VW Polo 1.6CL 1999 T reg - Lmb
My son has been offered the chance to buy a VW Polo 1.6CL T-reg 1999 21,000 miles 5 door hatchback with FSH. next service due end August. MOT expires mid-June. New front tyres fitted at last service. VGC. one lady owner.Price £3,750 (possibly £3,500)

This will be his first car (aged 25) and he is not flush with money! I have read very mixed reviews on the Polo

1. Is this a good car to go for?
2. Is the price reasonable?
3. What should he be aware of - good and bad points?
4. Lastly - I'm concerned about the change of tyres at last service which was probably at about 15k miles. Is this common? - and is this likely to be an ongoing and frequent expense?
5. Are there any really good reliable 2nd hand car makes for around £4k - £5k anyone can recommend eg a Ford focus / Mazda 323F.

Thanks
VW Polo 1.6CL 1999 T reg - MichaelR
This seems very expensive for a 6 year old small car. Even if this is about right for the car - anything with VW on the bonnet seems to command silly money - I would be looking elsewhere. This sort of money would buy a good Focus Focus of the same age or newer - it will be better equipped, better to drive and probably more reliable. And if it does ever need fixing, it'll be cheaper as well.
VW Polo 1.6CL 1999 T reg - chris_w
Don't be seduced by the VW badge!

My housemate just sold her 99 (T Reg) 1.4 CL with 40k on the clock and quite a few extras for £2300. While it was at £2700 on Autotrader she didn't get a single call until she dropped it to £2500.

The car is 6 years old, and has only done 3500 miles a year... firstly ask yourself why this is. 70 miles a week is not a lot and may mean the car has been unused for lengthy periods of time for one of two reasons, it's broke, or the driver never really drove it. Either way, I don't think this is good news, lots of short journeys are not good for a car, neither is being left standing somewhere for weeks at a time.

The other thing is that compared to cars built in the last 3 or 4 years, I found the quality of my friends Polo to be pretty crappy - the plastics look and feel cheap now, the interior was pretty drab and the thing was certainly not the most reliable piece of kit ever. The starter motor went, the alternator needed replacing, 2 exhausts, as well as a number of other little niggles.

Personally I would steer well clear. I'm always suspicous of low mileage older cars (unless its a classic), but that's just me. Parkers put the value of this car at a grand lower - Although with 30k more on the clock.

I'd look at a newer (2001+) Corsa, a Fiesta or maybe a slightly older Focus. All are much better cars from a build perspective IMHO and you'll no doubt be able to find a bargain out there.

Before buying an older one have a look here:

www.gtccar.co.uk/cars/search3.asp?Id=242269

3 years newer (lower spec and smaller engine) but not much difference in price
VW Polo 1.6CL 1999 T reg - wantone
no way is a corsa or fiesta as well built as a polo.acording to the reliability index their not as reliable either?
i know which one i would rather have(polo built like a tank)but i wouldnt pay that kind on money for it thats daft.
quite like fiestas but a corsa,no thank you.
VW Polo 1.6CL 1999 T reg - chris_w
After being driven round in one for 3+ years and having owned a Corsa and driven a Fiesta (the newer ones), they are both IMO better cars compared to a '99 Polo.

The Polo seemed nice when it was new, but now it just feels and looks awful, a face lifted Corsa is a solid piece of kit now, admittedly the older ones are very hit and miss, but I know where my £3.5k would be going, and on a 6 year old VW Polo it wouldn't be.

Again, as many threads have discussed, you're paying for a badge / brand rather than the best available option.

Newer Polos are better than newer Corsas, but that's not what I'm trying to compare.
VW Polo 1.6CL 1999 T reg - bimmer-driver
wantone- It all depends which reliability survey you read- they all vary wildly
VW Polo 1.6CL 1999 T reg - wantone
they must do because all you here about mitsubishis and subarus is how reliable they are and yet their always at the bottom of the reliability index used for the polo comment(top of page)
still believe a polos a better car than the fiesta and corsa though!!
Many thanks for your informative e mail. I had thought the polo was overpriced and I was also worried about rather negative reports I have read. I think I will follow your advice and suggest my son steers clear of this one!

Do you know anything about the Mazda 323F 1500? Saw a 1998 S reg 50k miles for £2,100 with new clutch just fitted, 1 year MOT and 3 months warranty from a delightful elderly guy who runs a small garage saleroom locally and who has a good reputation for being trustworthy. He also has a Ford Focus W reg for £4650 but I don't have any more info on this one at the moment.

Again thanks for your help
Many thanks for your helpful reply. I had thought the polo was overpriced and I was also concerned about some poor reports I have read.

Do you know anything about Mazda 323F 1.6 1998 S Reg 50k miles with brand new clutch, 12 months MOT 3 months warranty price £2,100
also a Ford Focus W reg £4650 - sorry I have no more info on this until tomorrow. Both are from a small local garage saleroom owned by an elderly chap who has a very good reputation for being trustworthy.

Again thanks for your help!