Rover Handset - John
I have just been charged £117.50p for a replacement handset to open/lock the doors on my 1996 Rover 416i.
The fitter drove it into the workshop and told me the vehicle had to be connected to a computer to have the handset programmed.
Does anybody know if my original keycode number is still valid with the new handset.
john
Re: Rover Handset - Michael Thomas
You should have a red key that came with the car, that is the basis for reconfiguring the security system.

Having the handset reprogrammed should been done on that basis and as far as I'm aware the security details of that red key should still be valid.
Re: Rover Handset - Alwyn
We were charged £75 for two new Mondeo keys which included the re-coding of the car. (Which probably took less than five minutes)

Mondeo keys cannot be copied by the owners unless they have two keys. Up to 8 copies can be made. I presume each key has the car code and also it's own indivdual number of 1 to 8.

We were told that any previous keys with the old code would no longer function.
Re: Rover Handset - Edgie
Go to www.mg-rover.org and ask Dr Dave, he is their technical guru,, spot on chappy for info..........
Re: Rover Handset - John P
Thanks Edgie
Re: Rover Handset - T.r.y mybest
ref. mondeo key programming ,if you are programming new keys you need a minimum of two keys and the car has to connected to fords wds system for about 20 mins.