Third Party Warranties 4 Saab/Volvo v70? - Scott#_Lewis
OK -

Looking at getting an Estate, and have £5K to spend. So far - as got a family and a dog so for practicallity, and safety looking at Saab 95 Estate or Volvo v70 - both will have at that money 90K on the clock of there abouts

Both will either be brought privatley or through Auction.

Now, will be wanting to buy a Third Party Warranty, at least 12 months, but have never bought one of these before and was wondering who does the best deal.

Scott
Third Party Warranties 4 Saab/Volvo v70? - David K
Hi Scott,
Approach these warranties with extreme caution! I paid £200 for a 'premium warranty' from 'WarrantyWise'. The brochure indicated that I was well covered for every eventually. I took one out as I had a Saab 9-5 Aero and was concerned that the turbo may fail one day.

When I had to make two seperate claims (one CV joint, the other a replacement auto box) I quickly learnt how slippery these companies can be. In both claims they dragged their feet, insisting on studying the cars service history to try to identify a missed scheduled service to allow them not to pay.

When they couldn't find any problem, they then argued about the choice of garage, the hourly labour rate, the cost of the new part (against their own 'list of prices'), whether the part could be repaired rather than replaced.

Their biggest 'get-out clause' (especially in higher mileage vehicles) is that the failure may be caused by 'fair wear and tear'. When my auto box seized up, their 'engineers report' indicated a failure of an internal component as a result of high mileage (aka wear and tear) and only offered 25% of the £2000 cost. I am still fighting this as I had paid for the premium warranty, with 'full protction'.

Ok, so I'm still up on the deal, however my advice is not to believe you have comprehensive cover for all breakdowns, although you will get a proportion of your loss recovered.
Make sure all your service schedules are up to date, or they won't pay at all, and be prepared to stick out for your choice of garage/part/level of repair etc.

Of course not all warranty companies may be the same.........?

David K

Third Party Warranties 4 Saab/Volvo v70? - Happy Blue!
HJ recommends Warranty Direct as they have no wear and tear clause.

Of the two cars, the Volvo I think will be more reliable.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Third Party Warranties 4 Saab/Volvo v70? - Aprilia
When my father and I ran a garage one of the most frightening sights for us would be a customer coming through the door clutching a warranty booklet.
Invariably the warranty company would not pay out and we would end up as 'piggy in the middle' trying to calm an angry customer. In the end we refused to do any work where the customer wanted to involve a warranty company. The only reason they are sold is that the selling dealer can take a nice commission on them, and if the customer comes back with a problem he can point the customer to the warranty company instead of taking it on the chin himself.

Nowadays you have an implied six-months buyer protection in law from the dealer anyway. I would put the money in a building society - or maybe better still spend it on a good car inspection service to make sure you get a good vehicle in the first place.
Third Party Warranties 4 Saab/Volvo v70? - barney100
Why buy privately when you can get a dealer like PGI to sell you a good Volvo estate with some warranty. I had a 940 from them with 160k on the clock and it went on for three years when I changed it.....I lost only £1500 in depreciation into the bargain and maintainance was not expensive.