M4 madness - Michael Thomas
First commute back after Christmas and I think most some motorists have left their common sense in 2001.

From J8/9 all the way to J4, it was blocked by middle lane drivers. I lost count of the number of cars undertaking. It was amazing there wasn't an accident as I saw at least one car attempt to pull in only to almost take out the undertaking car.

As usual, I assumed the safest place to be is the 'fast' lane. Wrong !!! It was choked with cars trying to do the same as me. As a result the middle lane drivers were undertaking those cars.

There was a point when I was totally stuck at 50mph with cars in the middle lane doing 55.

It is very frustrating when clearly some people do not know how to use a motorway. When are we going to get the Police to crack down on this kind of behaviour.

As if it couldn't get any worse, some motorists were trying to queue jump the slip for the M25, this meant that they were stationary cars in the 'slow' lane indicating to cut in!

It beggars belief.
Re: M4 madness - SteveS
The difference in the "standard or style" of driving on roads in general between working days and holidays never fails to amaze me!
Re: M4 madness - Steve G
Motorway driving is always like that in the UK.
Coming down the M3 today some guy in BMW decides to remain in the 'fast lane' at 65 MPH with cars building up behind him flashing thier lights he seemed totally ignorant about the way he was driving. So everybody started to drive in a aggresive manner by undertaking him.
Basically people are to lazy to drive thoughtfully , it does'nt require much effort to look way ahead and plan your overtaking ,adjust your speed to the traffic flow but so many people cant be bothered. They remain in the middle lane at 60 MPH forcing other drivers to use the fast lane all the time and the results are what you describe ... madness.
Re: M4 madness - T lucas
With all the donkeys on the mways i allways seem to be 'undertaking',even done it to plod without getting nicked,i just think it keeps the traffic flowing when the nobbers in procession in lane 3 will not move over.
Re: M4 madness - Andrew T
Fascinating post, this. Most people saying in all sorts of ways how *most* other drivers are selfish nincompoops. When this feeling reaches a certain intensity a few drivers begin to try to control the rest - maybe by doing 65 in the fast lane ? I get brassed off by trucks who deliberately block two lanes for this purpose. Luckily I can avoid Mways for much of my driving !
Re: M4 madness - Bill Doodson
Michael,

This is my pet hate; I have made several posts about lane hogging here before. This morning on the new section of the M60 clockwise around Manchester there were no cars in lanes one and two a couple in lane three and then more in lane four. At this section there must be a couple of miles of 4 lane. I'm afraid I was guilty of using lane 1. There wasn't much traffic to be honest at 06:45, but still these people persist in staying over to the right doing about 60. When I go past in lane one they are probably calling me all the names under the sun, but sod them if they cant by courteous why the hell should I bother being courteous to them. The worst ones are the ones who move over if you flash them and then pull out when you have gone past.

Bill
Re: M4 madness - crazed idiot
i) the inside lane of that stretch of the m4 has a v bad road surface, especially in the frost, and you will get tramlined down the ruts in the road - blame the authrorities for not fixing this - and causing rational drivers to avoid that lane

ii) try driving down the inside lane in heavy traffic and see how badly people pull onto the motorway causing you allsorts of probs

iii) middle lane driving is often a reaction to i) and ii)
Re: M4 madness - Paul
Really can't see any problem in changing legislation to permit safe and well judged undertaking. I'm told it works well in the states, and once people get used to the concept it might actually increase safety, as you'll have to be aware of what's going on behing you as well as ahead.
Re: M4 madness - Phil P
Paul, it may work in the 'states were traffic runs at a leisurely 55 or poss 65 mph. In britain the Mways run at 80 to 90 mph in light to moderate traffic. Can you imagine being stuck in lane 2 trying to get to the inside lane for an upcoming exit with cars flying by at 85? The GB system would work fine if only people would follow the rules.
Re: M4 madness - Michael Thomas
I use the road every working day and after the M4 melted a few years ago, the surface is largely A1, certainly no ruts.
Re: M4 madness - crazed idiot
suggest you drive down the inside lane and pay attention, ruts are definitely there!
Re: M4 madness - John
Here's some more

Both M4 Both new years eve

1. BMW 3 series 60mph in lane 2 no traffic either side for about a quarter of a mile-oh yes had main beam on (all the time on lit section)

2. Followed by a Focus complete with dark red coloured space saver wheel on front offside-followed me at 80+ for some time....

Beat that!!

:0)
Re: M4 madness - THe Growler
I agree, it's obvious. So is being able to make a turn on a red light provided the road is clear.
Re: M4 madness - Honest John
If Michael was "stuck" in the outside overtaking lane at 50 while cars in the central overtaking lane were undertaking him at 55, then Michael was driving in the wrong lane and ought to read The Highway Code before he criticises other drivers.

HJ