Vx Corsa Diesel - Rusty Sump Pan - Cyd
Neighbour has a Vx Combo Van (basically a diesel corsa). The sump pan has rusted to an extent that oil is weeping out through the pan walls.

A new pan is £142+vat from Vx. Apparently this is a common problem.

I can get a pattern sump off ebay for about £60.

What I would like to know is whether any BackRoomers have had any experience of changing these sumps. Can i change it with the engine in the car? And will I need to drop the exhaust downpipe or will it 'fiddle' out without?

All advice appreciated.
Vx Corsa Diesel - Rusty Sump Pan - Clouddz
Cyd, I know about this problem as my Diesel is suffering from it too. Its a very common fault on the isuzu engines, some say its cos Vauxhall did a cheap paint job in the steel sump and the winter gritting doesnt help!

Ive seen that the aftermarket sumps are available from Ebay and from Fueltanksdirect(some motor factors-similar price online). The theory from the Haynes manual says you can remove the lower sump from the upper sump casing without removing the exhaust, just slide it in as the Sump has a shape to accommodate the downpipe. However if the upper sump casing is rusted too then to remove that you'll have to get the downpipe off.

Haynes says you've gotta put a Sump Gasket(avail. aftermarket) and special Sealant(from VX). Ive asked people who have purchased the sump from ebay and they say they didnt bother with the gasket...but I'd rather not risk a leak and do the job twice!
One guy said that the rust was so bad it had rusted into the sump bolts and he had to renew a few.

Im going to do this job too so please let me know how you get on!
BTW which engine is it? 1.5 or 1.7?
Vx Corsa Diesel - Rusty Sump Pan - Clouddz
Edit: I checked what the other people did and they all said they had to drop the manifold/exhaust!
Vx Corsa Diesel - Rusty Sump Pan - Dynamic Dave
they all said they had to drop the manifold/exhaust!

That is true of petrol engined sumps as the oil pick up gets in the way of removing it if the downpipes are still fitted. I imagine the diesel sump *can't* be all that different.
Vx Corsa Diesel - Rusty Sump Pan - Cyd
It's a 1.7 and is fitted with a pressed steel sump not the two piece sump shown in the pics in the haynes manual.

Did your other correspondents say whether they undid the manifold from the head or the downpipe from the manifold? i suspect the former would be easier?

Also any idea how long it might take a very competant DIYer with the vehicle up on stands? 2-3 hrs?