Tyreweld - Huw
I have a Picasso and a spare wheel but I read that the life expectancy of the underslung spare is short. I am considering storing it in the garage and relying on Tyreweld or similar 'blow it up and repair it' stuff.

Anyone used it? Do you have to 'take it steady'? How long does the repair last for? - and any other info appreciated
Tyreweld - martint123
I carry a tin on the bike, but haven't needed it yet.

Yes, take it steady.
There isn't enough 'air' in the tin to fully inflate a tyre so you have to get to a garage or use a pump to fill it up.
Me, I'd try to get the tyre changed the same day.
Possibly expect to pay more for the replacement as the gunge takes some extra time to clean off.
I think most places will only replace a tyre and not attempt to repair it if 'gunged'
If your puncture is caused by hitting some debris and is a split or similar, then it won't work.

ISTR you can get a locking device to keep your spare secure. 'Forum Search' to the right may find some reference.

Martin
Tyreweld - Stuartli
These links may provide some food for thought...:-)

www.sparewheeltheft.co.uk/spare-wheel-thefts-vauxh...l

www.holtsauto.com/hints/index.html

But I do seem to recall that at one time (IRRC) some people had problems trying to get their tyres repaired after using it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Tyreweld - Dynamic Dave
Tyreweld or similar 'blow it up and repair it' stuff.
How long does the repair last for? -

Unless they've changed the formula, it used to be only a get you home or to the nearest garage type product. Personally I wouldn't rely on it as making a permanent repair.
Tyreweld - LongDriver {P}
At least Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra doesn't suffer the same problem with theft of spare wheels as the Zafira and the Picasso - you're lucky if you can get the spare wheel off AT ALL on these.

Another reason to get some TyreWeld, although you probably need a crate-full for the size of tyre!!!
Tyreweld - Huw
Thanks for the comments and advice. I've only owned the Pic for a few weeks so I am not keen on drilling holes in the floor of the boot, nor am I keen on relying on a tyre that only alows you to 'take it steady', nor on keeping the spare in the boot as some suggest.

I guess its make your mind up time. I have bought a heavy chain and will loop it through the tow loop and the tyre. It might be enough to make a thief think s/he could find an easier tyre elsewhere.

I see the tyreweld is on ebay for only a few £ so I might get one 'just in case'. I've spent my money less wisely in the past......I passed a chap changing an offside tyre on the motorway yesterday; It didn't look like he was terribly comfortable - but then again driving off the motorway as 30mph might not be too comfortable either.
Tyreweld - spikeyhead {p}
I see the tyreweld is on ebay for only a few
£ so I might get one 'just in case'. I've spent
my money less wisely in the past......I passed a chap changing
an offside tyre on the motorway yesterday; It didn't look like
he was terribly comfortable - but then again driving off the
motorway as 30mph might not be too comfortable either.

This seems like money well spent for everyone. There's not many people who can undo the wheel nuts on a car when they've been done up with an airgun and then left to corrode for a year or so. If the puncture happens somewhere where its dangerous to change the wheel the a few mins to try the tin seems like money well spent to me, even if you only use it to drive to the next junction of a motorway and find somewhere safer to change the wheel.

--
I read often, only post occasionally
Tyreweld - Greylag
Given the number of tourists who have been robbed in Spain by so-called helpful fellow drivers when they have had to stop to replace a tyre after their vehicle has ?acquired? a puncture at a previous rest stop, carrying can of Tyreweld reduces the risk of robbery considerably.
Tyreweld - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think you might find that, if you flew to Spain, you couldn't take Tyreweld in your checked in or cabin luggage. If you drove there no problem, obviously.
Tyreweld - Clanger
Regardless of the theft issue, the key to easy access in the PSA underslung spare wheel is to take it out twice a year, check its pressure and grease the screw threads. If you don't like getting your hands dirty, I am sure that your garage would do this for you. Every time I change cars, I do a wheel replacemnet simulation but that's just my anorak genes.

I have no idea why the life of such a wheel should be short. Protected,as it is, from sunlight, it's life should be longer.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Tyreweld - blue_haddock
Another option is a stuff used by mountain bikers but it can be used in car tyres - it's a similar stuff but you put it in the tyre before anything happens, then if you do get a puncture the goo seals the hole pretty quickly and you just need to add a bit of pressure back into the tyre.
Tyreweld - Bromptonaut
As others have said Tyreweld produces only a temporary repair, and there are plenty of scenarios where it's useless.

FWIW I've had, over 15 yrs, PSA underslung spares on 2 BXs, 205, Xantia and (albeit only for a month so far) a Berlingo. All ran on bog standard steel wheels, guess alloys are more nickable, but I never lost a spare. Good practice to drop the carrier every six months and grease the threads etc (and clean everything up). No probs with the life of the tyres etc, the second BX went to to the scrappy with a seven year old but still serviceable spare.

The Pug 104 and derivatives kept their spares under the bonnet on top of the engine!
Tyreweld - v8man
I've owned Peugeots too and found putting the spare wheel in a dustbin liner kept it in good nick and clean when you needed it.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Tyreweld - tonyl
I've had to use Tyreweld on 4 occasions, couple of times on a motorbike and a couple in a car. Funny thing is my experience was exactly the same for bike and car, ie worked ok one time and was useless on the other.

Seems to me that Tyreweld is ok for small-ish leaks, as long as you follow the caveats talked about up thread. The problem it has is when the damage to the tyre is severe, like when the tyre/rim seal is badly damaged.

So bottom line is yes the stuff has its place and might (if you're lucky) get you out of a hole, but don't rely on it.
Tyreweld - eurocourier
I've never got on that well with Tyreweld or Finilec type repair kits. They only work on the tiniest of holes, and as has been said the can won't be capable of inflating the tyre properly which could be an issue if you're in the middle of nowhere.

Pretreating a tube or tyre with Slime is more effective. I compete in motorcycle enduro events where routes often go through gorse/forest/bracken etc.