Engine oil - overfilling - AlanFC
Taken my new car to dealer for scheduled servicing 3 times now and each time they overfill the engine oil by at least an extra mark on the dipstick. Every time I tell them about it and they take some out, I'm getting cheesed off, they charge me a fortune for their time, isn't my time as valuable?

Does overfilling really make a difference or am I being picky?

Engine oil - overfilling - Stuartli
You are not being picky - the oil level should never exceed the maximum mark for a number of very good reasons.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Engine oil - overfilling - Altea Ego
Where has the extra mark on the dipstick come from? Mine only has Min & Max
Engine oil - overfilling - AlanFC
Not sure if you are being serious, but what I meant was by an amount equal to the spacings between the marks.
Engine oil - overfilling - Altea Ego
Ah - sorry. Err yes that is rather a lot.

You are not alone, this is very prevalent with a lot of garages.
Engine oil - overfilling - Roger Jones
If you're locked into that dealer for servicing (warranty and all that), next time hand them a letter saying that they have overfilled the car on three previous occasions, that you are aware that overfilling can cause serious damage (see elsewhere on this forum for plenty of examples) and that you hold them liable for any costs arising from damage repair attibutable to overfilling.

Otherwise, get away from them as soon as possible and find a competent independent. The more I learn about dealer servicing . . .
Engine oil - overfilling - L'escargot
Overfilling with oil can lead to the crankshaft and big-ends dipping into the oil resulting in foaming of the oil, overheating of the oil caused by the extra power being put into it, and mechanical damage to the big end bearings caused by the extra forces put on them.

--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Engine oil - overfilling - Stuartli
It will also lead to increased oil consumption and burning of the oil during the combustion sequence, fouled plugs and increased emissions; the possibility of engine fires, whilst too much in the exhaust can damage the catalytic converter.

American research indicates that keeping the oil level at its maximum mark can increase consumption by up to four times compared with the low mark and will also prolong engine warm-up...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by