car to begin with.

Also, something with a chain-driven cam will save you 4 cambelt changes.

I think you should look carefully at the servicing costs as those have the capacity to be a killer over this sort of mileage.

Your non-turbo diesel will eat fewer tyres.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - BazzaBear {P}
I agree with this. You knwo that, due to the huge mileage, you're going to take basically a 100% depreciation hit, so why pay the premium to get a brand new car in the first place?
By going maybe a year old, you're straight away going to save yourself a couple of grand or more.
I'd also echo the suggestion of something of at least middling size. On top of that, you can pretty much ignore the combined mpg, just look at the high speed figure.

Regarding those suggesting that 4 cambelt changes will be needed, is this necessarily so? The figures quoted for each car for this change would take into account an expected age as well as mileage. I would expect that 50k done in 3 months (especially as motorway miles) would cause a lot less wear to a cambelt than 50k done over 4 years.
Mind you, I wouldn't like to be the one to decide exactly how long to leave it...
Cam-chain is a good idea still. What about a Primera? I believe several of the engines fitted to those are chain driven, you've got Japanese reliability, plus their suspension set up definitely errs on the side of 'comfort' which will help the driver and dalek both.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - chris_w
It would be useful to understand the budget range you're looking at.

Been in many a Merc in Spain / Portugal with 400k+ kms on the clock, the ride and comfort has not been lost in any of them.

Failing that, I'd think about something Japanese purely from the reliability perspective. Nearly all the taxi drivers round our way drive a Toyota Avensis.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - trancer
"Also, something with a chain-driven cam will save you 4 cambelt changes."

Thats what I would be thinking, the cost of 4 cambelt changes could easily top £1,000. Mondeo is the obvious chain-cam diesel choice but some complain of seat comfort, so what other medium-large chain cam diesel cars are out there?.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Blue {P}
If you can get a Ghia spec Mondeo through Ford Direct or something then that has to be worth a look, comfortable and economical, and the Ghia has a softer suspension than Zetec etc. so would be better suited to your cargo. The seats are much better than the rest of the range, I would be suprised if anyone found them uncomfortable. Get the 6 speed TDCi 130.

Get an estate version and then you're really sorted.

I would definately echo the idea of buying at a year old. Obviously warranty isn't an issue as unless you spend a fair amount on servicing in the first few months the warranty will be invalid anyway after you've covered your first 15,000 miles.

Thinking about the huge costs involved in this I would say it's definately worth doing a bit of scouting amongst manufacturers to see if anyone would be interested in some kind of sponsorship. Obviously that means that you would be required to be involved with some sort of magazine article or other so that they cna get some free publicity from the whole thing, but probably worth it.

Blue
Oh, and forgot to add, I would forget the idea of a small van based vehicle, they are not really suited to driving like this, the 206 is an awfully uncomfortable car at the best of times, never mind as a van, and I know the Fiesta has no lumbar support either.

Blue
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - bimmer-driver
As Chris W says, a diesel Toyotoa Corolla estate or Avensis estate would surely be an obvious choice?
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - tr7v8
Did start looking at a Chrysler PT Cruiser a little while ago. According to the dealer the 60K/3Yr warranty can be extended to unlimited mileage 4 years for under £500. NOt bad to drive in diesel form and cheap to buy. That would mean your warranty would cover it for all of the contract....

Jim
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Xileno {P}
I would have thought depreciation is irrelevant since this cost will be included in your contract bid.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - GreatestDancer
I would have thought depreciation is irrelevant since this cost will
be included in your contract bid.

Great, order a Bentley then!

Seriously, I would have thought if it's a competitive tender process then depreciation should be a factor as you need to work out your costings and then add a margin to hopefully come up with a competitive quote...

Rich
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Mudguts
The idea of sponsorship is a good one. Try www.autoboards.co.uk.

If you can't get any sponsorship but think the idea of a liveried car is good, just get the Mondeo estate and paint it up like the Ghostbusters ambulance, give the driver a uniform and within weeks (as you are doing the same run each night) the whole operation and vehicle will be more famous than any Eddie Stobart lorry.

P.S the web page for their fan club(and music) is at: users.aol.com/venkie/rgb/rgb.htm

Also, what about an LPG car, Volvo S60 Dualfuel or a conversion

If you want to get ahead - get a Van!
I'd have thought that this would be just the thing for HJ's profile in the Telegraph. 'Hi I'm Dave & I do 200k miles per annum. What do you recommend?' 'Hey, will anybody sponsor me?'
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - blue_haddock
I think that a car such as micra, yaris etc will be too small for this kind of usage and that whilst it may be slightly more comfortable to go for something like a mondeo or avensis the extra cost in fuel terms for dragging the extra bulk will be quite costly.

Someone has already calculated that for every extra 1MPG they do they will save £500 per year and so a mondeo sized car getting 45mpg will work out a lot more expensive than a slightly smaller car doing 65 or 70mpg.

My recommendation would be one of the smaller diesel engines in a car the size of a corolla or C3. Both of these have nippy 1.4 turbo diesel engines and you should be able to get 65mpg out of them easily on a good run.

As for the sponsorship one possible place to enquire would be with the M6 Toll - it would make things quicker to use it and if you could save the cash it would be another considerable saving. They already advertised on the back of i think James Irlam lorries so they may be interested in you.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Happy Blue!
M6 toll - that's a good idea BH.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
How about contacting Honda and seeing if they'd like to sponsor their super economic and low emmisions 'Insight' for a 2 year test.

It claims to be the most fuel efficient car on the market - I'm sure Honda would love to prove it...

I have no experience of this car though, and know it only has 75 horses (albeit a decent amount of torque) but it could turn out to be the cheapest of the bunch to run, although not to buy.

Do we know how big the equipment and contraption to transport it is, if so would this have enough room / suitable access?
Why thank you!

And whilst i'm on a roll why not approach someone like BP or Esso as well?
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - arnold2
Diesel
6 Speed Box

Comfort depends on what you find nice to sit in, but the Mondeo seems a bit hit & miss in that regard (www.car-seat-data.co.uk/xlcardata.htm), "serious layout problems, retrograde step!"; whereas the Golf/Bora & Passat fair well...
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Mudguts
I would actually go so far as to approach manufacturers (of cars and fuel) for this, they can only say no and may even be able to offer support by way of parts, fluids, etc.

This may be something that other bidders for this contract may not do. The wider you make your search for assistance in running costs the better.

If someone can make the claim that their vehicle / lubricant / filter can do 200k it's well worth their while.
If you want to get ahead - get a Van!
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - expat
Why look at diesel when LPG is half the price? I believe that Volvo and Ford make dedicated LPG vehicles and with that mileage you would be saving a great deal.
I was just thinking that this must be one expensive piece of kit.

Some quick figures for the fuel alone (based on diesel at 90p / litre) show that at 45mpg it is going to cost about £35k in fuel or 60mpg is £26k. Add to that the cost of insurance, wages, repairs/maintenance and lastly a profit margin, it must be some pretty special equipment!
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - spinner
"we are in the process of costing out a 2-year contract to take a piece of medical equipment from Milton Keynes to Glasgow every night, 5 nights a week and bring a similar one back. These units weigh 25kg and are very delicate, needing to be bolted into a special permanently vehicle-mounted cradle for the journey. The customer has tried conventional overnight parcel services with unsatisfactory results, and would prefer to pay a premium for a 100% reliable service."

Don't know if anyone mentioned it but if it is a high-spec piece of equipment, that will develop problems if it is jarred by hitting uneven road surfaces, then you should be looking at something bigger with good suspension/damping and a longish wheelbase.

This would suggest something along the lines of a good diesel estate car, and not a small car.

So anything from Mondeo/Passat/Accord/Octavia/C5 estates.

>>it must be some pretty special equipment!

The thought had occurred to me - otherwise why not get two !

I cannot see the point of a new car. Even a 3 month old car, which will be virtually untouched when considering the life it is about to live, would be significantly cheaper.

Also, the car itself is likely to represent a fairly small percentage of the total service cost, so one probably doesn't need to be too economical about which car to buy, certainly not at the expense of any functionality or quality. And clearly its capital cost is much less significant than ongoing operational costs - so fuel economy is essential, cost of servicing, cost of maintenance and repair are much more important than the cost of the vehicle.

You're as likely to save more money by working out where is the best place to buy fuel.

Also, given that I suspect that reliability is paramount, you might be better off considering two cheaper vehicles which alternate travel nights. Less wear and tear and an immediate backup if something goes wrong with one of them.

If you are travelling back to base and know that there is something wrong with the vehicle, you have 12 hours to fix it. As opposed to a minimum of 36 hours if there are two vehicles and a maximum of a lot if the other vehicle can handle the load for a time.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Maz
Your post has also prompted me from BR retirement, Dave. An excellent, if thorny problem.

Go for a low mileage Astra ECO4 from a main dealer for around £8,500. Vauxhall quote 80mpg. Servicing is cheap and the unit is reliable. Add an unlimited mileage warranty at £395 pa.

Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - nick
Your post has also prompted me from BR retirement, Dave. An
excellent, if thorny problem.
Go for a low mileage Astra ECO4 from a main dealer
for around £8,500. Vauxhall quote 80mpg. Servicing is cheap and the
unit is reliable. Add an unlimited mileage warranty at £395 pa.

Do warranties include commercial use like this?
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - andymc {P}
Depreciation isn't an issue as the mileage will kill the value. However, low initial cost obviously desirable.
Wear & tear likewise not an issue - clutch, brakes and engine should all last that distance as they're not being put under severe strain/usage on a constant basis.
Reliable diesel engine for economy, chain cam preferable.
Comfortable cruiser.

What about a Rover 75 CDTi in Connoisseur SE trim? Won't now cost a lot to buy, certainly meets the above criteria. Same engine as BMW 320d, so servicing not an issue. Even in CDTi guise, this engine only produces 135 bhp, as opposed to the 150 bhp of the 3 Series (or have BMW upped it by now?), so it won't be running to the limits of its endurance.

In fact, if you do buy one and use it for this, I will take it off your hands afterwards!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Wow, I can?t believe so many people have replied and given this so much thought! I can?t possibly respond to every point raised here, so I?ll try and cover the main ones. Oh, and hello to all the old BackRoomers who remember me :-)

We put the tender for the MK-Glasgow job in today. We plan on using a pre-registered delivery mileage old shape Octavia TDi 90 (the SDi engine went out of production a year or so ago) to be bought from the suppliers we use for new taxis.
The Octavia is a known quantity, I did 260k miles in mine in 3 years with the only major failure being the gearbox at 201k. Even with 50% of my driving being in town the clutch lasted 175k miles, and in every respect the car appeared to have the wear and tear of one with a third of the recorded mileage, as borne out by some of the comments above.

We are certain to go for an unused vehicle, as a 6-month old ex-demo car could theoretically have had a very hard 6,000 miles and therefore a greatly reduced life expectancy, so that?s one risk we?re not prepared to take.

Not too sure about chasing any kind of sponsorship, I mean some of the national courier firms cover this kind of annual mileage in Sprinters, Berlingos and so on by double-shifting them and working them 24 hours a day out of large depots without any fuss. And the potential for egg-on-face could be quite large if anything were to go wrong, generally these kind of jobs are usually best tackled discreetly and simply.

We would work around any major breakdown / accident damage by borrowing one of the company taxis for the night (it would an overnight journey), even a car with 200k+ on the clock can withstand an 800-mile blast now and again.

Thanks once again for all your suggestions and reasoning, if I?ve missed any points I apologise but these 18-hour days do that to you. A nice little contract of 5 consecutive 15-hour shifts and the weekends off could be just what I need?.

Dave.
Good choice Dave. Best of luck with the tender - hope you get it. Let us know!
Dave,

Almost always in these cases small suppliers tend to underprice. Typically its because they tend to under-estimate the need for contingency planning.

The car will break. Repeatedly.
It will get intermittent faults.
It will get punctures.
Stuff will go wrong with it.
Drivers will get sick.
Keys will get lost.
Roads will be closed.
It will snow.
There will be fuel shortages or price increases.
Drivers will leave your company.

etc. etc. etc.

Its a long time since I have done anything even vaguely similar, but we used to typically look at a risk premium of between 15% and 40%. Whether or not those percentages are right for you, I couldn't say, but you should have added a figure on for risk and contingency and probably a substantial one.
Agree with you, Dave, about the sponsorship etc. - but don't forget that you might be able to sell some of the remaining cargo space for similar high value/low weight delivery. You are going past 75% of the UK's major cities - there might be others who would value your regular times/speed etc. Another £50/day would make you £25,000 over the life of the contract!
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - HF
Good grief, what a coincidence! Volvoman and I were only talking about you the other day, DTD!

Good to see you again, hope you'll stay a while,

HF
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Chris M
Did you get the contract?

Chris M
Yes, it starts on the 1st of November :-) And the vehicle?

A pre-registered delivery mileage 05 plate old-shape VW Passat Trendline estate, 1.9TDi PD 130 5 speed manual. Cost £12,150.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - BobbyG
Dave, what happened to getting the Octavia?
The taxi dealers talked us into getting the Passat instead, it seems worth the extra outlay and has lots more creature comforts and a bit more legroom (I'm 6'3") than the Skoda.
Bargain then?
I'd say that you've had about £10,000 worth of management consultancy advice there.

Interesting point you made about buying a brand new one, as you could guarantee that its first 6k miles hadn't been hard. Does the 'running in' period make a difference to the next 400k miles?
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - TimW
Interesting point you made about buying a brand new one, as
you could guarantee that its first 6k miles hadn't been hard.
Does the 'running in' period make a difference to the
next 400k miles?

Most people say not on modern engines, but I personally reckon that's pink fluffy dice - normally told to them by sales people, who are reknowned for their technical knowledge of course.

If I bought a new car I'd still run it in, and not just up to the 'magic' 1000 miles point.
I always tell the customer that the manufacturer says there is no running in period but they should take it easy for the first couple of thousands miles to let everything bed in.

Tim, your continued attempt to avoid the swearfilter, either by deliberately mispelling a word, or replacing the middle letters with characters, stars, dots or anything else has become tiresome. Once more and you're out. DD
Tim, your continued attempt to avoid the swearfilter, either by deliberately
mispelling a word, or replacing the middle letters with characters, stars,
dots or anything else has become tiresome. Once more and you're
out. DD

So why not just edit my post then if it bothers you that much, rather than drawing attention to the fact by replacing my whole post with the above?
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Dynamic Dave
So why not just edit my post then if it bothers
you that much,

Because having to frequently edit your posts to change the swearwords to PFD has become tedious and monotonous. Hence, if I have to edit one more, you're out. You know the rules; abide them like everyone else does.

If you have any further queries regarding how this site is moderated, then take it to email.

DD.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - tawse
I would personally look for a good auto diesel like the Octavia - I would find the auto box a must have doing that mileage and I would have thought you would want a nice big comfortable and safe car for the poor driver doing that mileage. The Octavia estate or hatch would be my choice. If Toyota did an auto diesel then I would suggest the Avensis... but they don't...
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Sprice
Good luck with the contract D-T-D, this has been a thread I've followed with interest, and keep us updated on how it goes!
Indeed good luck.

How many miles do you plan to run the Passat for? I (and one or two other BRers) may be very interested in it when it's time to change it out.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - daveyK_UK
We can establish one thing - u need a diesel.

Secondly and what has been over looked is warranty.

form my knowledge only 3 companys will cover unlimited mileage.

namely, daihatsui, mitsubishi and kia/hyundai.

i would recommend a hyundai elantra 2.0 diesel hatch.

5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

i got just over 50mpg after it had done 15,000 mile run in.

comfortable - easily do 95mph

think about it - you wont have to spend a penny on reapirs or parts as it wont go out of warranty!
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - DavidHM
Sadly not Davey - from the Hyundai website:

*The 5 year unlimited mileage warranty is not available on vehicles used for hire, reward or commercial use. Refer to sections below for full warranty terms and conditions.

In any case, all manufacturers offer a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty, at least to private customers, and quite possibly in year two as well - I can't remember the wording of the EU legislation off the top of my head - whether it applies for two years, unlimited (I think it does) and whether it applies for businesses as well as consumers (not sure).
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - CJay{P}
form my knowledge only 3 companys will cover unlimited mileage.
namely, daihatsui, mitsubishi and kia/hyundai.

You will have to add BMW to that list.....
This seems to give the lie to some BRers who consider that VAG products are unreliable or have a variety of faults....:-)
I (and one or two other BRers) may be very interested in it when it's time to change it out.>>

This is what my post:

"This seems to give the lie to some BRers who consider that VAG products are unreliable or have a variety of faults....:-)"

referred to, but which has got split up by more recent postings.
I think the problem with more recent VW's is people compare them with VW's from yesteryear, where 'if only everything in life was as reliable as a VW' was their slogan.

Relatively speaking, there has been a fall from grace with VW, and people can only compare them with the reliable products they enjoyed in the 80's etc! Hopefully they will address this as they make some great good-looking cars, with fab diesel engines.

It does seem odd however that cars from the VW stable such as Skoda enjoy high reliability and satisfaction scores compared to the VW parent!

Stuartli, you probably already know, but the Jetta name is being revived in Europe for the saloon-based Golfs.
the Jetta name is being revived in Europe for the saloon-based Golfs.>>

That's true, although in the States and South Africa it never disappeared.

By the way the current Bora isn't based as much on the Golf as the Jettas that preceded it and the new one will rely even less apparently.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Baskerville
The Bora name has always puzzled me. Even on the VW ads it was pronounced like some kind of comment on the car's handling. Maybe it doesn't have those associations in other languages, but I suspect that's the reason it remained Jetta in the US.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - AngryJonny
Plenty of VWs have suspect names in the UK. Bora, Sharon, Toerag etc etc

Oh my, are we going off topic?
----
Life is complex; it has real and imaginary parts.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - rtj70
The Bora, Vento and Jetta are all named after winds apparently. But they stuck with Jetta in the States because they prefer booted cars - Jetta always did well there.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Falkirk Bairn
Assuming the size of the box is not huge the answer is called the overnight train.

Get your driver to sit on the train 25 kilos is not that heavy and can go as hand luggage!!

I am sure a season ticket on the train will be cheaper than writing off a van per year and £100 /day on diesel and wiull be more reliable than driving through winter snow & ice in the Lake District/ Southern Uplands.
Strikes me as being a bit impractical. How do you get it from its departure point to the station and from the other station to its destination? Lots of changing trains, getting on buses(!) and carrying around means that at some point this piece of delicate equipment is going to get bashed and damaged. If the owners of the box are prepared to spend that sort of money transporting it around the country it's presumably a *very* expensive and *very* delicate bit of kit. I'd like to see the look on their faces when you told them it'd go by bus to Milton Keynes station, train to Glasgow and then another two buses to the hospital. And 25kg might be a liftable weight but it's a lot to carry any distance. My mum is about 25kg and I wouldn't want to carry her to Glasgow.
----
Train being impractical
The solution called a taxi at either end -
I assumed the box was 25 kilos and not bulky
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - smokie
I'm sure someone had already thought of sending it by train and discounted it, for whatever reason.
I am not suggesting sending it by train as freight

I am suggesting it is carried on and off the train by a courier employed by the Taxi firm. i.e The Van / Taxi driver would let the train take the strain.

That's 4 taxi journeys per day. I can't work out whether you're being serious here.

For me to get home from central London costs about 30 quid in a taxi if I miss the last tube (to zone 3). Let's say each journey is half that in this circumstance. That's 60 quid a day in taxi fares - as opposed to 80 quid in diesel (assuming 40mpg). And the taxi won't have a dedicated holder for this box fitted either.

Now my season ticket from Twyford to Ealing was 2000 quid in 1999 - probably 2500 by now at a guess. That's for about 30 miles. And I never got a seat. To get a guaranteed seat on a MK - Glasgow train every day (400 miles) - I dread to think what that'd come to. I'd guess it'd be a lot more than the 12150 that the car cost. Maybe you'd need another seat for the box - maybe it could rattle around on the rack.

Even so... I can't see a considerable saving here. It could even cost more depending on the times of travel, but I'd be interested to find out how much you have to pay someone to carry a 25kg box on two 400 miles train journeys and four taxi rides every day - a lot more than you'd have to pay a driver I'd imagine. And you'd have a much greater risk of your box being broken.
----
There is a direct train service from Milton Keynes to Glasgow with no changes - at 4hrs 30 mins each way you could not drive it except in exceptional circumstances. Leave MK @ 10am and be back 11 pm - 13 hour day but no strain on the train
This is all after the fact. Dave bought the Passat! - Don't you lot read the posts above. No point arguing now about the best way - he's gone and spent £12 large and good luck to him.

I know that after two years, there will be a probably very clean, and well run-in Passat for sale for little money! Form an orderly queue!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Perhaps I should rephrase that slightly...

You'd have to pay *me* more to do it by train than in the car.

I'm sure the train would be faster but it would (in my mind) be much more hassle - letting the train take the strain is fine as long as you need to get from one station to another and you want to do it at the time the trains run. This is apparently an overnight job.

Actually... I'd go even further. I'd probably prefer to take the train than to drive something like a Vauxhall Nova up there... but I'd pick a nice Passat over the train every time.

(That's a nice Passat with specially constructed housing to keep the important piece of medical equipment from rattling around as it would in, say, a train luggage rack)
----
>>My mum is about 25kg and I wouldn't want to carry her to Glasgow.>>

Your mother must be quite tiny - just like our Sheltie, whose around 6kg soaking wet after a walk in the rain.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Vansboy
& how many of us Broomers fancy the stand in job, for when Dave wants a day off?

Bet there's a q for this, as well as buying the car, when it's done its job!

VB
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Xileno {P}
Why would there be a queue for a car that's done 200K in a year?
They're 200,000 easy miles on a nice car that's been well serviced (once a fortnight!) and will be very cheap as a result of the mileage.
----
You see plenty on ebay with 200k + miles, but they get plenty of bids!
Does this have the long-life service system? If so will you be making any use of it.

I suppose this kind of motoring is what long-life was designed for, although I'm not sure if I would want to experiment with long-life if I knew I would be taking the car to high mileage.

Bet the synthetic oil won't be cheap, definately doing a bulk buy will be worth the hassle.

Blue
Does this have the long-life service system? If so will you be making any use of it?

Yes, and yes. Up to 30,000 mile intervals apparently, although I will immediately throw it out of kilter by servicing it after the first week's work, just to be on the safe side.

As an aside, I will wait and see how much warning the Passat gives me of an impending service (Skodas start counting down from 1,000 miles, Pug 406s from 12,000 miles) before I decide whether to leave it up to the car to decide the intervals, after all it could potentially flag up the requirement at the start of the week and end up running 3,000 miles over before it gets done.

I ran in my Y-reg Octavia gradually over its first 5,000 miles and that car has now done 330,000 miles (the most recent 70,000 in the hands of various less-than-sympathetic drivers) and the engine is still bullet-proof, having needed no repair work whatsoever.

Dave.
>>and the engine is still bullet-proof, having needed no repair work whatsoever.>>

That will upset those who think that VAG products are not as reliable as claimed...:-)
"I ran in my Y-reg Octavia gradually over its first 5,000 miles and that car has now done 330,000 miles (the most recent 70,000 in the hands of various less-than-sympathetic drivers) and the engine is still bullet-proof, having needed no repair work whatsoever."

I'm sure these facts are connected. I think running in makes more difference to reliability and engine life that it's sometimed given credit for.

Renaults are much maligned, but the seven in a row that I had never used a drop of oil: three of them did over 100,000 miles. All were run in according to instructions. HJ has some excellent advice on running in diesels, and this has worked for me with the current Audi and previous VW.

I know that buying new may not be the sensible thing to do from a financial point of view, but it does mean you can guarantee that the car gets run in properly.

Apologies if the above sounds old-fashioned - but then I was always square.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - JohnM{P}
Buying new also means that you know that it's not been run without checking the oil until the oil light comes on and that, in the case of diesels, it's not been driven after a misfill of petrol...
>>although I will immediately throw it out of kilter by servicing it after the first week's work, just to be on the safe side.
>>

Dave,

surely you should actually keep the factory fill oil in until the service light tells you, as that helps the bedding in process? After that you can do what you like....
--
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - mss1tw
Searching for some oil info and found this, how's the project going?
Bringing this thread back to life in the unlikely event that DTD is around and can update on his expereince with the car.

DTD - where are you?
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Statistical outlier
"DTD - where are you?"

On the M6 I'd imagine, possibly still the M74 given the time of day. :-)
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - mss1tw
One of the mods should e-mail him.
Ideal vehicle for 200k miles in a year? - Caveman
One of the mods should e-mail him.

Can they do that from their scooters? (motoring link)