Car buying strategy - top turkey
Hi there.

I currently have a W reg petrol Vectra and do 23k private miles per year, mainly on Mways. The car currently has 61k on the clock, so within the next 2 years or so, it will be at the 100k mark and perhaps ready for a replacement. If it goes on longer - great. However, if it starts to creak under the strain, I'd welcome some ideas about the replacement.

Option 1.

Get a similar kind of car, but diesel. No thrills, nearly new around the £7k - £8k kind of territory. Perhaps another Vectra or Mondeo with 20k miles on the clock. Basically, a reliable motor to do the 84 mile commute, with a 12 month dealer warranty.

Option 2.

Go for a more presteige brand, again, diesel. I'd love a BMW. Spend more, get a better car. Keep for longer, as would last longer being better built (that's an argument not a statement!)Residue value would be higher due to marque of car, so could pursue 1 if felt taken wrong decision.

Option 3.

Go for small fun petrol coupe (MR2, Mazda) and when wife's S Reg Fiesta is due to for a replacement, get an MPV style of vehicle to cater for family days out.

I think I am between option 1 and 2 at the moment. Car needs to be able to accommodate 2 adults and 2 children (until option 3 is a reality).

What would you do?

Cheers.

TT
Top Turkey - the fastest hands in Brum
Car buying strategy - BB
I was in the same position as you except that I cover around 30k a year.

Option 1 was the best for me. I bought a 1 year old Toyota Avensis (2002 MY) with 2 years warranty remaining. It is the one that you would lose less money on, unless you went for bangernomics.

I couldn't part with the cash for a prestige brand when I new that in 3 years it would have done an extra 90k and not worth much ££££ at all.
Car buying strategy - top turkey
I think that is where I currently am.

However, when I see 3 series and 5 series BMs going for £9k - £12+ on ebay with 130k miles on the clock, I wonder to myself if that kind of mileage is problem. Surely people would not be paying that kind of cash for a car with only a very short shelf life left? Perhaps I need to re-evaluate what 'high miles' is?

Cheers.

TT
--
Car buying strategy - SjB {P}
I purchased a new V70 2.4T SE in March 2003, and intend to keep it for a minimum of five years, and anything up to ten. When my wife's ten year old 306 1.8 Sedan reaches the end of it's life - no signs so far, with perfect reliability - she wants to take the Volvo over. This suits me fine, because I can then get my Elise or Atom! :-) I work from home when in the UK, so day to day practicality is less of an issue. Of course, if we have sprogs by then, or my work has changed, this plan will doubtless go out of the window...

BTW, 130k miles, especially if accumulated in a short space of time, is barely once round the block for a well engineered car.
Car buying strategy - Aprilia
I think that is where I currently am.
However, when I see 3 series and 5 series BMs going
for £9k - £12+ on ebay with 130k miles on the
clock, I wonder to myself if that kind of mileage is
problem. Surely people would not be paying that kind of cash
for a car with only a very short shelf life left?
Perhaps I need to re-evaluate what 'high miles' is?
Cheers.
TT
--

>>

I would only buy a high-miles car if I were going to do relatively low miles in it myself.
If you are covering 20-30k miles a year then you don't want to start out from, say, 130k and no manufacturers warranty.
A BMW engine will not last any longer these days than a Ford or GM engine block - they are all well designed and capable of, probably, 200k (assuming regular servicing and a little luck!). From the cars I see it tends to be ancilliaries that give trouble - i.e. alternators, starters, water pumps, ABS system etc etc.

People pay high prices for relatively new, but high mileage, BMW's because they want a 'prestige' car on the drive and know that there neighbours can't see the odometer!

From a practical perspective, in your sitaution, I would go for a newish car (still under 3-year warranty), relatively low mileage with a good repuation for reliability (that means Japanese, or Ford - which is improving by the year).