Mk3 Golf 2.0 GTI Problem (Electrics?) - ianhowells

I'm having a problem in a Mk3 97 GTI 2.0 Golf whereby the last 3 times I have made a journey in the car the engine dies after about 10 minutes from it's initial start.

It's only 10mins after the initial start that this occurs and after anything from 10 secs to 10 mins after cut out, the ignition key will start the engine again after a retry.

In fact the 2nd time this occurred I topped up the oil thinking that was the issue then preceded to drive from Scotland to London with no further issue only for the same problem to reoccur the day after 10mins or so after driving from cold.

Not knowing a great deal about cars, initially I thought it was oil related as the oil light came on when the car engine died but this may just be a red herring.

Any ideas? I'd like to have a feel for people's thoughts (especially if there's something I can check) so the garage doesn't fleece me!

Thanks
Mk3 Golf 2.0 GTI Problem (Electrics?) - BB
Hi, this doesn't happen when it is raining does it?

First thing that I would do is give it a good old run and use plenty of revs to try and clear it. I would do this several times.

Have you recently had any work done?

It could be HT leads or plugs or even coil pack.

Also try VW additive. Roger Jones will be along in a minute to give the part number..................
Mk3 Golf 2.0 GTI Problem (Electrics?) - tony@tooting
Ignition realays are a common failure on VW's it may be worth replacing it as they are not expensive, or having the ECU code read incase there are any pointers there. If the relay is the cause of the fault, it will not flag a code.

Regards Tony
Mk3 Golf 2.0 GTI Problem (Electrics?) - ianhowells
Hi - No work recently doen that I know of but it is a new purchase

Not restricted to rainy days

I've also had guesses ranging from:
- Auto Choke
- Distributor
- Blocked Fuel Tank Breather

Thnaks for people's help

Ian
Mk3 Golf 2.0 GTI Problem (Electrics?) - A Ferguson
I would try replacing the relay in the fuse box which operates the ECU. I had a similar problem some time ago and through this forum was advised to replace. (See Christmas 04 - Jan/Feb 05) The relay cost approx £11.50 inc VAT so not expensive as Tony from Tooting says.
My car is a 97 Golf Mk3 GTi and the advice also came from someone who had had a similar problem with Mk3.
Good Luck!
Mk3 Golf 2.0 GTI Problem (Electrics?) - Aprilia
I would bet a week's wages that its a relay going south....