valeting/scratches - wonderwheels
Just wondering what the consenus was with regard to car cleaning products.What is considered to be essential when cleaning a car properly (obviously a bucket and sponge).I have read reports of clay bars being used to thoroughly clean the paintwork prior to polishing,something I had never heard of.Prices vary greatly from products Halfords stock to "high-end" products that can cost £50 for a small tub (i.e. carnauba wax).Just curious to see if the stuff I am buying is a waste of time if I am looking for a "showroom" finish.I used o use Auto Glym and was happy with that but is it really any better than Turtle Wax products??

Also looking for feedback on the best product/method of removing scratches.I own a Metallic black 04 Vectra and I am convinced that on each of the 3 occasions that it has came back from the Dealer (Warranty work) there has been a new scratch added.Obviously I can't prove this, so the next best option is to try to remove them if possible.
valeting/scratches - Vansboy
Crikey - I'll be on commission, in a minute!!

Check www.meguiars.co.uk & have alook at their hints n tips.

Also the lower post regarding 'Best Wax'.

But to add my input - plenty of water & rinsing before you think about waxing/polishing.

VB
valeting/scratches - ihpj
I am convinced that
on each of the 3 occasions that it has came back
from the Dealer (Warranty work) there has been a new scratch
added.

You're not paranoid man. When I had my spanking new Passat I made it clear to the Service department that they needed to be 'superextracareful' with my car for if I found any damage, ANY damage, then I would not be best pleased. I resported to walking round the car with the Service Manager before and after servicing - why not? I paid £20k plus for the car and bought it spanking new.

Never had a problem or issue. Maybe this'd work for you?

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
valeting/scratches - Altea Ego
I own a Metallic black

Ouch! you only have to breathe on them and they show a scratch. Dont tell me - it has light grey undercoat?
valeting/scratches - Civic8
>>then I would not be best pleased. I resported to walking round the car with the Service Manager before and after servicing

In all the time I worked in a M/D.Not one car went out without a scratch however minor..Its not physicaly possible without covering vehicle totaly to protect from the elements.If you think for one minute you will get a perfect car/Dream on.Their will always be imperfections you and the garage miss!
--
Steve
valeting/scratches - Stuartli
You can buy a version of T-Cut intended for metallic paintwork - another method is to use toothpaste (very mildly abrasive) which also works, believe it or not, on minimising unwanted scratches on audio CDs...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by