306 Remote Locking - ian_g
Hi, this is my first post and I wonderd if any of you knowledgable people could offer advice.
I've recently purchased a 1998 Peugeot 306 which has remote central locking. The problem is that you need to be behind the car virtually touching it before the thing will work. It does lock and unlock I just thought the range may have been better and it would actually work in front ot the car. I've changed the batteries in the key but it's still the same.

Any ideas please ?

Regards

Ian
306 Remote Locking - bimmer-driver
If its infra-red remote locking like my '97 106 was then you do need to stand close, the key needs a 'line of sight' to the reciever.
If its infra-red itll have a tiny light bulb type thing sticking out of the key somewhere, and there'll be a reciever somewhere visible in the car. Mine was a black dome thing next to the interior light.
306 Remote Locking - Dynamic Dave

As Corsa-driver says. Stand by the drivers door and point the fob towards the interior light. As you say, it won't work when stood at the front of the car as the sensor is unable to pick up the IR signal.
306 Remote Locking - Andrew-T
Sounds to me as if some part is weaker than it should be, for some reason. My 99T 306 will react from 5 yards away in almost any direction, sometimes 10. The key certainly has to be pointed somewhere near the internal rear-view mirror.
306 Remote Locking - SjB {P}
Agree with the consensus of comments.

The infra red remote control on SWMBO's 1994 306 will sometimes lock and unlock the car at up to about five yards away, but usually not until within a couple of yards. The plipper does need to be aimed reasonably accurately at the rear view mirror though.

Out of interest though, whilst walking towards my V70 in an otherwise empty airport car park, I tried the "Top Gear" trick of holding the (radio) remote control against my head whilst I repeatedly pressed the 'unlock' button.

The result was that the car unlocked at something getting on for 100 yards! With the remote held 'normally' by my side, the car wouldn't relock, but as soon as held against my skull again, the car relocked on command!

My human frame amplifier therefore more than doubled the available range!
306 Remote Locking - mjm
Andrew, it could be that your T reg has a radio transmitter, rather than infra-red. I run a Citroen, similar parts to Peugot. My BX's were directional and short range. My Xantia, also T reg, is not directional and also has a much longer range.
306 Remote Locking - ian_g
Would the reciever be the black dome inside the car, next to the interior light and near to the switch for the sunroof ?

My key has an LED on it, like a TV remote, would this make it IR?

Many thanks for the advice.

Ian
306 Remote Locking - Dynamic Dave
Would the reciever be the black dome inside the car,

Yes.
My key has an LED on it, like a TV remote, would this make it IR?

Yes again. To test the plipper, tune a portable radio to AM and hold the plip close to the radio. You should hear beeping coming through the speaker. Alternately point it at a digital camera or cctv system and you'll see light pulses - if it's working that is.