Running In - richard price
new car first service due 10k miles or one year handbook contains no reference to "running in" (should I have an early oil change) engine 2.5ltr V6, I could ask the main dealer but prefer a wider opinion. Happy New Year.
Re: Running In - marko
Get the dealer to change the oil and filter after 1500 miles - it's worth getting this agreed for free as part of you purchase negotiations as the cost to him is minimal.

I think modern cars still need running in - despite what the salesmen tell you - keep to 60% of max revs for first 5,000 then stretch it out until you get to the first official service.

Of course if you intend to trade it in 3 years down the line you won't be the beneficiary of your husbandry, but I like to keep a car over maintained anyway

Cheers
Re: Running In - Roger Jones
Do everything gently for the first 1000 miles, then push progressively to the limits over the next 3000+, but in short bursts. Above all in the first phase, vary your speed frequently and avoid prolonged periods at constant speed. That's just my opinion as an amateur, but I hope it makes sense.
Running In - David Lacey
Or do a search here - this has been discussed here at great length before....
Re: Running In - Nipsy
Running in is beneficial and HJ did an article on it in the Telegraph a month or two back - but I cant find it now. Previos advice is good but I dont think you should change the initial oil until 12 months or 10k Hope it helps and somebody might be able to find the article mentioned
Re: Running In - Moosh
Honest John's post on 16-12-01

"Sorry, I don't agree with David about changing the oil and filter at 2.5k. I wouldn't change until the engine has done at least 10k and only after that start changing oil and filter every 5k. Definitely DO NOT fill with synthetic oil at 2.5k or the engine may never loosen up. Not exceeding 4k revs for first 1,000 miles, fine. After that, build up by 1k revs for every 1,000 miles travelled, so by 4,000 miles you are regularly hittling 7k".
Re: Running In - alvin booth
Everyone seems to have a different opinion on this.....
even the manufactures can't make their mind up.
Personally I think they should be run in and have a first oil change at 1000 miles.
In fact Perkins say that they put a special oil in to facilitate running in and this should be changed at 1000.
Alvin
Re: Running In - Pete
The oil supplied in a new car is of a very high quality and should not be changed until the first recommend service indeed changing it before could invalidate you warranty.
HJ has also recommend NOT to change the oil early (see previous threads under this often mentioned subject) , it helps to bed the moving parts in .
Regarding running in my personnel view is to take it steady the first 1k ,no full throttle unless you have to (as i did pulling out on some one i didn't see).And gradually increasing revs as miles pile on.But this is really for peace of mind driving from day one normally would probably make no difference.
Re: Running In - Tomo
If you stick to all the speed limits in a decent modern car it will NEVER be properly run in, so why worry?!