Digital Clock - james
I have a 96 Polo Diesel.

The last couple of times I have started it the clock has reset it'self to 00.00 The car starts OK although its a little grudging in the cold weather. Could it be excessive drain on the battery (Still original one)?
Re: Digital Clock - Brian
A clock takes minimal power from the battery. Unless the battery is completely knackered it should run for weeks with no discernable effect.
At over 5 years old the battery is probably starting to feel its age, though, particularly on a diesel where it needs to heat the glow plugs before turning the starter.
Re: Digital Clock - Andy Bairsto
Its sounds more likely that the clock is getting a spike probably due to a diode going down,I thing you will have just learn to live with it.If the battery struggles to start the car then it is possible that it is momently cutting the supply to the clock and thus it goes to 00.00 either way it no great problem.
Re: Digital Clock - John S
James

Classic symptom of an old battery on its last legs. When you start the car the volts drop below the minimum at which the clock will operate. When the volts recover it simply restarts at zero.

The problem will go away when it gets warmer or you replace the battery (whichever comes first).

regards

John