What small Car - CheapNcheerfull
Well looks like the old AX diesel could be on it's last legs, not too sure but the clutch seems strange, although it was changed about 3 yrs ago. I have always had my doubts as when I bought it @ around 45k (now 118K) I was told that it had a replacment already. The reason the last one went was the lever inside snapped and caught the Pressure plate.It was only welded back together as a repair the last time and I suspect it may well be occuring again, I'll just wait and see !!!! Anyway if it does go faulty, the car will not be worth reapairing.

So could possibley up for a replacment but what ?

Town Car
Small
5 doors
Ideally £5k Max
As young as poss
Petrol 1.0 - 1.3
And (long shot) ISOfix capability.
I really want a Yaris but the prices seem OTT to me ?

Suggestions or recommendations please.
What small Car - frazerjp
A new Ford Ka is a good bet, as they have good deals going on at the moment specialy with the base model, not sure about the ISOFIX thingy though mine doesnt. But they are good round town as well as outside town too!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
What small Car - PR {P}
You could probably get a new (or nearly new?) Fiat Panda for that money. Very highly rated. Nice to sit in!
Ka, thought they were only 3 doors ?
What small Car - y2k+4
Your budget would only get you a fairly old Yaris I'd imagine...perhaps a Clio or a Corsa would be sound alternative choices?

TBH, I've heard good things about the Kia Picanto and the FIAT Panda too, but I'm not sure which is considered better, and it would probably be a subjective thing anyway.

If your heart is set on Japanese models, then an old-shape Micra should easily be within reach (unsure about a new one), and also a Citroen C2/3 would possibly be in your budget too.
Can't stand the old Micra, Citroen and Fiat ? The reason I would like a Yaris is the reliability, can the French or Italian makes match it. I will take a look at the Fiat as it looks good. The only reason I had the Ax was that it was the smallest diesel engine around. I did find the parts to be a horrific price but with GSF now stocking them it's not so bad, so maybe the C2 could be worth a look ? I'll have a hunt around, what about the fiesta.
What small Car - y2k+4
KIA is quite a reliable manufacturer as I understand. Admittedly the others aren't that great, though the Clio is supposed to be pretty good.

I forgot to mention the Hyundai Getz, again a good car, reliable manufacturer, and it has the bonus of a 5 year warranty from new (so you'll easily manage to get a 3 year one on a second-hand model)...
What small Car - blue_haddock
From our dealership £5k will get you a basic 53 plate 1.0 T2 3dr Yaris, the cheapest 5 dr we've got is an 04 plate 1.0 5dr which will set you back £6k.

You should be able to get a 2 year old one in a private sale for around £5k, maybe just a little bit over.
Yaris good deal or not ? - CheapNcheerfull
Ok been doing some searching,is this a good deal.

Yaris 1

1.0 GS
38000 miles
FSH
Silver
5 dr

or

Yaris 2

1.3 GLS with a/c, e/mirrors, remote c/l
40200 miles
FSH
Silver
5 dr

both at 4995 and both with ISOFIX
Yaris good deal or not ? - blue_haddock
Yaris 2 is at most 6 months older than Yaris 1 but has a bigger engine and a better spec. Both are now either out of warranty or pretty close to the end of it.

My choice without a doubt would be Yaris 2 but i would haggle the price quite a bit.
Hi BH

Forgot to say that these are both from a Toyota dealer so will come with a 1 yr warranty ? I thought the price was really good especially as it's from a dealer ?
From a main dealer i would say they are good prices, however every used car has scope for haggling! If they won't move on price get them to throw in some accessories instead, eg hey will try to charge for 40 or 50 quid for a set of mats but they cost the dealership very little so push for a few free accessories.

They will almost certainly try to sell you GAP insurance, MOT insurance, paint protection etc These will be at inflated prices - if you are interested in any of the products make sure you haggle on these prices too

Blue

The actual screen price of these are much higher Yaris 1 5995 and Yris 2 5695, but I came across a middle man who is getting them for 4995, I may take a look tomorrow. But on the whole you think it's a good deal ? I will try for somemore discount.
Yeah they don't sound too bad - remember they can only say no when you ask for more discount! :-)

Hi Guys,

I do not want to lash out for a new car, as I currently have a company car that I intend to buy when the time comes, so I do not want more than 15K's worth of 'material things' sat on the driveway. It will only be a run around anyway. I would like to buy private at this would be cheaper but they all seem to get snapped up ......
Yaris good deal or not ? - dylan
Yaris 1 sounds overpriced to me. Yaris 2 sounds like a reasonable deal.

The GS spec is pretty poor - GLS much better. Even if you aren't that bothered about the AC, it will make it much easier to sell on when the time comes. Also the 1.3 engine is the one to have - considerably more power than the 1.0 but little penalty in economy.

Also note that there big discounts on new Yarises at the moment (see drivethedeal). £2k off list doesn't seem to out of the question. So bear that in mind when evaulating used prices.
Also note that there big discounts on new Yarises at the
moment (see drivethedeal). £2k off list doesn't seem to out of
the question. So bear that in mind when evaulating used prices.

Yes you can get over £2k off a new yaris (although that would be a top of the range model). A new 1.3 5dr Colour Collection with Air con and spoiler can be had for £8200. This is a better spec than the T3 and you would be the first owner of the vehicle.
Errrrgggg

Not wnating to rant and rave but the Yaris 2 was sold whilst I was on my way to the dealer, despite him knowing I was on my way. But then I suppose he was making more money from whoever bought it than he would have from me....

Blue, Is this a good deal, if I could get it at 5K

5,917 miles Caldera Red Metallic Colour collection 5dr
Manual Petrol

Finished in Caldera Red Metallic with elipse grey cloth interior. Specification includes power-assisted steering, anti-lock brakes, driver and passenger air bags, key central door locking, front electric windows, glass tilt/slide electric sunroof, single CD player, radio, air-conditioning, alloy wheels, electric door mirrors, front/rear head restraints, 5 speed manual gearbox, driver seat height adjustment, rake adjustable steering column/wheel and immobiliser. Full service history. One registered keeper. ??????????????????//
What plate is it on?
Doesn't matter now as it's sold !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Panda is looking more and more appealing and I do like the look of it, but i think its a 3 star ncap rating....
What small Car - Round The Bend
"Can't stand the old Micra"

You should be able to get a new shape Micra for your budget. I drove one recently .... drove nicely, TARDIS like inside and if, like MrsS's old shape Micra, cast iron reliability.

I reckon it's an ideal town car.
What small Car - Canon Fodder

Have you considered Leasing / Contract Hire C'n'C?

Brand new Yaris T2 D4D is £120 per month [ex VAT] and keep your £5k in the bank?

Just a thought....

CF.
Possibly an idea worht looking into but the problem with your suggestion is that toyota no longer do the T2 Yaris D4D.
What small Car - Adam {P}
Well I've scanned this thread just to make sure my suggestion hasn't already been shot down in flames and can't see any wreckage so here goes...

Fiesta?
--
Adam

no problem BH these deals are not from Toyota direct. This is typical of cheap leasing deals. Brokers get all the 'last season' stock to flog/lease off cheap - rich pickings for the canny buyer.

CF
Trust me you will not find one a T2 D4D yaris - the model has been discontinued for over 6 months if not longer, there are none showing on the Toyota availability system and if you can find me some i'll take them all off your hands.
Been looking around today, does anyone know when a new Yaris is due, and would this affect current 2nd hand prices of current models ?
It is due early part of next year although it depends on how soon Toyota can shift the remaining current model Yaris. The new Aygo is due out very shortly and it is going to be launched properly in the next couple of weeks

It will have a bit of an impact on the current model's used prices but it is a popular car and it will realistically take between 6 and 12 months before used examples of the new ones start to turn up on forecourts - thats when it starts to affect the old models residual.s
What small Car - andyconda
Didn't realise the cost of leasing a small car was so low, CF. At this price, I might be interested myself.

Which leasing company is doing this deal??

Andy, BlueH,

I have found a T3 1.0 for £115/month and a T2 D4D for £125 - these are the adverts, although I hear what you are saying BlueH, so maybe these adverts are a little out of date.

I think they were 24 month deals, 2 months up front as a fee, 10K miles [although it doesn't cost much to go over that figure].

I better not name the actual companies involved, as they would be competetitors of HJ's clients, but if you use the contracthireandleasing website you'll easily be able to search.

The thing with leasing generally is to be flexible - certain cars become over supplied and prices go way down. Resale value is also very important so new models from prestige brands can be good value. At the mo there are BMW 118D-ES' going for £180/month - thats a good deal for an &18k car.

CF
What small Car - Xileno {P}
If you are happy with the AX, then what about a Saxo? Or a C3?

Adski is right, difficult to go wrong with a Fiesta. Good value, nice to drive, cheap to service and fix when a problem does occur.
The Ax gave me 8+ yrs of dirt cheap motoring and the biggest expense was when I replaced the clutch 3yr ago around £170 apart from that the only things were seviceable part and the odd little thing going wrong. The problem is i no longer seem to have the time for cars needing attention and from what I have read the Saxo and C3 fall into this catagory.
Oh forgot to say it gave up this morning RIP, would not go into gear RIP RIP .

So today had a look around, Why are Yaris's si expensive, can get a pre-reg Micra for less than a 2 yr old Yaris !!!!! I am actually not going to take the plunge untill mid June so I have time to look.
So what are tha advatage to leasing.
Blue Haddock what would I get for between 5K-6k, the milage is not to important as it will hardly do any with me so in theory this will even itself out within a few years, and where is your dealership, as the Yaris's (should one Yaris be called a Yari) I saw today were no way near that price unlees I wanted an older model.
Cheers all
Fogot to say one thing I'll miss in my AX in the front seats, nothing gets close to them for comfort !!!!!

Saw pre-reg Micra 1.2s for 6995, any good
What small Car - andyconda
I'll back up what Adski said about the Fiesta. I've been running a Y-plate 1.25 Fiesta for about 9 months now, and it makes a lot of sense as a "use and abuse" car. The fuel economy is reasonable, the insurance is cheap(ish), and the car has no image or road presence whatsoever so there's no risk of theft or vandalism!

Your budget would stretch to a new-shape mk6 Fiesta (mine is the older mk5 model), but I would imagine that much of what I've said above still applies.

Regarding the price differential between Micras and Yarises, I'm surprised the difference is so large, but I assume this is because the Micra's unusual styling hasn't quite caught on and this has resulted in weaker demand. Both cars were well received by the motoring press when they were launched.

What small Car - Roberson
I would say, 6995 for a new shape Micra would be a sound investment.

I had one of these for a couple of weeks as a Hire car, A 1.2 'S'. It was solidly built and spacious. Mashing the peddle into the nylon carpet produced a healthy response, even in 5th. However, I didn't like it. It had the typical new car 'numbness' whereby all of the pedals and the wheel do what they should, but there is no feedback at all. Noise was disappointing; becoming a bit vocal at anything more than 3500 RPM which encourages you to change up at anywhere up to 5000 Rpm.

HJ said that ride was best in its class, but this was the worst aspect of the car i had. I agree that road imperfections were dealt with well (but no better that rivals like the Clio), at anything other than town speed, it was unpleasantly bouncy. Loading it with 4 people failed to rectify the unpleasant bounciness and all people agreed that my old polo rode better than this Micra on the open road.

But its a case of try before you buy. Different strokes for different folks.
What small Car - bimmer-driver
All the same stuff Xileno said for the fiesta applies to the Corsa, except its not quite as good to drive. But IMHO they're even better value.
Anyone know of any Car Warehouse, say 50mile radius of watford ?

Cheers
What small Car - Dynamic Dave
Anyone know of any Car Warehouse, say 50mile radius of watford

Trade Sales in Slough perhaps. www.trade-sales.co.uk
What small Car - Obsolete
Some car warehouses import cars so you only get the 1 year warranty rather than 3 years. Also try a broker such as DriveTheDeal for UK supplied cars. Leif
What small Car - Ex-Moderator
Aylesbury.

Just the other side on the A41.
Mark

Errr excuse my stupidity here but does that mean something ?
What small Car - PhilW
Probably that if you travel from Watford to Aylesbury you will find a car warehouse just the other side of the town on the A41. (Just a guess since I don't know the area.)
Could be, I actually work in Watford and the only one I know of was just outside of Watford near jct 5 (I think, round the corner from costco). Karma 'was' there name. Was as they are now no more.
That explains why about 4 weeks ago I was looking around the cars on their forecourt and went to go inside, but was swiftly lead back outside, being told that all of the stock inside had been sold !!!!!!! 5 days later a sign on their gate appeared saying they had stopped trading !!!!!!!
What small Car - local yokel
How about another cheap as chips AX diesel? here's one www.chris-cars.co.uk/ - MoT's a bit short, but maybe he'd get a new one for a realistic price?
What small Car - Ex-Moderator
Sorry to be unclear. Philw is correct. Leave Watford on the A41, go through Aylesbury and just as you come out the other side of Aylesbury, still on the A41 you will see a large one on your left.
Hmmm not sure if I'm thinking of the same one ?

On the subject of another AX d, well no, although my old one was reliable and cheap, it had reached the end of its life, unless I was committed to spending hr's sorting some niggling issues. With youngs ones to transport I also want a safe modern car, and the AX does not fit that bill for me, if I did not have young children then yes another AX would be considered.
What small Car - barchettaman
CityRover - cheap and a really great car.
Only joking.
Try the Panda, you´ll love it, and that´s a serious suggestion.
Happy hunting.
What small Car - mr b quality
Try the Panda, you´ll love it, and that´s a serious suggestion.

You must still be joking surely?

Town Car
Small
5 doors
Ideally £5k Max
As young as poss
Petrol 1.0 - 1.3
And (long shot) ISOfix capability.
I really want a Yaris but the prices seem OTT to me ?

I would probably go for a Corsa based on your above requirements but I don't know what ISOfix means ?

>> Try the Panda, you´ll love it, and that´s a serious
suggestion.
You must still be joking surely?

I very much doubt it - if you work logically down the list you'll find it ticks pretty much all the spec

Town Car - Pretty much perfect for town driving
Small - Yes it's a small car
5 doors - Yes it's got 5 doors
Ideally £5k Max - You can buy basic one brand new for about £5k from a supermarket
As young as poss - Can't get much younger than new!
Petrol 1.0 - 1.3 - Yep 1.1 or 1.2
ISOfix capability. - not sure on this one

from a rival website:

"....Moreover, the new Fiat Panda is the first car in its class to offer up to six airbags, whilst front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters, three-point rear seat belts, anti-submarining seats, ISOFIX child seat attachments to the split rear seats and an FPS Fire Prevention System are all fitted as standard."

That´s that box ticked.
Mr B Quality, try one, they are a right laugh. Just what a small cheap car should be.
What small Car - mr b quality
from a rival website:
"....Moreover, the new Fiat Panda is the first car in its
class to offer up to six airbags, whilst front seat belts
with pretensioners and load limiters, three-point rear seat belts, anti-submarining seats,
ISOFIX child seat attachments to the split rear seats and an
FPS Fire Prevention System are all fitted as standard."
That´s that box ticked.
Mr B Quality, try one, they are a right laugh. Just
what a small cheap car should be.

>>

I am not too familiar with the new panda more the horrible tinny rustbucket box on wheels my best friends mum had when I was a kid in the 80's !!!

Totally different cars - the only thing that is the same is the name.
They even wanted to change the name - it was going to be called the Gingo, or Gringo, if I remember correctly, but then Renault objected (too much like the Twingo). I´m sure Renault Family can confirm/deny.
What small Car - bimmer-driver
barchettaman is right- it was Gingo they wanted to use but Renault threw a strop so they brought the Panda name back to life.
I think Bingo would have better. Or maybe Dingo.
I think Bingo would have better.

After watching the Aygo Football i wonder what sort of feature Topgear would come up with for a car called the Bingo?
What small Car - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max
A close relative of mine has worked in senior engineering in Ford/Jag/LR for many years and recounted the launch of the top-of-the-range Ford Ka. It almost went to the stage before someone realised that calling it a KA Si sounded a bit like "Kah-See" and thus a toilet. Not a bad car by many accounts so a lucky catch.